Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Self-extracting CD/DVD audio? (Read 4317 times) previous topic - next topic

Self-extracting CD/DVD audio?

From time to time, I have audio files that I want to distribute to audiophiles (pun intended). They may have a very good hifi, but poor computer sound and varying computer skills.

How to make a minimal size file (.rar, .flac, .iso??) that will download quickly and can be burned to CD or DVD/DVD-A (for hirez) without installing FLAC, Winrar, Nero, and umpteen other apps that I usually take for granted?

Ideally, there should be a "self-extracting ISO" that is internally compresed using rar/flac, and that use burning functions built into Windows to putitself onto a CD?

-k

Reply #1
The current Winzip (11) uses Wavpack for compressing WAV files. Putting a CUE and a WAV file in a Winamp self-extractor would get you 'on-the-fly' easyness and good compression. Then direct them to a simple burner - either the one they have or Burrrn.

Reply #2
Alternatively, the later versions of WavPack can produce EXE files, that will self-extract to a wave file with accompanying cue file.

If you create "<name>.wav" with a cuesheet pointing to "<name>.wav", and then embed the cuesheet in a CUESHEET tag when creating a WavPack self-executable, when extracting "<name>.exe" you will get "<name>.wav"  and "<name>.cue" back.  The content of the cuesheet is not changed, so you must ensure that the embedded cuesheet points to the WAVE.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #3
But can you burn wav/cue with Windows? I don't think so, you need a third party application for that.

Reply #4
But can you burn wav/cue with Windows? I don't think so, you need a third party application for that.

Are there any non-installation-necessary apps that can burn wav+cue that could be bundled along with the zip file?

Reply #5
DeepBurner (www.deepburner.com) is free and portable, but handles ISO files only.

I'd say rip the CD to an ISO and drop it into a self-extracting archive with a Readme and DeepBurner. That should work.
EAC>1)fb2k>LAME3.99 -V 0 --vbr-new>WMP12 2)MAC-Extra High