Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Is there a way to invert sort order in playlist? (Read 2814 times) previous topic - next topic

Is there a way to invert sort order in playlist?

Is there a way to invert sort order in playlist? changing from ascending to descending?

the actual problem im trying to solve is: i have several .FLAC and .MP3  files in a single folder. They all have the same name (rush.flac, rush.mp3, foo.flac, foo.mp3, bar.flac, bar.mp3, and so on). The mp3 are tagged, the flacs are not. I guess that the easiest way to tag the flac was to use Copy Tag option in foobar masstagger.

but it seem that, for it to work (proper tags going to proper files), it requires the following playlist:

1 - bar.mp3
2 - foo.mp3
3 - rush.mp3
4 - bar.flac
5 - foo.flac
6 - rush.flac

but the default order the playlist is generated when i load the dir is:

1 - bar.flac
2 - bar.mp3
3 - foo.flac
4 - foo.mp3
5 - rush.flac
6 - rush.mp3

(by the way... can masstagger Copy Tag be configured somehow to match files in such order?)

Using $ext(%_path%), i could manage to separate the flacs and mp3s, but the flacs still go on top of the mp3. Thats why i need to invert the playlist order, so the mp3s go first. Or am i missing something ?

How to?

and, again, sorry if the question is silly. im using foobar2000 for less than a week. already in love with it, and learning a lot... its just sometimes i cant find the answer anywhere. (any reference manual out there?)

Reply #1
Using $ext(%_path%), i could manage to separate the flacs and mp3s, but the flacs still go on top of the mp3.

There's no tagz function that will reverse the order as far as I know, but for that particular application you could try something like:
Code: [Select]
$cut(%_path%,$strrchr(%_path%,.))$if($strcmp($ext(%_filename_ext%),mp3),0,1)

which should put files with an mp3 extension on top of those with some other extension.

Reply #2
I would also be grateful to learn how to invert the sort order. If it isn't possible at the moment, could this be implemented in a future version of foobar2000 please?

Reply #3
Gee, still nobody using $codec().

Reply #4
Gee, still nobody using $codec().

If its not documented, how can we ever know about it? its not in the very syntax reference presented by the help button provided in the Sort by window.

By the way, even if my foobar is v0.8, the help file installed still say "Syntax reference for title formatting for version 0.7"

another thing: why cant masstagger "Copy Tag" function have an option to match files in the "usual" order? if it would allow files to be matched like this:

1 - bar.flac
2 - bar.mp3
3 - foo.flac
4 - foo.mp3
5 - rush.flac
6 - rush.mp3

the problem would be gone!!!! withouth any fancy reverse order string containing undocumented variables...