Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: FTP plugin to get cloud-streaming? (Read 5771 times) previous topic - next topic

FTP plugin to get cloud-streaming?

Hi, I thought about making my own little "cloud syncing" program on windows which will make it possible to sync what ever you want on your own ftp. So I would upload my music on my own ftp server. Is there a plugin to play music from an ftp server in foobar?

Thanks

Reply #1
If HTTP serving is OK for you, then take a look at edna, which I use to serve my collection.
It's only audiophile if it's inconvenient.

Reply #2
thanks i will try it out.. how exactly does that work? i install it on the ftp-server but how do i use it with foobar? is it a streaming file which i open with foobar? but how do i change tracks/browse the music library on the server?

thanks

Reply #3
It’s an HTTP serving program, so you would need to run it on an HTTP server.

http://edna.sourceforge.net/
The server should work for any platform. I've tested it on Linux and Windows. I've been using Internet Explorer and WinAmp (on Windows) to navigate the pages and play the files.

Using edna is boringly simple. Make sure you have (at least) Python 1.5.2 installed on your system. Edit the edna.conf file with your setup. This is simple to do, as all you need to tell it is:

what port to run on
the directories for your MP3 files
optionally, how to log requests
Then, simply run edna.py. This can be done using:

% python edna.py
It will then go into an infinite loop, serving up pages and files. Hit ctrl-C to stop it.
So it won’t be drag-and-drop as FTP would, but it’s a possible alternative.