Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Question about speed when ripping with EAC (Read 9127 times) previous topic - next topic

Question about speed when ripping with EAC

Hello. I’m ripping with EAC, secure mode and test and copy with a usb connected external drive to my laptop. One strange thing that I noted while ripping is that the speed changes a lot between different rips (cds in good conditions, without major problems). If I have to rip three cds, I turn on my laptop and open eac, then with the first cd that I rip the speed is between 3.5x and 5x and it takes me about 30 minutes to test and copy a cd that is about 40 min. long. Then, with the second and third cd the speed is reduced to 1.3x or little more, but usually well under 2.0x. It’s always the same, the first cd takes one third of the time compared to the others. Even detecting gaps and creating a cue sheet is faster. I didn’t change the settings, both error recovery quality and extraction and compression priority are set to “high”. There’s no difference between cds that are in the accuraterip database or not, the only difference is between the first one and the others. Thanks.

Re: Question about speed when ripping with EAC

Reply #1
Your main problem is that you are using secure mode. This is very hard on the drive. Trust accurate rip results in burst mode.

Reply #2
“If your drive caches audio data, it may be more efficient to use Burst mode in conjunction with AccurateRip and generate test CRCs for tracks that cannot be verified as accurate. Tracks ripped in Burst mode that are verified with AccurateRip or generate identical read and test CRCs are every bit as secure as if they were ripped in Secure mode.

http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=EAC_Lossless_Backup#Drive_Options

Furthermore, as I told you already, CUE Tools will be able to fix errors provided correction information for the disc is in the database and the amount of corruption is not too large.

Reply #3
“If your drive caches audio data, it may be more efficient to use Burst mode in conjunction with AccurateRip and generate test CRCs for tracks that cannot be verified as accurate. Tracks ripped in Burst mode that are verified with AccurateRip or generate identical read and test CRCs are every bit as secure as if they were ripped in Secure mode.

http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=EAC_Lossless_Backup#Drive_Options

Furthermore, as I told you already, CUE Tools will be able to fix errors provided correction information for the disc is in the database and the amount of corruption is not too large.

Thanks! I’ll try with burst mode, at least for the cds that are in the accuraterip database. Just one more question: defeat audio cache should be yes or no?

Reply #4
http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=EAC_Drive_Options#Drive_caches_audio_data
You should read the whole section but here's a quote
        If the "Detect Read Features..." function reports "Caching : Yes", it is important that you enable the cache flushing routine by checking the "Drive caches audio data" box.

If the "Detect Read Features..." function reports "Caching : No", it is not necessary to enable the flushing routine. Checking the "Drive caches audio data" box with drives that are reported by EAC as not caching will not improve EAC's accuracy. It won't improve EAC's ability to detect errors nor EAC's ability to correct them. What it will do however, is reduce your ripping speed and shorten the life of your drive.
korth

Reply #5
I have another question about EAC, it's related to the CUE sheet creation but I'm writing here to avoid creating another topic. I read the wiki and everything but still I don't understand how this works. I always use create CUE sheet -> Multiple WAV Files With Gaps (Noncompliant) after detecting the gaps but at the end my files look different one from another. Some show only index00, some also index01 for each track.  Anyway, they doesn't look like the example from the hydrogenaudio wiki. Here I copy two examples of two metal cds that I ripped recently without changing anything from the settings:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

and another one:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I don't know what's wrong about them, why my CUE sheets look so different from the examples I found here and there (show less infos usually).

Reply #7
Thanks. Another question. I unistalled eac a few times and also deleted accuraterip from appdata -> roaming because I wasn’t sure it was properly configured. Anyway when I reinstalled eac (with the accuraterip plugin, of course) the window for configuring accuraterip never appeared. When a cd is know there is the usual accuraterip symbol down right in eac and seems to work properly. My question is: is it possible that accuraterip is configured wrongly or if it works then it means that it is ok? I don’t remember how many cds I used for the configuration and in which conditions they were...

Reply #9
That information is retained in the registry.

Why are you worried about something so trivial?

Because I’m ripping my entire collection and I hope to do it only once...

Reply #10
When I use a new drive for the first time do I have to configure accuraterip again?

Reply #11
AccurateRip will offer to configure the new drive when you insert a Key disc.
korth

Reply #12
Thanks!

Reply #13
That information is retained in the registry.

Why are you worried about something so trivial?

Because I’m ripping my entire collection and I hope to do it only once...
Offsets between pressings can be in the thousands of samples.  Besides that, the reference being used for calibration isn’t even exact.

What do you fear the problem will be if Accuraterip somehow managed to get the drive offset wrong?

Reply #14
I still don’t understand the correlation between accuraterip and the drive offset value... maybe a rip would not match the accuraterip database even if the rip is actually correct. For example a couple of cds I ripped recently couldn’t be verified by accuraterip as accurate despite ctdb says 4/4 for all tracks. Probably a different press, but it seems strange as the cds are original first presses in mint conditions.

Reply #15
Let me ask you this, do you have any discs being verified?   I'm certain the answer is yes.

Have you been able to figure out how to second guess the plugin that, quite frankly, you clearly don't understand?

...or is this all based on Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt (and ignorance)?

again...
CUETools CUETools CUETools
https://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=CUETools

It can cross-check against alternate pressings with EAC.  To my knowledge accuraterip cannot.

Reply #16
Let me ask you this, do you have any discs being verified?   I'm certain the answer is yes.

Have you been able to figure out how to second guess the plugin that, quite frankly, you clearly don't understand?

...or is this all based on Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt (and ignorance)?

again...
CUETools CUETools CUETools
https://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=CUETools

It can cross-check against alternate pressings with EAC.  To my knowledge accuraterip cannot.

I read the wiki but honestly I still don’t understand much about the way cue tools work. Especially the “accuraterip support” part. What’s the exact meaning of “album image” in the first place?

In the wiki page of accuraterip I’ve found this: “AccurateRip, as it was originally written, could only verify results for a specific pressing (same data, same offset), though the program's calibration procedure still made checking against alternate pressings possible. A major update to the program CUETools offered a mathematical solution to quickly cross-check a rip against multiple pressings. AccurateRip v2 would later be released to incorporate cross-checking against alternate pressings as well“.

It’s basically what you’re saying, right?

Please have a little understanding. My English skills are weak, it takes me some time to get the meaning of some sentences. I’m just trying to improve my knowledge about the ripping process and understand how to read rip logs correctly. Thanks.

Reply #17
I read the wiki but honestly I still don’t understand much about the way cue tools work. Especially the “accuraterip support” part. What’s the exact meaning of “album image” in the first place?
The common consensus seems to be that the entire disc is ripped to a single file and is accompanied by a simple text file (cue sheet) that describes how the audio data is indexed and also includes other metadata either from the disc or added after the fact.  One could argue that the audio data need not be contained into a single file for there to be an image of the disc.

In the wiki page of accuraterip I’ve found this: “AccurateRip, as it was originally written, could only verify results for a specific pressing (same data, same offset), though the program's calibration procedure still made checking against alternate pressings possible. A major update to the program CUETools offered a mathematical solution to quickly cross-check a rip against multiple pressings. AccurateRip v2 would later be released to incorporate cross-checking against alternate pressings as well“.

It’s basically what you’re saying, right?
Right.

Bottom line is that you rip your disc with into a single file or separate tracks and create the appropriate cue sheet.  You feed the cue sheet into cue tools and it will check the data against what was submitted to the accuraterip  database and/or cuetools database.  cuetools will address any offsets required for there to be a match.  I wouldn't worry about the fine details unless you really want to, in which case this forum contains a treasure trove of information.  Our wiki should hopefully cover most of it.

I tend to get a bit testy when I see people go down the rabbit hole with this stuff when all they want to do is make sure that the audio data is pulled from the disc without corruption.  Hopefully I haven't been too offensive.

Reply #18
For example a couple of cds I ripped recently couldn’t be verified by accuraterip as accurate despite ctdb says 4/4 for all tracks. Probably a different press, but it seems strange as the cds are original first presses in mint conditions.
Although your last sentence suggests the pressing is not new, let me throw in the following:
The CUETools database is updated upon submission, while the AccurateRip database is updated only every xx weeks.
(Also, I am not sure whether EAC submits instantly. I think I remember something about monthly by default, but that could be dBpoweramp.)

You might also try to check the album with https://www.dbpoweramp.com/perfecttunes.htm . I don't remember whether it covers a larger offset range than CUETools.

Reply #20
I'm a native English speaker with a BA in English, and I find the WIKI confusing as hell, much of the time. Clearly, the author or authors are at that point at which they are unaware what it means to be new to what are, essentially, highly technical processes, and they generally exclude background information at key points that would otherwise help new users set up EAC and avoid common pitfalls.

I've used the software since the late 90's and I do not understand it very well, in part due to the documentation and in part due to the simple fact that I don't use it every day or work in IT.

It would be fantastic to have a good technical writer flesh out the WIKI with some of the background information so many take for granted. I well imagine this would prevent many posts that irritate more experienced users.

On my primary system, I had Secure mode selected with "Drive has 'Accurate Stream' feature." I, too, notice slow downs with successive discs—even brand new discs. I have been getting read or sync errors on new discs, or discs without visible damage, I'll put the same discs in another computer running EAC (with the same options selected, mind you) and rip without issues. The primary system features cheap Samsung SH-222AB optical drives.

I will take of of these "problematic" discs and try again with Burst mode selected. What the heck.

==> I switched to Burst mode, and the program was no longer able to get through detecting gaps. Flipped Secure mode back on, and the software detected gaps on the disc successfully. Perhaps there is more to do than just switching options in a single window?