Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Wiki topics to be covered for Foobar (Read 6316 times) previous topic - next topic

Wiki topics to be covered for Foobar

Maybe its time to start a thread as discussed in "Contributing to the wiki/knowledgebase"

Starting with a structure I try to list all necessary items to be described:
  • Introduction
  • Standard Interface
    • Menu
    • Buttons
    • Visualisation
    • Playlist/Tabbing
    • Statusbar
  • Preferences
    • Component Libraries
    • Components
      • Description of every Standard Component
    • Core
      • Context Menu Items
      • Keyboard Shortcuts
      • Main Menu Items
    • Database
    • Display
      • Default User Interface
      • Title Formatting
    • Playback
      • DSP Manager > Standard DSP's
      • Input > Standard Inputs
      • Output >DirectSound/wavOut
      • Status Display
    • Visualizations
  • Playback Options
  • Playlist Options
  • Components
    • Album List
    • Console
    • Other Standard Components
  • Special Helpfile for Formatting
  • Troubleshooting
  • 3rd Party Plugins
  • Useful Links
This or an edited version as a collapsing navigation would be a good start I guess:
- There's a fixed structure and everybody can contribute his/her knowledge and edit a text without messing things up.
- Every topic is covered.
- It's easy to add items to the navigation (ok dunno what to do when the standard UI changes; that messes up my order...mh)
- Would be nice to have pics of the described area included (easier to understand)

If I forgot important points please feel free to edit, but I recommend to keep the order and don't make it to confusing

About the 3rd Party Plugins - I don't quite understand why you post in the wiki:
ThirdPartyComponentProblems
Please post your question on third-party component forum. As we don't take responsibility for components other people make, this FAQ can't help you any further.

...do you TAKE responsibility for Foobar caused problems? Of course you do personally but not legally. Therefore I think a 3rd party component string is useful.

Do you think its clever to start with one or another point of this list If anyone wants to...we can start in the forum for now and copy it later to the Wiki? But then better use a special Title format like: wiki topics-[menu item]-[sub menu item]

JD

Reply #1
I think it would be best if you set up the structure in the wiki. Then ppl can fill the pages.

Reply #2
Better to wait for feedback and support - don't want to create it just to find out that a week later somebody made a total different structure!

AND I have no clue how to do it...I have to learn some thing first

JD

edit: feeTback 

Reply #3
I think that's a pretty good structure and I agree that having screenshots could be helpful.  You could get a logical description of how to configure pretty much every aspect of foobar out of that.

However, I also think it'd be good if it were possible to revise this structure in the future as foobar changes...  I don't know enough about how the wiki works to know how easy that is, though.

Reply #4
However, I also think it'd be good if it were possible to revise this structure in the future as foobar changes...  I don't know enough about how the wiki works to know how easy that is, though.

You can change the name of a page and all backlinks change too.
So should be easy.

Reply #5
I started to create a FoobarManual in the Wiki. Check out! But careful, it's just the structure and it's fragile! 

JD

Reply #6
Hi, up for this topic as it seems that a good structure for foobar 2000  wiki seems to be needed. Is there some people ready to do a brainstorming about the structure of the Wiki. The plan proposed by Jhon Doe seems perfect to me except the plug-in part.. I think that creating a page by component would be better than splitting it between how to configure it and how to use it.

And about the already existing guides, I think it's quite hard to know where to stop for the intermediate user guide

(Noob question, is there a way to have a list of the pages concerning foobar already existing, filled or not?)

I'm ready to get a part of my site in the wiki if I know with what structure

Reply #8
thanks a lot Jan S.

I need some support from people about the structure of the wiki, 3-4 people opinion would be really great