Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Biography Discussion (Read 228537 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Biography Discussion

Reply #250
Same thing for me.

Reply #251
They're independent version numbers & so all is correct and OK.  Normally I have only changed the ini version number when its content was updated. However, I will try and keep the version numbers aligned in future versions.

Reply #252
Thank you.
Anyway it works perfect  :D

Reply #253
@WilB
Great, it works perfect!
Thanks!
What is the opposite of music?

Reply #254
Is there anyway to use this to fetch album art to my Music Library\Artist\Album directory?  One of my favorite features of the old biography component was that it could fetch album art automatically. 

Reply #255
Yes, it fetches album artwork from last.fm. Changing folder download location is done in Biography.ini (right click, sources, server settings or find biography.ini in your foobar2000 folder) by changing Image [Cover] Folder Location=$directory_path(%path%).

Reply #256
No longer receiving reviews from allmusic.

Reply #257
Hi,

I am new and have been trying to figure out how to install and run the script to Foobar2000. I am looking to write genre and style tags for my mp3 files with data specifically from AllMusic.com . From what i've read this script sounds like what I need. I have messed around in Foobar2000 and have searched for instructions on how to get this running, but I am having a hard time. Can someone please help me. I already downloaded Biography 0.8.5.2 and foo_jscript_panel-v1.3.0.fb2k-component .

Reply #258
I actually managed to get this working. Just confused on how to save the genre information into the MP3 tags.

Reply #259
This component does not write tags. What gave you that impression?

Reply #260
Thank you. That is good to know. I guess I shouldn't assume that this comment write/save tags. As stated before I am new to using this program.

Do you know a component that is able to save Genre/Style tags from AllMusic? That is my main goal.

Reply #261

I suspect these posts mentioning tag writing as a feature would give most people the impression it can write tags.

https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,112914.msg944573.html#msg944573
https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,112914.msg944768.html#msg944768
https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,112914.msg945847.html#msg945847

@nanogirl21 , I don't use this script myself but the instructions seem clear enough in the readme??

@obsidian1066 , try the latest version of the script. There was an issue with allmusic but it has been fixed.

Reply #262

I suspect these posts mentioning tag writing as a feature would give most people the impression it can write tags.

https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,112914.msg944573.html#msg944573
https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,112914.msg944768.html#msg944768
https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,112914.msg945847.html#msg945847

@nanogirl21 , I don't use this script myself but the instructions seem clear enough in the readme??

@obsidian1066 , try the latest version of the script. There was an issue with allmusic but it has been fixed.

Thank you for posting those links. I was able to write the tags that I was looking for! Simple Shift + Right Click and then select write tags.

Looks like these tags and be saved
Write Tag: Album Genre AllMusic
Write Tag: Album Mood AllMusic
Write Tag: Album Rating AllMusic
Write Tag: Album Theme AllMusic
Write Tag: Artist Genre AllMusic
Write Tag: Album Genre Last.fm
Write Tag: Artist Genre Last.fm
Write Tag: Similar Artists Last.fm

Reply #263
New Version: JScript Biography 0.8.5.2

I'm trying to save tag information from All Music. Unfortunately, only Last.FM is populating. The reviews & info coming from All Music isn't showing for most of my collection. I searched the site and the artist is defiantly on the All Music website (example: Aaliyah). Is there something that I need to change in settings to have the All Music info show?

Also, is it possible to overwrite the current album art and replace with large high res images?

Reply #264
@nanogirl21:

Because there can be more than one artist with the same name, am biographies first search and match the album name to increase the likelihood of finding the correct artist, and thus depend on matching the album name. Therefore if the album name is absent or there are spelling variances that the partial match can't handle, artist biographies won't be found either. The script does also run some additional checks to stop it searching frequently for items that can't be found, but that shouldn't be the reason. Anyway, that can be bypassed with "sources > force update". If the above don't account for the issue then I don't know: no one else has reported an issue & I just confirmed the am site is working fine, e.g. "Aaliyah - Aaliyah"; "Aaliyah - Ultimate Aaliyah" gave bios & reviews. For info last.fm biographies usually include all artists with the same name and so only an artist search is done.

Album art: the aim is to search for missing album art. I am not keen on adding an overwrite option, since if users make a mistake all potentially carefully obtained album artwork could be lost. Also while its possible to compare sizes of pre-existing covers to new, cover quality doesn't always relate to size. There are plenty of poorly prepared large covers out there. If you really want new album art, you can force the script to obtain it by stopping the current covers being found. To do that:
1) In foobar2000 preferences\display\album art\front cover: temporarily comment out (i.e. put // at start of each line) your front cover patterns.
2) Ensure the direct check by the script can't find the cover either by ensuring the save cover name is unique, e.g. set "Image [Cover] File Name=new_cover" in biography.ini (Server Settings). The script should then search and save new covers with the save name new_cover.

Of course its also possible to force the script to obtain new covers by renaming existing to something not recognised (e.g. use a mass renamer tool such as renamer), or even deleting them, but I wouldn't do that until you're sure you have a better one.

HTH

Reply #265
@WilB I wanted to get 5 similar artists tagged instead of 4 so I tried changing the limit attribute here to 5 but I'm still getting only 4 similar artists.

Code: [Select]
var URL = "http://ws.audioscrobbler.com/2.0/?format=json" + p.lfm + "&method=artist.getSimilar&artist=" + encodeURIComponent(artist) + "&limit=5&autocorrect=1";

Also, from what I gather from the Lastfm API documentation it seems possible to retrieve artist mbid from last.fm. Can you include writing those to tags in your next release?

Reply #266
hey guys, so I have a problem with the loading of artist pictures since about a month now.
Everytime I change to a new track from another artist I get this error. Is there any solution? (it says runtime error in JavaScript)
If I click on the right top corner (green circle) and click on reload it works just fine.

Reply #267
Your version number is some way behind the latest. I'd try that first.

Reply #268
Thanks, you're right, I thought I already used the newest version but added it the wrong way. It works again. THANKS ;)

Reply #269
@WilB
Been using your script now for several months and love it - thanks.

One thing I've noticed is that over the years I have used several different ways to download artist art. I know your script has the Image '[Artist] Fetch Number (maximum 20)' setting which seems to limit new images downloaded. Could we have a way to limit the total number of images after download and if exceeded automatically remove the oldest ones. This would ensure that we have only the latest images. Obviously not for everyone so I guess it would need to be a server setting in the .ini file.

Reply #270
Thanks for the this awesome feature. It works great for the majority of my albums, except one which I will describe below:

When I have a compilation album where I put "album artist" as "Various Artists" and each track has its own, properly tagged "Artist" field, the biography panel shows the info for "Various Artist", essentially explaining what "Various Artists" means. Obviously, it would be much more helpful and useful if the biography panel would actually use the "Artists" tag and display information for the actual artist of the track.

It seems that this biography plugin is configured to prioritize using "Album Artist" over "Artist" tag in determining whose info to display. How do I make it do the reverse and prioritize looking up info on the "Artist" tag?

Reply #271
@jazzthieve: tag writing. The next version will enable setting the number of similar artists that can be written. I did look into obtaining mbids from last.fm. However, they weren't always accurate. In particular, in cases where there is more than one artist of the same name, incorrect obscure mbids were often returned for reasonably popular artists, even if the search included both album & artist names.

@Black_Over_Bills_Mothers. The requested feature should be in the next release.

@woolybully
It should just work as you want with default settings. I just checked my various artists albums and they're displaying fine, e.g.

Album Artist=Various Artists
Artist=Boston
Displays biographies for Boston

For info lfm look-ups for biographies always use whatever is defined for %BIO_ARTIST% in server settings (right click >sources > server settings [opens biography.ini]). The default is to check the artist field first. AM look-ups for both bios & reviews require matching an album name to facilitate discerning artists of the same name, and these look-ups use %BIO_ALBUMARTIST% - %BIO_ALBUM%. However, once bios are obtained %BIO_ARTIST% is used for loading the bios and %BIO_ALBUMARTIST% - %BIO_ALBUM% for loading the reviews.

Check the server settings especially the %BIO_ARTIST% and %BIO_ALBUMARTIST% definitions, if you've changed them. You can always reset server settings (biography.ini) to default values (rename biography.ini to something so you have a back-up & restart foobar2000 to create a new one with default settings). Biography.ini should be in foobar2000\yttm\biography.ini.

If, after ensuring server settings are at default values, the issue persists, then I need more info. Please post a screen shot of properties so I can see all the metadata and also post the server settings.

Reply #272
@jazzthieve: tag writing. The next version will enable setting the number of similar artists that can be written. I did look into obtaining mbids from last.fm. However, they weren't always accurate. In particular, in cases where there is more than one artist of the same name, incorrect obscure mbids were often returned for reasonably popular artists, even if the search included both album & artist names

Thanks for getting back at me for that. About the mbids, oh well, perhaps in the future when it gets more accurate.

Reply #273
@woolybully
It should just work as you want with default settings. I just checked my various artists albums and they're displaying fine, e.g.

Album Artist=Various Artists
Artist=Boston
Displays biographies for Boston

For info lfm look-ups for biographies always use whatever is defined for %BIO_ARTIST% in server settings (right click >sources > server settings [opens biography.ini]). The default is to check the artist field first. AM look-ups for both bios & reviews require matching an album name to facilitate discerning artists of the same name, and these look-ups use %BIO_ALBUMARTIST% - %BIO_ALBUM%. However, once bios are obtained %BIO_ARTIST% is used for loading the bios and %BIO_ALBUMARTIST% - %BIO_ALBUM% for loading the reviews.

Check the server settings especially the %BIO_ARTIST% and %BIO_ALBUMARTIST% definitions, if you've changed them. You can always reset server settings (biography.ini) to default values (rename biography.ini to something so you have a back-up & restart foobar2000 to create a new one with default settings). Biography.ini should be in foobar2000\yttm\biography.ini.

If, after ensuring server settings are at default values, the issue persists, then I need more info. Please post a screen shot of properties so I can see all the metadata and also post the server settings.

Yup, just renaming/deleting biography.ini solved it! The one included in my theme must have prioritized album artist, sorry for the bother!

Reply #274
Happy New Year to you all

I have tried to load this script in Foobar v1.3.17 (Darkone 3.1 Mod) I also watched the Youtube video but when I go to Components and click on the JScript Panel v1.3.2.2 I don't get the option to enter the script only the about info when I right click and no screen popup like in the Video. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong ? Many thanks in advance.