Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How about creating a Hydrogenaudio Facebook page? (Read 8271 times) previous topic - next topic

How about creating a Hydrogenaudio Facebook page?

Just a small suggestion that I'm sure has already been thought of; but how about a basic Facebook page for the site? It would be free publicity and of course, the more people who find and follow the forums and then share via Facebook, the more people might contribute to the discussions and the site. ~ Thanks
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?  ;~)

Reply #1
Somewhat off-topic. I recently read this on /. the other day. It nicely sums up my sentiment towards FB:

Basically the advertisement for Facebook should read:

Do you have no idea how to make your own web page - even using squarespace?

Can you not figure out how to mass email your friends?

Are you clueless about how to find free free games on the internet?

Does the idea of signing up for a blogging site scare you?

Does the laborious process of signing into and out of websites bore you?

Does the idea of locking yourself into a relationship with a company excite you - particularly because all your friends use the same company and they force outsiders to have an account before they let them see your stuff?

Then FACEBOOK IS FOR YOU For the low low price of your giving up privacy, you too can simulate the basic internet skills that every single American should be taught in High School.

Reply #2
No facebook for me, thanks.
The most important audio cables are the ones in the brain

Reply #3
No

Reply #4
No.

Reply #5
No.
Kevin Graf :: aka Speedskater

Reply #6
I don't see why not.

Reply #7
Please don't. Facebook has a lot of security and privacy issues. It even forces users to to upload their identity card details.
4-5 years ago I tried to use Facebook but after a few months I deleted my account.

Reply #8
Fine, I understand that some people who don't use Facebook see no value in it, however, a simple Facebook page for HA, Foobar and or Replaygain might also attract more attention and potentially, some good people to the site. Just saying.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?  ;~)

Reply #9
Fine, I understand that some people who don't use Facebook see no value in it, however, a simple Facebook page for HA, Foobar and or Replaygain might also attract more attention and potentially, some good people to the site.

Or it may not. Do you know the Unicef commercial "Like us on Facebook, and we will vaccinate zero children against Polio?" I believe the ad is in part a response to the fact that 99.9% of people who like Unicef on FB are no contributors.

A lot of this Facebook stuff is relatively passive. Like this, follow that. Posting half a sentence here and a pic there. Don't you think people willing to actively contribute and deliver high-quality posts will make the effort to find this site?

Reply #10
Somewhat off-topic. I recently read this on /. the other day. It nicely sums up my sentiment towards FB:

Basically the advertisement for Facebook should read:

Do you have no idea how to make your own web page - even using squarespace?

Can you not figure out how to mass email your friends?

Are you clueless about how to find free free games on the internet?

Does the idea of signing up for a blogging site scare you?

Does the laborious process of signing into and out of websites bore you?

Does the idea of locking yourself into a relationship with a company excite you - particularly because all your friends use the same company and they force outsiders to have an account before they let them see your stuff?

Then FACEBOOK IS FOR YOU For the low low price of your giving up privacy, you too can simulate the basic internet skills that every single American should be taught in High School.

Some of us old timers will remember when AOL users discovered Usenet.

Reply #11
I can't see the problem; FB is nice tool if used properly and with understanding of it's functions, I am using it for years now.
It's 2015, not 2001, and I think a proper FB page will be good for promoting HA, RG and other technologies.
Contributing to community can be done even on FB pages, not only here.
Error 404; signature server not available.

Reply #12
I think things like FB need to be boycotted.

Reply #13
Geez, such cynicism.

Please don't. Facebook has a lot of security and privacy issues.

Facebook has WAY better and granular privacy options than any other popular social network, including nerd-darling Google+ (I also hang around there, and the level of denial and superiority complex of some G+ users is astounding). Pretty much the only thing that G+ has over FB (re: privacy) is that you can turn off broadcasting your "likes" to others' feeds. The problem with FB is not privacy controls, it's perhaps that they're so granular it's confusing for many people. And since it has by far the most users, the complaints are louder.

It even forces users to to upload their identity card details.

Weird, are you sure you didn't just sign up to some phishing site? Cause I haven't had to upload anything, nor anyone I know. It would be pretty outrageous don't you think? It bugs me once in a while to voluntarily fill out some life details, but that's easily bypassed.

Fine, I understand that some people who don't use Facebook see no value in it, however, a simple Facebook page for HA, Foobar and or Replaygain might also attract more attention and potentially, some good people to the site.

Or it may not. Do you know the Unicef commercial "Like us on Facebook, and we will vaccinate zero children against Polio?" I believe the ad is in part a response to the fact that 99.9% of people who like Unicef on FB are no contributors.

Unicef is primarily a charity in need of donations. HA could use publicity, but donations aren't the primary goal.

A lot of this Facebook stuff is relatively passive. Like this, follow that. Posting half a sentence here and a pic there. Don't you think people willing to actively contribute and deliver high-quality posts will make the effort to find this site?

How could they find it if they don't know about it?

Reply #14

Why exactly? "Things like FB"? Do you mean all social media type sites?

I find it amusing that the people that are negative about it are the people that don't use it, have no intention of using it yet somehow they know more than anyone else about it.

And since when has it ever forced anyone to upload ID details? The answer is never. If you did this then you weren't using facebook.

Reply #15

Why exactly? "Things like FB"? Do you mean all social media type sites?

Probably most of them, yes.

the people that don't use it, have no intention of using it yet somehow they know more than anyone else about it.

...which is a large part of the reason why they don't use it.

And since when has it ever forced anyone to upload ID details? The answer is never. If you did this then you weren't using facebook.

Try creating a new account using Tor (or perhaps a VPN or other some other anonymising method): it'll ask you for either ID or a phone number for confirmation.

Anyway, if the FB page was strictly nothing more than a bunch of links to the forums and wiki and maybe very minimal, rarely updated content all of which is also already available outside of FB, basically a lure to get new people to check HA out, then no harm done, IMO.
However, having separate discussions in the FB page and here would split the community and gets a big NO from me and it seems a lot of other members.

Reply #16
I don't like FB either but I don't see the harm, especially if intended as what the OP suggests.

Reply #17
Personally, I don't have a Facebook account. I have all Facebook-related DNS addresses blacklisted in my HOSTS file.

IMHO, If "social networking" must be baked into global internet activity, then a business corporation such as Facebook should NOT be the controlling agent of this activity.
Such projects should only be accepted if they are FOSS (Free and Open Source and have copy-left licenses such as the GPL).
FOSS replacements for Facebook et al are beginning to happen and gaining momentum; for example the GNU Social project.

Here is a list of external links giving more food for thought . . .

Reply #18
I find it amusing that the people that are negative about it are the people that don't use it, have no intention of using it yet somehow they know more than anyone else about it.

It could be said that, as I am a daily contributor to four or five different forums, "social media" is an important part of my life. I like the forum format. I dislike what I have seen of Facebook. Personal preference, not claimed to be based on "knowledge" about facebook.

That does not make me an ideal person to comment on whether or not it would be useful for Hydrogen Audio --- but my personal "No thank you" still stands.

How would it be useful? As a pointer saying "Hydrogen Audio is over there?"
The most important audio cables are the ones in the brain

Reply #19
https://www.facebook.com/foobar2k -- Myself and a few #foobar2000 regulars maintain this foobar2000 Facebook page. I see no reason for HA to have a Facebook presence. Even the foobar2000 presence is pretty... intermittent.

If anyone's interested in contributing, let me know. I can be reached at http://facebook.com/canar

Facebook is a cancer these days and I only really use it to keep in contact with people, as it is nearly ubiquitous among my friends.

Reply #20
Honestly, I've only ever used Facebook to keep in touch with people and event coordination. Some online communities use it for support, but as mentioned by others, we already have a forum.

Reply #21
I vote NO!!!

A few years back, I had to take over responsibility for a forum and a Facebook page for a club I belonged to. Ran into several issues.

Some members would only use the forum and some only Facebook. Therefore, the people on one or the other would complain that they would not getting all the information. I had to cross-post many of the posts from one site to the other.

Although the forum ran well, the Facebook page was filled more with arguments and fights than actual substance. People seem to feel free to do this on facebook but those same people wouldn't do anything like that on the forum. And over the most petty of things. And we aren't talking of kids, these people were all from 40-70 years old.

And this site was closed to dues paying members only, I am glad it wasn't an open forum.

There were other problems with the facebook side, but I don't have the time to list everything right now.
Glass half full!

Reply #22
I think you are all missing the point. Frankly, I'm seeing a lot of "I don't like Facebook, get off my lawn" in this thread. Well, too bad. Stereophile is on Facebook, as are many other audiophile nonsense publications and communities. YOU may not like or use Facebook, but an entire upcoming generation DOES, and your message risks being lost on them if all you have is a now-antiquated web forum.

The fools and fraudsters you all dislike know how to use Facebook and other social media to do marketing. If you're not going to challenge them on that playing field, be prepared to lose some ground. This is precisely the problem in the scientific community and it is why pseudoscience is so rampant in our society. You want to blame the fraudsters but you don't want to do any outreach. In today's world, outreach means having a presence on social media platforms like Facebook.

Reply #23
https://www.facebook.com/foobar2k -- Myself and a few #foobar2000 regulars maintain this foobar2000 Facebook page. I see no reason for HA to have a Facebook presence. Even the foobar2000 presence is pretty... intermittent.

If anyone's interested in contributing, let me know. I can be reached at http://facebook.com/canar

Facebook is a cancer these days and I only really use it to keep in contact with people, as it is nearly ubiquitous among my friends.

From what I see in Alexa and amount of google and bing results, foobar2000 is much more popular than hydorgenaudio, and honestly, I started to know about hydrogenaudio just because someone recommended foobar2000 in a Taiwan forum in around 2002. For those who want to promote HA, why not just use the page Canar posted? For example, post links about some hot topics in the foobar2000 forum would be a great start to get more people visiting HA and register a HA account.

Reply #24
If someone goes ahead and create a HA PB page we have got ourselves rage comic material.