Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: flac 1.3.0 pre-release (Read 99801 times) previous topic - next topic

flac 1.3.0 pre-release

Reply #25
Is it possible for John33's optimizations to affect file size along with speed? That is the case with lossy codecs.

flac 1.3.0 pre-release

Reply #28
Quote from: Erik de Castro Lopo link=msg=0 date=
I will answer what I can here.

Quote from: ktf link=msg=0 date=

No unicode support for Windows either.

Somebody that knows about windows unicode needs to work on this and
supply a patch. I'm happy to help out with guidance and testing.

Depends on what you mean by "unicode support".
Unicode file names? UTF-8-encoded metadata in files?
The latter is a matter of I/O mostly, and should already work (if it
doesn't, it will have to be fixed).
The former depends on what libflac (or flac, if your only concern is the
commandline utility) does with filenames.
Also, do you want unicode support in API? Unicode support in commandline
utility? Unicode support in GUI frontend (is it free at all, by the
way?)?
Also, do you want libflac to remain ANSI-compatible? The API won't
change, that's for sure, so do you want libflac to assume "char *"
arguments to be UTF-8-encoded or encoded in locale-dependent codepage
(if you were thinking of libflac providing a subset of APIs that accept
"wchar_t *" - i don't see that happening).

flac 1.3.0 pre-release

Reply #29
Depends on what you mean by "unicode support".

What I mean is that on linux, I can encode files with filenames that include Cyrillic or Greek characters without any problem. On Windows, it it rejects the file, saying it does not exist at all, because it doesn't "understand" anything but ANSI apparently. I guess that's a compile-time issue?

edit: just to be clear, I can create a file with Cyrillic characters and feed it to most programs from the command line (like foobar2000, it plays the file just fine), but flac will say that the file doesn't exist.
Music: sounds arranged such that they construct feelings.

flac 1.3.0 pre-release

Reply #32
I tried a few files and you are right: the files are larger then with 1.2.1. However, this will not be the case with the final 1.3.0, because the size increase I'm seeing is exactly 4 bytes, probably because the vendor string is now 1.3.0pre1 instead of 1.2.1, that's 4 characters more

I verified this 4-byte difference with a native 1.2.1 build.

flac 1.3.0 pre-release

Reply #33
Maybe Case could provide the patch file instead of the compiled binary, to help out the FLAC devs.

I didn't make source patch as my changes were using Windows specific variable definitions and functions. That has to be made by someone who wants to maintain linux compatibility.

flac 1.3.0 pre-release

Reply #35
If i may breathe a wish for 1.3 final in this thread: I'd really like to see EBU R128 support in FLAC.

flac 1.3.0 pre-release

Reply #36
If i may breathe a wish for 1.3 final in this thread: I'd really like to see EBU R128 support in FLAC.

There is support already? http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=85978

Or do you mean support in the FLAC binaries? This release is mostly about libFLAC, only a few adjustments to the utilities are made.

flac 1.3.0 pre-release

Reply #37

There is support already? http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=85978

Or do you mean support in the FLAC binaries? This release is mostly about libFLAC, only a few adjustments to the utilities are made.

If you want a binary solution, pbelkner's command line tool, flac1770, is a great little ebu r128 scannner, similar to vorbisgain. Works great for scripting.

flac 1.3.0 pre-release

Reply #39
nothing interesting in the new version

flac 1.3.0 pre-release

Reply #41

I prefer software that is available through linux package management. The tool you mention isn't available in any distribution i know of. FLAC 1.3 bundle will likely be widely available once it's released. Plus native support is more smooth to use for various reasons.
Anyway: Great to see development again.

flac 1.3.0 pre-release

Reply #42
The question to update metaflac as part of the package for higher samplerate audio is there since several years now be it R128 or anything else.
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!

flac 1.3.0 pre-release

Reply #43
03.flac: ERROR while decoding data
        state = FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_END_OF_STREAM

Have you found the cause? This might be an interesting case.

I'm just wondering whether 7- and 8-channel support is the only new feature for end users like me...

Aside from lots of bug fixes, cleanups and harderning, a few features were added.
- adding ReplayGain support for 88.2kHz, 96kHz, 176.4kHz and 192kHz files to metaflac
- while it was already present in FLAC 1.2.1, --ignore-chunk-sizes can be used to encode malformed WAV-files (i.e. > 4GB) and this option is now present in the documentation
- support for Wave64 and RIFF64 has been added

I think that's it, but I might have missed something. Here's the changelog: https://git.xiph.org/?p=flac.git;a=shortlog

flac 1.3.0 pre-release

Reply #44

All tests from “check build” passed, so I guess this is not an issue.

flac 1.3.0 pre-release

Reply #45

All tests from “check build” passed, so I guess this is not an issue.

Yes, but flac 1.2.1 decodes and 1.3.0pre1 gives an error, that would be a serious regression right? Or some big bad bug in 1.2.1 which we didn't know about but fixed anyhow.

flac 1.3.0 pre-release

Reply #46
It's difficult to spot this file again in my library. I will try though, later.

flac 1.3.0 pre-release

Reply #47
flac-1.3.0pre2 release (link in first post)

It still doesn't compile here with MSVC out of the box. I get unresolved externals in libflac_static.lib

flac 1.3.0 pre-release

Reply #48
flac-1.3.0pre2 release (link in first post)

It still doesn't compile here with MSVC out of the box. I get unresolved externals in libflac_static.lib

Ahh, yes you are right.  Let me fix that up.  I didn't catch one of these before because I was compiling without Ogg.

flac 1.3.0 pre-release

Reply #49
patch works fine now, flac compiles out of the box