Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_dsp_effect (Read 248231 times) previous topic - next topic

foo_dsp_effect

Reply #25
Sorry touccer, you were right.

Try the download again, should be fixed this time.

I've noticed a problem in the latest version, in version 0.3 when i use the parametric eq to enhance the bass i've noticed an effective increase of bass but with the new version this not happen, and can i know what quality slider should be?

foo_dsp_effect

Reply #26
Sorry touccer, you were right.

Try the download again, should be fixed this time.

I've noticed a problem in the latest version, in version 0.3 when i use the parametric eq to enhance the bass i've noticed an effective increase of bass but with the new version this not happen, and can i know what quality slider should be?

Has been a problem to my foobar configuration, the dsp 0.4 works great 

foo_dsp_effect

Reply #27
Setting quality to 0 causes an infinite loop in most of the effects.

foo_dsp_effect

Reply #28
Known issue.
When it will be fixed: Never. Quite a simple "issue" to work around.

foo_dsp_effect

Reply #29
0.5 released

foo_dsp_effect

Reply #30
Uhhh, something's not right here.

Nothing serious, just a little GUI mistake. Don't rush out another version if you don't feel like it.

By the way, this sounds great. Thanks a ton for porting it.

foo_dsp_effect

Reply #31
Yes, thats already fixed for the next version.
I have one more effect/sub DSP I wanna add for the next version though before that bugfix is out...

foo_dsp_effect

Reply #32
Can you extend Parametric EQ frequency range to 0-20000?

foo_dsp_effect

Reply #33
Done

foo_dsp_effect

Reply #35
Two things.
How does the bass booster work? Is it just a low shelf with a steep slope, a peak, or something fancier? It sounds alright nonetheless.
Is the compressor working properly? I think the release is broken. I'll do a little test in a minute.

And here it is.
The release parameter does in fact change nothing.

Sorry if it seems like I'm being a dick (again). I'm slowly learning how to fit into the forums, and it seems like you guys like proof ready and up front.

foo_dsp_effect

Reply #36
touccer, fixed for next version.

How does the bass booster work? Is it just a low shelf with a steep slope, a peak, or something fancier? It sounds alright nonetheless.

Its fancier, custom IIR filter. Read source for details on coefficients.

Hmmm, could have missed something in the port.

foo_dsp_effect

Reply #37
touccer, fixed for next version.

Its fancier, custom IIR filter. Read source for details on coefficients.

Hmmm, could have missed something in the port.

The parametric EQ gain slider is disabled 

foo_dsp_effect

Reply #38
Woah, sorry about that!
Will fix in a couple of minutes.

As for that release time param....thats a odd quirk. I double checked, and the control is all wired up to the config....
Weird. I might ask Garf about his compressor when he is on IRC next.

foo_dsp_effect

Reply #39
Hi mudlord,
thank you so much for this plugin! 
IMHO Garf's dynamic compressor sounds much better than vlevel - it lacks the volume pumping effects of vlevel. I never found a setting I really liked, and the free vst compressors I found were not much better

foo_dsp_effect

Reply #40
Thank you very much for this useful plugin! I'm especially intrigued about the de-emphasis filter and that leads me to a question/request which may or may not be beyond the scope of your project:

A CD recorded with pre-emphasis (damn you, 80s!) has a special flag set to indicate this option. The CD flag can be seen in EAC and, if ripped correctly, is also indicated in the cuesheet (or could be added thusly). Now, I'm wondering if it would be possible to incorporate this flag detection mechanism either into your DSP plugin or make a dedicated plugin, much like the HDCD and DTS plugins, that would detect and pass the flag to foobar's title formatting functions and activate de-emphasis automatically accordingly.

And lastly (although I'm pretty sure you already know all this, but maybe it'll help others who jump aboard this train of thought) a link for further reading: http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Pre-emphasis

foo_dsp_effect

Reply #41
Sounds interesting, to say the least.

Know any names of CD's which indeed use this? I haven't ran into such CDs in my collection with cuesheets like that, and I mainly rip with FB2K, anyway.
Or at the very least, a EAC ripped CUE with such info?

I was thinking along the lines of a audio preprocessor service, built into the component. That way, you don't need to activate any DSP: its all automatic...

foo_dsp_effect

Reply #42
Sounds interesting, to say the least.

Know any names of CD's which indeed use this? I haven't ran into such CDs in my collection with cuesheets like that, and I mainly rip with FB2K, anyway.
Or at the very least, a EAC ripped CUE with such info?

I was thinking along the lines of a audio preprocessor service, built into the component. That way, you don't need to activate any DSP: its all automatic...

Yes, I have "Heaven 17 - Penthouse and Pavement" for testing, I'll contact you with details by PM. For a more comprehensive list see http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=121188

foo_dsp_effect

Reply #43
Thanks, the test material is good enough quality to test it out with. I just need to get in contact with the FB2K devs for the required API.

foo_dsp_effect

Reply #44
I've installed the Dll, but I don't see any changes in Foobar. I'm using Windows 7 64 bit. I'm using Foobar version 1.1.2

How do you install it properly, I followed the Foobar FAQ and it seems to be installed but I can't find the effects, where are they? What could be the problem?

foo_dsp_effect

Reply #45
... much like the HDCD and DTS plugins

The HDCD and DTS plugins find their clues in the audio data stream, that is not possible with pre-emphasis.
So you must rely on a FLAG in a TAG (or FLAGS PRE line in a cue). Much more tricky.

But a de-emphasis preset in one of the DSPs should no problem.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.

foo_dsp_effect

Reply #46
Not really.

You can still make a metadb_handle pointer, get the current track, and then use the file info helpers to read the relevant metadata to activate the DSP depending on whether preemphasis exists..

foo_dsp_effect

Reply #47
I've installed the Dll, but I don't see any changes in Foobar.  find the effects, where are they?

Do you mean these instructions? Then it should be installed correctly. As these are DSP's they are located in Preferences>Playback>DSP Manager

Note that this content applies to foobar2000 versions 1.1 and newer. If you're using an older version, please upgrade now to utilize the new interface.
Step 1: Open the foobar2000 preferences dialog.
Step 2: Go to the Components page.
Step 3: Click the "Install..." button, or simply drag a component archive to the list.
Step 4: Press "OK", you will be prompted to restart foobar2000 in order to load the newly installed component.

foo_dsp_effect

Reply #48
And as a decode postprocessor service, it may retrieve the metadata from the track at the beginning of decoding and automatically instantiate and return a postprocessor instance that will handle the de-emphasis processing automatically for all supported formats. (CDDA, WAV, FLAC, and WavPack, at this time.)

It can also set and unset metadata which will be available through the dynamic file info functions of the input, so it may indicate that processing has been applied, and so that it may remove the metadata field that triggered it in the first place. Of course, I don't know if the converter applies this immediate metadata information to the target track when converting. In which case, if it didn't, the filter would be applied again on playback, even if you already applied it during conversion.

foo_dsp_effect

Reply #49
Yep, started adding this as a extra decode post processor service. Just like the HDCD and DTS support you added.

Ran into a fundamental issue though with the metadata readers: Namely, reading flags from cuesheets.