Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Global hotkey is applied to wrong context (Read 1892 times) previous topic - next topic

Global hotkey is applied to wrong context

I use several global hotkeys ([context] actions) to tag my files (e.g. rating) even if fb2k is in the background. It seems that there is a problem with the progress dialog that messes up the context in the following situation.

1. Configure a global hotkey using a [context] action
2. Put two files in a playlist
3. Start the first
4. Select the second (!!! IMPORTANT !!!)
5. Run the notepad.exe and keep the focus there (fb2k is in the background)
6. Press the global hotkey -> the first file (playing) is modified (CORRECT)
7. Press the global hotkey again -> the second file is modified (INCORRECT)

I assume that happens because in step 6 a progress dialog is shown for a quarter of a second that accidentally updates the context to the second file.

This is definitely an error. If foobar2000 doesn't have the focus (opened but in the background) the context should never point to a file that is not playing (which obviously is the case in step 7).

This issue has led to many erroneous tagged file here in the last months.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Reply #1
Are you sure you are using the right action for what you want?

Assuming [context] was used, if the second file was left highlighted (#4) it should be the only one which ever gets modified (which is exactly what is happening for me) and #6 would be an incorrect behavior.

If you want to make sure you only tag the currently playing file use [context / now playing] instead.

Reply #2
Assuming [context] was used, if the second file was left highlighted (#4) it should be the only one which ever gets modified (which is exactly what is happening for me) and #6 would be an incorrect behavior.

You are right for the case that fb2k has the focus but it's an feature of fb2k that [context] is always set to the currently playing file if fb2k looses the focus even if an other file was selected before.

Since the notepad.exe has the focus in my example it's a bug that fb2k reset the [context] in the moment when the progress dialoag appears.

BTW: It's the same with the cover art panel that always show the cover of the first file of [context]. Try the following: If you play one album and select a second album, the cover art of the second album will be shown in the cover art panel ([context] is set to the selection) but if you open the start menu afterwards the cover art is reset to the currently playing file even if the second album is still selected because fb2k lost focus.

Reply #3
I very much doubt that since I'd be pissed off as hell if foobar kept losing focus on what I previously highlighted, unless you have 'Cursor follows playback' enabled.

Reply #4
I very much doubt that since I'd be pissed off as hell if foobar kept losing focus on what I previously highlighted, unless you have 'Cursor follows playback' enabled.

What exactly do you doubt?

In my steps listed above the manually selected file is never changed by foobar itself. Just the virtual selection provided by [context] is accidentally changed in a way that the second hotkey in #7 is applied to the wrong file. The currently played and selected file is kept all the time.

This results from an automatism that lets fb2k assigns the currently playing file as [context] if the fb2k window looses its focus (and another file aside the playing one was selected). You can easily verify this by watching your properties or cover panel when the focus is gained/lost by fb2k (since both panels are bound to [context]).