Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: ID3v2 tag parse error (Read 15240 times) previous topic - next topic

ID3v2 tag parse error

I've got several MP3 files with both ID3v1 and ID3v2 tags. Both tags are readable with both Tag.exe and TagScanner. Unfortunately, foobar2000 cannot read ID3v2 tag, and due to this it do not even try to read ID3v1. Here is an example mp3 file with both ID3v2 and ID3v1 which are not recognized by foobar2000:

test.mp3

PS: I'm using foobar2000 0.9.2 beta 4.

ID3v2 tag parse error

Reply #1
That file appears to have a third tag (maybe a LAME header??) appended to back before the ID3v1 tag, which is probably why LAME can't make sense of it.

ID3v2 tag parse error

Reply #3
The unsynchronisation flag is set in the ID3v2 header although no unsynchronisation is applied. If you change the sixth byte to $00 the tag is read.

ID3v2 tag parse error

Reply #4
It's just a truncated MP3 file. I didn't want to post 8MB full copyrighted mp3 coz it would break the rules. This file has only 2 tags: ID3v2 and ID3v1. Check it with Tag.exe by Case.

The unsynchronisation flag is set in the ID3v2 header although no unsynchronisation is applied. If you change the sixth byte to $00 the tag is read.

I hope foobar2000 could read such broken ID3v2 tags like other software does.

ID3v2 tag parse error

Reply #6
What for? So that the authors of the software that wrote the broken tag lose all incentive to fix their software?

Look, I don't care what software was used to tag files I downloaded. I need fb2k to read them and update in proper way. If tag is readable but has some cosmetic errors, why not to read what is readable?

ID3v2 tag parse error

Reply #7
If tag is readable but has some cosmetic errors, why not to read what is readable?

I agree. What's wrong with reading these broken tags? As long as foobar writes proper tags, everything's OK. Maybe foobar could notice in console or somewhere when the tags are broken.

ID3v2 tag parse error

Reply #8
Look, I don't care what software was used to tag files I downloaded. I need fb2k to read them and update in proper way. If tag is readable but has some cosmetic errors, why not to read what is readable?
Get Tag to convert the tags to APEv2, load in foobar, and convert to ID3v2.

Contact tagging app developers and inform them, or just poo through their letterbox.
I'm on a horse.

ID3v2 tag parse error

Reply #9
Get Tag to convert the tags to APEv2, load in foobar, and convert to ID3v2.

I know how do deal with it, just wanted to report a problem.

Contact tagging app developers and inform them, or just poo through their letterbox.

What do you mean?

ID3v2 tag parse error

Reply #10
You say you want to report a "problem", but it appears that you are reporting it to the wrong people.

As fusion suggested, you should report the problem to the developers of the tagging application that wrote the tags (on the assumption that dano's report is correct and that the tags have been written incorrectly).

Alternatively, if you live locally, poo through their letterbox.  They'll soon get the idea.
I'm on a horse.

ID3v2 tag parse error

Reply #11
You say you want to report a "problem", but it appears that you are reporting it to the wrong people.

As fusion suggested, you should report the problem to the developers of the tagging application that wrote the tags (on the assumption that dano's report is correct and that the tags have been written incorrectly).

Alternatively, if you live locally, poo through their letterbox.  They'll soon get the idea.

Do you really think I should e-mail all developers about their soft writing wrong tags? How should I figure which soft was used to tag files I downloaded from website?

Imagine you have a toaster which works only with 220.00 volts. If you have 220.01 volts, it will not work. When you come to service, they say: you should report this problem to your power provider because they supply you incorrect voltage.

PS: Tag is readable, so fb2k should read it. It may give a warning, it is a good idea, but refuse reading readable information is definitely not a good idea.

ID3v2 tag parse error

Reply #12
How should I figure which soft was used to tag files I downloaded from website?
Email the website?  Or curse them under your breathe and use the Tag fix.  Just don't pin the issue on foobar.

Imagine you have a toaster which works only with 220.00 volts. If you have 220.01 volts, it will not work. When you come to service, they say: you should report this problem to your power provider because they supply you incorrect voltage.
It depends whether the standard is 220.00 or 220.01 volts.  In  this case the standard is 220.01 volts and therefore you contact the toaster manufacturer (or see letterbox alternative above).

Do you really think I should e-mail all developers about their soft writing wrong tags?
PS: Tag is readable, so fb2k should read it. It may give a warning, it is a good idea, but refuse reading readable information is definitely not a good idea.
See foosion's point above.

How far would you take this?  Should foobar double it's ID3v2 code to counter all the stupid mistakes that every other crappy tagger could possibly make? Or, should it use a small, fast implementation following the standards?
I'm on a horse.

ID3v2 tag parse error

Reply #13
Fact is, that every program i've tried can read that tag, except foobar. An average user won't know that the tag is wrong, so he would automatically assume it's a foobar bug. So i can understand vasya_pupkins's arguments and i think actually he's right.

But i agree, that much easier is to take a program like mp3tag and fix the tags. Foobar developers can concentrate on much more important things than fixing a bug that affects the 0.1% users that are actually using crappy files.

ID3v2 tag parse error

Reply #14
How far would you take this?  Should foobar double it's ID3v2 code to counter all the stupid mistakes that every other crappy tagger could possibly make? Or, should it use a small, fast implementation following the standards?

It shouldn't double anything. It should slightly change logic.

ID3v2 tag parse error

Reply #15
Fact is, that every program i've tried can read that tag, except foobar. An average user won't know that the tag is wrong, so he would automatically assume it's a foobar bug. So i can understand vasya_pupkins's arguments and i think actually he's right.

But i agree, that much easier is to take a program like mp3tag and fix the tags. Foobar developers can concentrate on much more important things than fixing a bug that affects the 0.1% users that are actually using crappy files.

I wonder how many of those tag readers care if they encounter synchronization sequences when reading tags that are supposed to be unsynchronized?

Oh, and from the tag:
COMMENT = Encoded for DELit Music Navigator
URL = http://delit.net
ENCODER = NetStream AudioLab

There you go, send them a nice flaming bag of hell.

Needs more Wayback Machine to take the crusade for proper ID3v2 support Wayback when it may have helped anything. Now it's just up shit creek without a paddle or a canoe.