Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_dsp_fsurround (Read 285257 times) previous topic - next topic

foo_dsp_fsurround

Reply #125
thank you so much.
i think your plugin is best to use with dolby headphone wrapper.
i hope you update the final version.

foo_dsp_fsurround

Reply #126
Bug report.  I also like to add more information and correct a typo mistake.

Hmmm.  Options for exact rear-phase reproduction of the sound like earlier versions would be nice (I don't know if it's technically right though).  And the beta has issues that I found don't exist in a earlier version.  Like in the beta according to research shows that setting the rear seperation effects the front left's volume in terms of what is stired towards it.  The left side of the sound is always louder in mono rear encoded in Prologic II comes out with the left rear being louder (which can be seen in Foobar2000's peak level meter).

I would recommend adding a volume control for older computers with crappy soundcards that clip when above 0db on Foobar2000 meters.  I used to own such a machine.  AC'97 and Windows XP and Compaq systems seem to have this issue.  Though clipping is not issue with my newer computer, it still shows up in sound dumps using the DSP.

Here's the older version that seems not to have the issue:
http://uploading.com/files/4c415b84/older%2Bversion.zip/

Can't tell exactly what version it is.

foo_dsp_fsurround

Reply #127
[..] older computers with crappy soundcards that clip when above 0db on Foobar2000 meters.

As a general clipping prevention I suggest to always put foobar's "Advanced Limiter" at the end of your DSP chain. Clipping prevention is all it does.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.

foo_dsp_fsurround

Reply #128
Hey, guys. Is it possible to use this plugin to upmix 5.1 music to 7.1 speakers? I selected "7.1 surround" in the Speaker Configuration option, but I still get 5.1 sound.

foo_dsp_fsurround

Reply #129
This could be the best upmixer out there, if not for one thing:

I have two sources to test upmixers --- "Giant Steps" by Coltrane and "Ege Bamyasi" by CAN. The first is useful because it has a dry, intimate mix with almost no ambiance. The second is useful because it's the opposite, an active mix with an extremely open soundstage and multiple (often panning) sources. Basically, an ideal upmixer would do very little to the Coltrane ablum but would be fairly aggressive with the CAN album.

Every upmixer I've previously tried (PLII Music Mode, DTS:NEO Music, Channel Mixer, ATSurround, VI Suite) practically ruins the Coltrane album. Almost all of the front signal is dumped into the rears, making for a flat, artificial soundstage that extends directly to the sides, as if one were listening through bad headphones. That is, Coltrane sounds like he's blowing his sax next to your left ear while the drummer is sitting directly to your right --- surely not the mixer's intention. Only 'VI Suite' is acceptable, and only if the 'rear ambience' controls are turned down to 25% or less.

CAN, however, works great with all the upmixers --- in fact, it behaves almost identically no matter what upmixer I use. I'm half-convinced that CAN's albums were intentionally mixed for surround-sound processing.

Unfortunately, if you set VI Suite to 25% ambience (as mentioned above, to make it play nicely with Coltrane), it doesn't fully expose the rear information in the CAN album. Only the default settings (with ambience at 75%) works properly. But, of course, this screws up the Coltrane album. In other words, I could find no DSP that correctly works on all material with one setup.

Then I stumbled across freesurround. If you feed it the Coltrane album, almost nothing comes out of the rear channels --- just the faintest reverb off the cymbals. Perfect! I've never heard it sound better. Conversely, the CAN album is opened up even more, to the point that it's practically indistinguishable from a discrete 5.1 mix. So far so good; I was hopeful I'd found the perfect upmixer.

There's only one problem, and it's a big one. On some sources, particularly classical recordings, freesurround is unusable. The rear channels sound like soup of phased artifacts, as if a few frequencies from the front channels had been put in an echo chamber (I believe a poster above me mentioned this, albeit in an unhelpful manner). I've tried fiddling with all the parameters, but nothing affects it. Is this just a fundamental caveat of how freesurround does its processing --- that some sources are simply incompatible? Or is there some other setting or tweak that might help? If this one issue could be neutralized, this plugin would be tremendous.

foo_dsp_fsurround

Reply #130
After messing around some more, it seems the 'phase' errors only occur with older classical material that was recorded live to analog tape. So I think I answered my own question --- freesurround doesn't play nicely with material that has tape warble or was improperly coupled in the analog mix. Not too surprising, and other techniques, particularly VI Suite, work well with these problematic analog sources. So there's still no one-size-fits-all upmixer, but nothing beats freesurround with a good source.

foo_dsp_fsurround

Reply #131
After messing around some more, it seems the 'phase' errors only occur with older classical material that was recorded live to analog tape. So I think I answered my own question --- freesurround doesn't play nicely with material that has tape warble or was improperly coupled in the analog mix. Not too surprising, and other techniques, particularly VI Suite, work well with these problematic analog sources. So there's still no one-size-fits-all upmixer, but nothing beats freesurround with a good source.

Unfortunately I have to contradict myself --- almost all vanilla-stereo sources exhibit phase-artifacting, occasionally so badly that it affects overall pitch. Am eagerly awaiting a new version, because this DSP shows a lot of promise.

foo_dsp_fsurround

Reply #132
I'm trying to convert some stereo sitcoms into 5.1 (mostly to put dialogue in the center channel).

Seems to work pretty well with this component, except during the intro music, I get no drums in the fronts. Is it possible to restore those with some tweaks to the settings, or is that just the way it is?
Can't wait for a HD-AAC encoder :P

foo_dsp_fsurround

Reply #133
Is this project still alive?  Just wondering the status.

foo_dsp_fsurround

Reply #134
So after a long pause I finally got to work on it a bit yesterday (July 4th, yay!). There were two people who independently confirmed that the sound field appeared to be rotated about 10 degrees to the left -- and you were right about this. Thanks for helping me track this down, it's fixed now. This also affected the accuracy of the steering somewhat, which should now be better than ever before (assuming I got it right this time  ).

The other change since the previous beta (0.8.1) addresses crash that was reported by Rollin. I believe that this is caused when some 3rd party library (boost.serialization) is used by multiple plugins in different versions. I changed the way in which it is linked to fix it (but we'll see if that solves it).

By the way @odyssey, I think there's the foo_dsp_centercut component just for this purpose. But sitcoms in addition often put the crowd in the surrounds -- so that's another reason to give it the full surround treatment.

The updated dll is attached to the initial post.

foo_dsp_fsurround

Reply #135
Hi! MAN!! thank you a lots for your job could you create a VST version of your FOOBAR DSP??

Thank you in advance for your anser

Best Regards
Tony

foo_dsp_fsurround

Reply #136
Hi! MAN!! thank you a lots for your job could you create a VST version of your FOOBAR DSP??

Thank you in advance for your anser

Best Regards
Tony

Hi flyingsaucer -- yes, I might do that at some point, although I'm currently quite busy at work (as always...) so currently don't have much time.
But note that you can always use foobar's transcoding features to do offline DSP processing.

foo_dsp_fsurround

Reply #137
Thanks very much for the GREAT plugin.
Ur DPLII wrapper doesn't work for me !!

foo_dsp_fsurround

Reply #138
Released the source code for version 0.9.0 (GPL), it's attached to the first post.

foo_dsp_fsurround

Reply #139
Thank you for your huge work. Please, create a DirectShow version

foo_dsp_fsurround

Reply #141
Maybe I'm just retarded, but I'm experiencing a pretty significant high frequency cutoff when looking at the spectrum while using FreeSurround in 5.1 (surround) mode. Peaks in the 20k range disappear completely and sounds in the 14k range seem to be significantly dampened.

Is this expected/intended behavior? To make sure that it isn't a problem with my 5.1 setup I tried the "Channel Mixer" (foo_channel_mixer) plugin in upmix mode, which doesn't appear to do this.

Edit: Ok, nevermind. After taking a closer look I'm pretty sure it's just caused by the FreeSurround volume being lower over all frequencies.

foo_dsp_fsurround

Reply #142
So, is development on this stalled indefinitely?

Re: foo_dsp_fsurround

Reply #145
Digging up an old post here but trying to find info. this plugin show up to 16 channels. so it's saying that it can run two soundcards for each assigned channel? just want to confirm before purchasing a second soundcard for my multimedia pc.

Cheers.

Reply #146
I don't think so. DSP plugins normally don't interact with soundcards.

Reply #147
damn :/ thanks anyways

Reply #148
I tried the beta version, and dismissed it as unusable. : It sounds bad.
8 years later, still one of the douchiest comments I've ever read. ::)
--------------

FYI- Plugin still working in FB2k 1.4.3.
--------------

Question (and sorry for the necro) Regarding the LFE redirect, can I have some guidance on the lower and upper limit?  I have ORB speakers 6.1 with an Onkyo SR tx502 amp. My speakers are small (2" cones) and the manufacturer (ORB Audio) specifies 150Hz x-over which my amp handles. No bass should be coming through my speakers. Basically I am asking how to not blow our my speakers/override the amp setting with respect to the sub.  Do i Check LFE or not? If so, where do I put the sliders.  Thank you.

Sub spec sheet
Speaker package