Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Pause on screensaver (Read 7370 times) previous topic - next topic

Pause on screensaver

Is it possible or feasible to pause playback when the screen saver is active?

I did a search, but did not find anything on point.  Perhaps I could have searched harder, but searching "pause screensaver" didn't return anything obvious.

I am using foobar2000 v0.9.6.8 at work under XP, and would like playback to pause when I am not working at my PC.

Having it auto-un-pause on SS deactivation would be cool, too, but not as cool as having it pause on SS activation.

Thanks

Pause on screensaver

Reply #1
I think you could use pause on lock assuming your PC locks when it goes to screensaver.
elevatorladylevitateme

Pause on screensaver

Reply #3
Well, that sort of works.  It does pause on locking the PC, but doesn't do it until the screensaver is de-activated.  IOW, it continues playing merrily while the screensaver is active, and when the PC actually locks (when the mouse is moved), then it pauses.  And un-pauses when the PC is unlocked.

I guess I'll just have to get in the habit of locking manually.  It would have been nice to have it do it automatically, though.

Thanks again.

Pause on screensaver

Reply #4
Windows key+L and the pc is locked in less than a second. =)

Pause on screensaver

Reply #5
Although pause on lock would probably work pretty well in this situation, I actually think it would be a nice addition to foo_scheduler, to perform some event after xx HID idle time.
Can't wait for a HD-AAC encoder :P

Pause on screensaver

Reply #6
Windows key+L and the pc is locked in less than a second. =)

I've used the 3-finger salute and enter for so many years I'm not sure I'm retrainable, but thanks.

Although pause on lock would probably work pretty well in this situation, I actually think it would be a nice addition to foo_scheduler, to perform some event after xx HID idle time.

I was going to look at the scheduler component, but hadn't gotten to it yet.  I assume from your post that it doesn't already have this function?  That's exactly what I'm looking for, if I haven't touched mouse or KB for, say, a minute and a half, pause the music, because I'm either on the phone, or have left the office.

Pause on screensaver

Reply #7
No it's not supported, and it's not even sure that further development of foo_scheduler will happen at all, but still it's a great component that can do various tasks for you

That said, I've been thinking that this must be possible by a workaround... If you are willing to give up screensaver, I think you could create an exe from something like autoit3 code (compiler included - script is somewhat alá vbscript). With such code you should be able to send advanced commands to foobar2000 or simply calling the cmdline. You might even have luck launching a screensaver after such command

Note, screensavers are simply exe-files renamed to .scr and put in Windows-directory. I might give it a try this weekend to see if it's possible.

Pause on screensaver

Reply #8
I might give it a try this weekend to see if it's possible.

If you make it work, I will send you an intarweb cookie.  Chocolate chip and walnut OK?   

As far as all the cool things scheduler can do, I'm sure it does, but I just need background music to cover up folks talking on the phone down the hall, so I can concentrate on what I'm working on.

Now if you can make a component that will auto-increase the volume when the blower fan for the A/C comes on, I might send you a batch of real cookies. 

Pause on screensaver

Reply #9
Now if you can make a component that will auto-increase the volume when the blower fan for the A/C comes on, I might send you a batch of real cookies. 

Hmm.... If you are able to get a reading on the fan speed somehow, you could probably attach it to a fan-pin on the mainboard and use Speedfan to perform an action  Btw, foo_scheduler does exactly this!

Pause on screensaver

Reply #10
Running a cable from the furnace room across and down the hall just to adjust volume falls into the working too hard for laziness category, I believe.   

I can probably just reach behind me and twist the knob, if needed.

Pause on screensaver

Reply #11
Thinking further of it, it would actually be cool if you had a program that could adjust output volume according the average noise from a microphone. Some car-stereos has the same feature which are quite useful to adjust volume automatically depending on how fast you drive. Could be a nice addition to a CarPC as well.

Pause on screensaver

Reply #12
Is it possible or feasible to pause playback when the screen saver is active?

As foo_lock doesn't pause when (only) the screensaver hits, I like to mention that the component foo_AdvancedControls has an option to do it.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.

Pause on screensaver

Reply #13
As foo_lock doesn't pause when (only) the screensaver hits, I like to mention that the component foo_AdvancedControls has an option to do it.

Sweet!  That seems to work fine at home, so I have no doubt it will at work also.  I'm not thrilled about the addition to my already too-cluttered tray, but I think the functionality will offset that.

Thank you!

Pause on screensaver

Reply #14
Thinking further of it, it would actually be cool if you had a program that could adjust output volume according the average noise from a microphone. Some car-stereos has the same feature which are quite useful to adjust volume automatically depending on how fast you drive. Could be a nice addition to a CarPC as well.

While that would work in theory, I can picture this scenario:  My boss walks into my office and starts talking, raising the average noise level, so the volume cranks up to compensate, which causes him to talk louder, etc., and I get fired for playing my music too loud.   

Sounds great for a car, but I'm not sure it would work well in an office.