Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.

Poll

Yes: Memory based (Rio 800,NW-S4,Nex II,etc.)
[ 120 ] (11.6%)
Yes: CD based (Iriver,eXpanium, Rio Volt, etc.)
[ 210 ] (20.4%)
Yes: Hard disk based (iPod, etc.)
[ 243 ] (23.6%)
Yes: PocketPC etc. (capable for playing)
[ 25 ] (2.4%)
Yes: Mobile phone based
[ 14 ] (1.4%)
Yes: 2 (or more) different types.
[ 65 ] (6.3%)
No: Waiting for one with Ogg Vorbis support
[ 116 ] (11.3%)
Not yet, But I'm about to get one.
[ 64 ] (6.2%)
No
[ 174 ] (16.9%)

Total Members Voted: 1197

Topic: Do you have a portable (Read 125231 times) previous topic - next topic

Do you have a portable

Reply #50
The second thing I hate about it is, that it's too slow for OGG.

I can play OGG files perfectly on my IPAQ PocketPC!

Yes, the IPAQs are faster, using other CPUs than my Jornada... the SH-3 is quite slow.

Regards, fileman.

Do you have a portable

Reply #51
The second thing I hate about it is, that it's too slow for OGG.

I can play OGG files perfectly on my IPAQ PocketPC!

Yes, the IPAQs are faster, using other CPUs than my Jornada... the SH-3 is quite slow.

Regards, fileman.

Do you have a portable

Reply #52
I was just about to buy one (smartcard or compactflash based), when I decided to upgrade my mobile... I know have a Siemens SL42e (unlocked and upgraded to SL45i after firmware upgrades) and it can play MP3 very well.

Plus it use a MMC for storage, up to 128MB   I am sure it would be possible for Siemens to add support for Ogg with a new firmware update. Time to email them.

I highly recommend it to anyone

I think this won't be possible... the Siemens mobile has a special chip that decodes MP3, and this chip is most likely not able to play OGGs...

Regards, fileman.

Do you have a portable

Reply #53
/me have an iRiver ChromeX ,but it died yesterday  :'(  :'(

I gonna call iRiver and return it :'(

CD Base or no,or I gonna get one ???
still LAME 3.96.1 --preset extreme -q 0 -V 0 -m s at least until 2005.

Do you have a portable

Reply #54
I need another option!

I have a panasonic 4 in one device. Plays mp3, aac, wma and takes .3mp pictures, 14fps mp4 video and  records sound in stereo via the .g273 codec. Pretty cool device and I got it far below the suggested retail of 499$

I got it to archive some of my experiences (basic training, people i've met, trips etc.) I mean I can do sound for concerts, pictures for people and video when either won't cut it. Heh i bought it for the purpose of reminicing not full archive quality. The quality on all of its functions is enough that it isn't annoying when viewing any of the resulting files.

Plus it does well with vbr files and the few aac files I've tested... Plus the ability to update the firmware makes it a pretty good device. I wouldn't suggest buying it unless you would use all of the options and don't already own a device that would replace one of its functions.
r3mix zealot.

Do you have a portable

Reply #55
i just got a Philips expanium EXP503 because since montys comments on high bitrate vorbis it really scared me out of the format; i dont want flexibility, i want top notch quality, like the one AAC has so thats why i got this player with the huge  space CDRs gimme. Needless to say i love it, becasue it plays High- Extreme nero AAC encodes okay, but it has problems in gapless songs (makes the thing crash and i have to turn it on and off for it to work), nothing an audio editor and fadeout/fadein cant solve.

Do you have a portable

Reply #56
i just got a Philips expanium EXP503 because since montys comments on high bitrate vorbis it really scared me out of the format; i dont want flexibility, i want top notch quality, like the one AAC has so thats why i got this player with the huge  space CDRs gimme. Needless to say i love it, becasue it plays High- Extreme nero AAC encodes okay, but it has problems in gapless songs (makes the thing crash and i have to turn it on and off for it to work), nothing an audio editor and fadeout/fadein cant solve.

Do you have a portable

Reply #57
I don´t know if I can do this, but anyway, for those of you who do not yet have an iRiver (others are worthless, IMHO) Amazon.com has them on sale thru feb 2. The SlimX is $110 USD, the 150 is $65!
Go get one and ask questions later!
I'm the one in the picture, sitting on a giant cabbage in Mexico, circa 1978.
Reseñas de Rock en Español: www.estadogeneral.com

Do you have a portable

Reply #58
I own a Rioport Rio 600 Limited Edition with 64 MB Ram
The soundquality is good, not extremely good
With silent music, you can hear an annoying background noise
64 MB is too little, upgrading is too expensive
The battery (1 penlite) lives 10-14 hours
The software and drivers that comes with it ...sux

Overall a good player, it was worth the money and was a good choice, 6 months ago

Do you have a portable

Reply #59
I own a Rioport Rio 600 Limited Edition with 64 MB Ram
The soundquality is good, not extremely good
With silent music, you can hear an annoying background noise
64 MB is too little, upgrading is too expensive
The battery (1 penlite) lives 10-14 hours
The software and drivers that comes with it ...sux

Overall a good player, it was worth the money and was a good choice, 6 months ago

Do you have a portable

Reply #60
Damn... This topic isn't updating for me. I also am considering getting a nomad jukebox because I like the dsp options it presents. Experiences?
r3mix zealot.

Do you have a portable

Reply #61
I don´t know if I can do this, but anyway, for those of you who do not yet have an iRiver (others are worthless, IMHO) Amazon.com has them on sale thru feb 2. The SlimX is $110 USD, the 150 is $65!
Go get one and ask questions later!

That's a good price. Unfortunately it's more than twice that here in Europe... 

Do you have a portable

Reply #62
Because of the advice (mostly prices) presented in this thread I purchased a chromex yesterday from amazon.com, but the site is not liking my credit card... I may have to use a friends.
r3mix zealot.

Do you have a portable

Reply #63
I have a few players that will handle my MP3s. 

Like some others on this board I have the HP Jornada 525 with the SH3 Processor.    It's pretty dire overall and for the past year it has lain idle - I can't even be arsed to use it as an Organiser let alone anything else.

I also have an el cheapo MP3 player that I got for next to nothing from a friend but its pretty dire all ways round.    It takes CF Cards and I have a 128 meg for it but haven't used in long enough.

My main way of playing MP3s whilst out and about is with either my MZN-707 or MZ-N10 Net Minidisc players from Sony.    My old man uses the 707 whilst I use the N10.    They don't natively support MP3 like somebody mention in earlier post to this thread but the software provided converts the file to Atrac then transferrs those.    A touch messy perhaps but good sound overall.    And upto 5 hours on a disc. 

Do you have a portable

Reply #64
Used to have Rio 500, now have the Muvo 64MB for jogging and the gym. All my music files are ripped using vorbis but since the player capacity isn't high it's not a problem converting the tracks i want from vorbis to mp3 (yes, I should be reencoding from the original cds, but for the sake of convenience and since I need them only around 160kbps anyway there's basically no difference).

As for ogg support, there aren't too many choices there... looking into the neuros after the initial wave of reviews on its release... what I'd want is a vorbis-enabled iPod or a 128MB flash player (-q 5 on a portable anyone?).

As an aside it's sad to see sonicblue go... what they did w/ the rio 300 and 500 really jump-started the mp3 player craze.

Do you have a portable

Reply #65
I received my I-River IFP 180T 2 days ago. With the Sennheiser earplugs and max. volume I launch Paradise Lost into my brain while I'm working!! Great.

Do you have a portable

Reply #66
I hope to get a new iPod for graduation, finally, i have a reason to graduate !

Do you have a portable

Reply #67
NO don't want one NetMD is much better 

Do you have a portable

Reply #68
I wanted a mp3-phone that records phone calls and can be used as a dictaphone. Surprisingly, the only choice available was old Siemens SL45 + 128 MB MMC. I wanted a AAC+ phone, but the new Nokia 3300 didn't have decent recording features (they were Nokialized ie. crippled for some weird marketing reason) and the upcoming G3-phones are too bulky for my taste.

Now I am quite happy with the quality of lame 128 abr + album mp3gain to 89db from cd originals. Some of the stuff I downloaded from the web with 192 kbps sound much worse.
"There's nothing as pathetic as an aging hipster."

Do you have a portable

Reply #69
I have a Pontis SP600 (and iRiver ChromeX which I'm selling to my girlfriend). Pontis SP600 is cheap (less than 100 euro plus another 100 euro for a 512 MB CF card) and small and light enough. I usually use lame --alt-preset 128-160 for encoding.

The people at Pontis expect Vorbis support to be available in Q4 2003, but I don't know if that's worth believing. At least it should be possible -- if I'm not completely mistaken, the Neuros, which is getting Vorbis support RSN, also has a similar 16-bit DSP made by TI inside. The Neuros, according to their forums, contains a TI TMS320DA150 and Pontis SP600 has a TMS320C5416 inside, but I don't know if anybody knows the exact specifications.

Do you have a portable

Reply #70
I have a CD-based player from Samsung(MCD-SM60). It plays CDA, mp3 & mp2 as well.
The only problem is: it doesnt like high bitrates(256 and up), but considering the price I paid(US29) its a bargain.
LIF

//edit//-Just started using rechargeable batteries instead of alkalines and, by miracle, now it plays high bitrates perfectly.
(Ni-Cad batteries can deliver more current(mA) than regular alkaline batteries...)
"Jazz washes away the dust of everyday life" (Art Blakey)

Do you have a portable

Reply #71
But what the hell!! NObody has an 8cm unit?
I wanted an 8 cm unit, philips maybe, but I'm considering wait some time to see what new products come to market, some small unit with anymore than mp3 support (of course, wma is not considered). Maybe it will be here, but we'll have to wait a long, to see dvd hardware based player with ogg, aac or mpc, that would be my dream, and if it could be with 8cm disks    . So, I'll wait a year or so, and will survive with my broken-near-to-die sony discman. I am sure something close to that will be made...

Do you have a portable

Reply #72
I have a NexII.

The only reason is it support Compact Flash type 1 and 2. CF have large size and reasonable price, also my digital camera use CF.

Personally, the only point I'm not satisfy with NexII is - it's a Hong Kong's product, but didn't support chinese (no double byte language support).

And it's manufacturer promise the latest version NexIA MAY have vorbis support, but nothing for now. I'm sick of the WMA sound  so I won't encode to WMA.
Hong Kong - International Joke Center (after 1997-06-30)

Do you have a portable

Reply #73
I have an Archos Jukebox Studio 20. It does the job, but doesn't seem to be able to completely keep up with bitrates over 192kb/s. You will get the odd pause now and then. Also, after much use, the paintwork on the thing has started to peel off, and there are issues with heat and recharging.

If I were going to buy a new player now, I would go for the Creative Jukebox Zen http://www.nomadworld.com/products/jukebox_zen/ and a copy of Redchair software's  Notmad. http://www.redchairsoftware.com/notmad/

Do you have a portable

Reply #74
I own an iPod 20 G. and i'm very happy with my mp3 player. This is the best player i ever had.        B)