Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foobar2000 v0.9 public beta (Read 272321 times) previous topic - next topic

foobar2000 v0.9 public beta

[span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%']Please see this thread for further announcements regarding foobar2000 0.9 beta.[/span]

A beta version of foobar2000 v0.9 is available for public testing.

The installer will be be offered as bittorrent download exclusively for the first days to preserve server capacities. Later on, it will also be available as conventional HTTP download.

Further beta releases / 0.9 final release date

Neither the release date for the next beta nor the number of betas before v0.9 final is known at this point. We can understand that people are anxious to play with new stuff, but please be patient and don't clog this thread up with questions about release dates. All you're going to get is the canonical "When it's done" answer.

You will be informed whenever a new version is released.

Compatility with previous versions

Components made for v0.8.3 and older will no longer load.

Public SDK

An SDK will be released to the public after foobar2000 v0.9 goes final. This is to simplify bugfixing by ensuring that the bugs and issues people report are all related to / caused by foobar2000 and its official components themselves and not unexpected behaviour of third party components.

Feedback

Please use separate threads for different issues. The thread title should give a good idea about the contents of the thread and contain a hint that it is about the 0.9 beta.

Installation notes
  • Please install into a clean directory.
  • Disable “per-user settings” in the installer if you want to keep your old configuration. The configuration file is not compatible with v0.8.3 and older.
Requirements

foobar2000 v0.9 beta requires a Unicode capable version of the Windows operating system. It will not work on Windows 95, 98 or ME.

Downloads links

foobar2000 v0.9 beta 6
Download normal version
Download full version (currently not available)
Official beta page

Components in normal version
  • Default User Interface
  • Standard input array
  • Standard DSP array
  • Album List
  • Converter [span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'](formerly known as Diskwriter)[/span]
  • Masstagger
  • ReplayGain Scanner
Components in full version
  • all components from the normal version, plus
  • ABX comparator
  • AC3 decoder
  • ALAC decoder
  • Archive reader (supports 7-Zip, RAR, ZIP, GZIP)
  • Audio CD writer
  • Autoplaylist
  • CD Audio decoder
  • Crossfeed DSP
  • Database search
  • DUMB module decoder
  • DXi MIDI synthesizer host
  • Festalon
  • Game Emu Player
  • OggPreview
  • sidplay2
  • Utilities
New features (incomplete)
  • Improved playlist management: all playlists are editable without being active, multiple playlists with the same name, Autoplaylists
  • Field remappings in titleformat scripts: see Titleformat Introduction and Titleformat Reference for details
  • Tag merging: combines information from multiple tag formats on the same file
  • ID3v2 support with padding for fast tag updates
  • Cleaned-up preferences
  • On-line help system for preferences pages (uses the HA wiki)
  • Playback queue (contents are currently not viewable)
  • Instantaneous volume changes
  • User interface selection: if a new user interface is detected at start-up, you can chose which one to use
  • File type associations editor in preferences
  • Ability to reset individual pages in preferences (if supported by the component that provides the page)
  • Enhanced playlist generator syntax; also used in other components like Autoplaylist (details)

Reply #1
At last!

Reply #2
Yay. Now I can finally start updating the Preferences Wiki pages!

Reply #4
Beautiful, thanks

Reply #5
Works for me, thanks to the dev team!
Life is Real...
(But not in audio :) )

Reply #6
It looks like a very good news !! Thanks for this new version ! 
A Dwarf has its own way to fight !

Reply #7
OK, added a list of some of the new features and links to the new titleformat introduction and reference. Your old scripts should continue to work.

Reply #8
Would it be possible for someone to upload it somewhere. I don't use bittorent myself (i'm on 56k), and I'd hate to install a client just to get foobar. I can probably upload it to my ISP space if needed.

Reply #9
Eeerm. Is there a changelog anywhere?

EDIT:  I'm just blind, ignore me.
EDIT #2: So, all further releases will be XP/2K only then?

Reply #10
So, all further releases will be XP/2K only then?[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=299549"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
That has not been decided yet.

Reply #11
On-line help system for preferences pages (uses the HA wiki)

This is an extremely good idea.

richter:  I'm not sure if publicly mirroring this sort of thing is encouraged, so I'll PM it to you instead.

Reply #12
richter:  I'm not sure if publicly mirroring this sort of thing is encouraged, so I'll PM it to you instead.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=299554"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks! If developers permit I can upload it somewhere as well for those who don't use bittorrent.

Reply #13
I don't think I'm gonna get much work done today anymore.. Thank you.
f to c to f to c

Reply #14
Sorry for a possible dumb question, but what changed?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=299534"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think it'd be almost easier to mention what hasn't changed.

Reply #15
This sounds great - thanks to all those involved!

Picking up on comments by foosion and BenniP, is it possible to run 0.8.3 alongside 0.9 beta 3 on Windows XP under the same user profile?

Also, what is the projected timescale for the final version or the SDK? I'm fond of my plugin collection

Oh, and for richter or anyone else that might find this useful, here's an ED2K link for the full version download:

ed2k://|file|foobar2000_0.9b3_full.exe|2020963|5F8CEB64FF64371F72F024DCD1F6EF46|h=IVL6NBZFVO3LWFE4XF5HZ55Y7
W2UWYB2|/

Reply #16
Without a working SDK, how do we port/recompile those outdated modules?

Reply #17
The release of the SDK has been delayed to prevent potentially glitchy recompiled modules from causing bug reports until 0.9 is out of beta.

Reply #18
Picking up on comments by foosion and BenniP, is it possible to run 0.8.3 alongside 0.9 beta 3 on Windows XP under the same user profile?
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes it is possible. New version will install in foobar2000 0.9 beta folder.

Also, what is the projected timescale for the final version or the SDK? I'm fond of my plugin collection
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=299574"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I personally don't know but Peter is usually quick with this sort of thing. This is early beta and I'm sure SDK is to follow in later betas. I hope Case will be able to recompile some of the plugins soon.

Edit: Read post above. It does make sense because most of so called bugs are usually due to third party plugins.

Oh, and for richter or anyone else that might find this useful, here's an ED2K link for the full version download:

[a href="http://ed2k://|file|foobar2000_0.9b3_full.exe|2020963|5F8CEB64FF64371F72F024DCD1F6EF46|h=IVL6NBZFVO3LWFE4XF5HZ55Y7W2UWYB2|/]ed2k://|file|foobar2000_0.9b3_full.exe|2020963|5F8CEB64FF64371F72F024DCD1F6EF46|h=IVL6NBZFVO3LWFE4XF5HZ55Y7
W2UWYB2|/[/url]
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=299574"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks.

Reply #19
Just downloaded it. The preferences seem a little more organized, which helps out big time with usability.

Biggest issue I have right now is that Foobar still doesn't play iTunes Music Store files. Good news is, this is a beta and by past Foobar history the first of many. Hopefully it is added in the future.
iTunes 10 - Mac OS X 10.6
256kbps AAC VBR
iPhone 4 32GB

Reply #20
So, all further releases will be XP/2K only then?[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=299549"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
That has not been decided yet.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=299553"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

i reckon it should......... don't find a reason to continue to use Win98.... ( apart from the computer being slower than PII 233 )

Reply #21
Question...will we be able to select our mode of output?

Reply #22
Seems like the database is always enabled, but you now have to specify what folders are to be included.

Edit: Field remappings are a brilliant idea. Thanks to whoever thought that up.  For example, $if2(%album artist%,%artist%) is no longer required.  You can just use %album artist%.  If it doesn't find an %album artist% tag, it looks for a %artist% tag.  Brilliant.

Reply #23
Seems like the database is always enabled, but you now have to specify what folders are to be included.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=299603"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I would LOVE to see folder exclusion rules (for subfolders of included folders).

Reply #24
Alright I'm getting some serious distortion when I try to play anything in 16bit. Changing to 24bit works fine.
XP service pack 2, Soundstorm 5.1 onboard sound.
Also, the new volume control seems to be very exponential in its shape, perhaps a little too much so? All the volume changes from 100% back to what appears to be very close to 0% occur in the top 20% (alright lets say 40-50% instead...) of the volume slider.