Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Open With action wipes current playlist (Read 792 times) previous topic - next topic

Open With action wipes current playlist

In Windows, when you open a media file in fb2k via file association, the currently open playlist is wiped and the opened file is added. This is an ancient issue, I finally decided to report it. Personally, the last thing I want to have happen is one of my carefully curated playlists to get wiped. Fortunately there's an 'undo' action, but it's still upsetting whenever it happens.

In Settings, I found that under Shell Integration, I can toggle 'Always send new files to playlist: <name>'. But this has the same problem - everytime a file is opened, the previous contents of that playlist are wiped. I'm not sure, but wouldn't it be more reasonable to append instead? Or maybe even have it exist in a temporary void, where it's being played but doesn't appear on any playlist (like what happens if you remove an entry while it's being played).

Re: Open With action wipes current playlist

Reply #1
You need to enable Set "Enqueue" as the default action
| QAAC ~ 192 kbps |

Reply #2
In Settings, I found that under Shell Integration, I can toggle 'Always send new files to playlist: <name>'. But this has the same problem - everytime a file is opened, the previous contents of that playlist are wiped. I'm not sure, but wouldn't it be more reasonable to append instead? Or maybe even have it exist in a temporary void, where it's being played but doesn't appear on any playlist (like what happens if you remove an entry while it's being played).

While you can simply follow Shinsekai's instructions also, why not just make up a playlist name only for files you open via file association but do not care to append to an existing playlist, and use that for the "Always send new files to.." method.  That keeps you from having to remove appended entries from "permanent" playlists as the content of the "temporary" list then gets wiped every time as you have noticed.

Reply #3
Setting enqueue as the default action doesn't help as it still clears the playlist if you use File -> Open. 
Same with the default playlist setting.

Tested on newly downloaded foobar 1.4.2 beta 1 (Extracted portable into a clean place)

But I doubt anyone actually uses file -> open to add files (I don't) so it can stay as is.