Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Biography Discussion (Read 223751 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Biography Discussion

Reply #125
Thanks WilB for the update, much appreciated!
What is the opposite of music?

Reply #126
New Version: JScript Biography 0.7.4

CHANGELOG

FIX: Regression where biographies didn't exist or were very short (in these rare cases, where fetching didn't work with 0.7.3 & a bio hadn't previously been fetched, "Menu > Sources > Force Update" might be needed to obtain the bio).

ADD: Extended album name clean up to strip "Deluxe Edition", "Limited Edition" etc. before searching so that album reviews and covers can be obtained in these cases.

Reply #127
@jazzthieve The examples you quoted either don't have or have a very short actual biography. I had changed the detector for whether a biography existed & essentially if it didn't exist or was short, i.e. likely to be "We don't have a wiki here yet...", or something similar, it was rejected and none of the other extra info saved either.

Anyway I have changed it to a better detector, so very short bios should now be found, and it will also now include the extra info even if there is no actual biography. That will be in the next release. I probably need to test it further though...

@tr0ner. Are "Deluxe Edition", "Limited Edition" etc. part of your tags? The script already does some clean up of album names. I could add these to the list of terms that get stripped, so it always searches for the "core" name, which is more likely to find a cover. If there are any other terms worth including let me know.

Thank you very much for your reply and the update of course - I will test it tonight after work.
 There are some more I can think of now:

Remastered
Web
Mono (for some old bands like the Beatles for example )
Expanded Edition
Revisited

I guess it would be hard to add too many terms without limiting the functionality.

Sometimes it also has problems with -feat / featuring or if it is a collaboration album: Artist1 and/+/&/,/- Artist2 for example.
What I noticed in that case is that often the Artist Bio is found and displayed correctly but the cover is not,

But dont get me wrong the script works absolutely fantastic for most of my albums.

Reply #128
Thanks for the update, really appreciate the work you put into foobar biography!

Reply #129
^ You're welcome.

New Version: JScript Biography 0.7.5

CHANGELOG

ADD: Improved implementation of "Album Name Auto-Clean" + made optional. Strips key words, as required, before searching, e.g. Deluxe Version, [2011 - Remaster], Expanded Edition + many more. Improves search results if such phrases are used in album names. Default is off. Enable in biography.ini ("MISCELLANEOUS HEADING").

@tr0ner. I added "remaster", a bunch of other keywords + "Mono", "Revisited" & "Web". The last 3 are only stripped if in parentheses or square brackets else they aren't specific enough. Regarding a few of your searches where the artist name included featured artists, e.g. Artist A Feat. Artist B., and biographies were found but not covers. Artists aren't normally named that way on albums and so variable results with covers would be expected  - the main album artist name would be better. Similarly, for best results with collaborative artists, album artist names(s) should ideally match those used by the sites for the albums. By default, for review / cover look ups, metadata fields are checked in the following order: "album artist", "artist", "composer", "performer".

Reply #131
Thanks WilB!

Reply #132
Great work! My compliments!
 In my subjective opinion, such a shadow is more expressive.
http://savepic.net/9149094.htm
I propose to replace the line (I suppose so # 922 )
Code: [Select]
if (this.border > 1) gb.DrawImage(sh_img, 0, 0, Math.floor(tw + bor_w2 + imgb), Math.floor(th + bor_w2 + imgb), 0, 0, sh_img.Width, sh_img.Height);
replaced by

Code: [Select]
 if (this.border > 1) gb.DrawImage(sh_img, 7, 7, Math.floor(tw + bor_w2 + imgb-7), Math.floor(th + bor_w2 + imgb-7), 0, 0, sh_img.Width, sh_img.Height);

Reply #133
last.fm has added a new interesting feature to their biographies (reminiscent of what Rate Your Music is doing). Will you be adding the information from the factboxes to your bio component Wilb?

Reply #134
Thanks for making this panel, anything to display album releases?

Reply #135
marc2003 has a musicbrainz jscript panel for that.

Reply #136
Would it be possible to set the display modes for artist bio and album review separately?

I already have an album art viewer, and the art is also displayed in the playlist view, so I have no need for it in the review pane, and would rather have it be dedicated to text. I do however, like the artist picture slideshow.

Also, would it be possible to change how many artist images are downloaded? I wouldn't mind having a few more.

Reply #137
@jazzthieve & San_dr. Requests should be in the next release.

@Bratman. YouTube Track Manager can display fully categorised lists of MusicBrainz releases + last.fm top albums, top tracks & top similar songs. It also offers interactive display of those items for similar artists. YouTube-related functionality doesn't have to be used.

@Climhazzard1997

Would it be possible to set the display modes for artist bio and album review separately?
It's possible, and I did try it, but found changing display modes at the same time as toggling between artist and album styles confusing. Have you considered changing the album art panel to JScript biography & using that to show covers in image only mode? It can easily be toggled to image + review or review only mode (menu or mouse middle click). The separate JScript biography could then be used for the slide show (or toggled to the text biographies). Another possibility is to use one of the panels for images and other for text, with use of simple left click toggles to change artist vs album.

I wouldn't mind having a few more... artist images.
The script auto-adds new artist images periodically (default every 28 days) [can be disabled in biography.ini]. So the number of images will rise. In that way the script selectively picks from the better images and aims to provide a good spread of images. If that's not adequate, the ability to fetch more each time could be added, but that increases the likelihood of some not so good images...

Reply #138
New Version: JScript Biography 0.7.7

CHANGELOG

ADD: Some further info to last.fm biographies & album reviews, where available.

ADD: Option to display last.fm album ratings. Can be displayed in heading, on own line or embedded in text. Rating are calculated from the metacritic score, as used by last.fm, and are only available for albums having such a score (currently ~10,550 albums in total, starting in ~1999). The metacritic score can be independently shown / hidden. Settings are in panel properties (Rating... and Statistics...).

CHG: Refined image shadow effect as suggested by San_dr + improved shadow smoothing.

Reply #139
Hello, a small question. Would it be possible with displaying the artist images show the blur background of the cover ???
Thanks

Reply #140
спасибо, WilB!
Rapid development, convenient application  :))

Reply #141
^ Done. It should be in the next release.

Reply #142
Thanks again for the ongoing development Wil!

Is it possible to setup the plugin to also download covers for albums played over Upnp?
I use Foobar with the component foo_upnp (http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_upnp) Bubbleupnp on my phone to play albums from my foobar library to various devices in my home.

Reply #143
I don't use UPnP, and don't currently have a suitable test set-up to check whether it's possible or what might be involved. It also seems that foo_upnp development has ceased.

Reply #144
Thanks WilB! Really appreciate your great work on Biography panel!

Reply #146
Hi WilB - big fan of your superb job! It enhances so much my music experience, to have these nice comments and one can immerse into the artist and the album. Thanks so much!

I have actually two tabs, one for album review, and one for biography, and I run there two frames, one preferring last.fm info, and then AMG. Love to compare their texts. So I have a good solution to see both.

There is one small issue though. Whenever only one source is available, of course I see the same text twice.This leads to my question - is there an opportunity to have a third preference in sources? It could be called "both if available".

I can send you screenshots how the two texts look quite nice, and give a good reading experience, with the two frames.

In any case, many thanks for your constant refinements and improvements!

Reply #147
Hi I have a request...
i use multiply tag for artist...in biography view only the first artist will be display...any chance to change automatic the second or more artist? or by click?

Reply #148
Hi, this is slightly off-topic (I hope I didn't cross the line). Here is a way to populate genre tags, using biography + MP3Tag sofware.
The idea is to use .txt files generated by biography script. For this, you have to create an "action" in MP3Tag.

ACTION>Action>New the choose a name for the "Action" script.
in the new window :
NEW > Import text file > FIELD = GENRELASTFM / FILE NAME = location of the text file (exemple: C:\foobar2000\wsh_data\artists\%artist%\lastfm\*.txt)
NEW > Guess value > SOURCE FORMAT = %GENRELASTFM% / GUESS PATERN : %dummy%Top Tags%GENRELASTFM%Top Albums%dummy%
NEW > Format value > FIELD = GENRELASTFM / FORMAT = $cutLeft(%GENRELASTFM%,2)
NEW > Replace > FIELD = GENRELASTFM / ORIGINAL =,/REPLACE BY =;)
NEW > Format Value > FIELD = GENRELASTFM / FORMAT =$cutright(%GENRELASTFM%,4)

Select chosen tracks and apply "action". LastFM genres are now stored in GENRELASTFM tag (exemple for BLUE OYSTER CULT, GENRELASTFM should be "Hard Rock; Classic Rock; Rock; Progressive Rock; 70s; Heavy Metal". However they're not yet reconized by Foobar as multi-value tags.

In order to correct this, select all tracks from one artist then, in PROPERTIES, make a change in the GENRELASTFM tag : for exemple, remove unwanted tags  or just add a space, and then remove it. Then click on OK. The GENRELASTFM tags for that artist are now reconignised as multi-value tag.
You have to do this for each artist (I know this may be quite long, but on the other hand, it's a good way to get rid of unwanted tags (e.g: Seen Live, I Owne this Album, The Beatles, or whatever).

That's all !  :D

Reply #149
This is interesting and it works great but you should have started a new thread for it. I want to ask you more about it but I'm not going to do it here since this is Wilb's thread and it would only make it even more off topic. Can a mod make this into a separate topic please? I'd like to know more about this but it has nothing to do with biography so asking here is inappropriate.