Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: URGENT! Headerless wav files (Read 4633 times) previous topic - next topic

URGENT! Headerless wav files

Hi there ... I have a huge problem.. Recently we wrapped the shootings from a movie .. And when we went to the editing room we realized that we had no sound for the half of the movie .. The sound guy gave us wav files wich were recorded with Roland R-44. File type: Broadcast wave file. Frequency: 48.0kHz. Bit Rate: 24. .. The result was some useless wav files. I mean they have big size wich means i guess that the info is there but i cant do nothing with them ..After a lot of research i came to Hex editor .. I opened 1 file in Hex editor and there was only zeros .. Nothing more .. After a lot of reading i think i fixed the header but nothing happens again .. The files are playable now  now but still no sound ..I tried Audacity and sound hack but nothing happens .. I tried raw import and still no sound ... Im kinda desperate here ..

i would appreciate some help

Thank you all for your time

Reply #1
Having a file full of zeros would explain why you get no sound while playing it.

Reply #3
no chance of repairing? or somehow rebuild this file?

Reply #6
Where is the sound guy in all this? Any explanation/excuse offered yet for what has gone wrong and, if worst comes to worst, where the 50+% of your soundtrack has gone? Unless a very convincing story is offered, the repercussions should be heavy, I’m sure it goes without saying.

Reply #7

If it compresses with .zip to near zero you can rest unassured the file is empty. 
[/quote]

i just zipped it and from 40mb it came in 47kb

Reply #8
Wll guys thank you all for your prescious time ... 50% of the sound is gone ... i just wanted to know if theres any hope left....

Thank you all again...

Reply #9
Is it definitely the same for all the other files? Very unfortunate if so.

Reply #10
On-location sound is usually poor, so "the "big boys" making modern "Hollywood" movies re-record (lip sync) all of the dialog in the studio. The background sounds & Foley are also created in the studio.  Is it possible for you to do that?  If not, maybe narration or subtitles?  Or, a shorter film?

In the old days when movies were filmed on a soundstage, the dialog (and sometimes the singing) would have been recorded "live" with the filming.  (But as far as I know, soundstages are now only used for TV shows.)

Hi there ... I have a huge problem.. Recently we wrapped the shootings from a movie .. And when we went to the editing room we realized that we had no sound for the half of the movie ..
So, nobody was bothering to look/listen to the audio/video to see how the shots turned-out????  The sound guy didn't check to see if he was capturing anything?  Has anybody on this project ever heard of dailies

Reply #12
On-location sound is usually poor, so "the "big boys" making modern "Hollywood" movies re-record (lip sync) all of the dialog in the studio. The background sounds & Foley are also created in the studio.  Is it possible for you to do that?  If not, maybe narration or subtitles?  Or, a shorter film?

In the old days when movies were filmed on a soundstage, the dialog (and sometimes the singing) would have been recorded "live" with the filming.  (But as far as I know, soundstages are now only used for TV shows.)

Hi there ... I have a huge problem.. Recently we wrapped the shootings from a movie .. And when we went to the editing room we realized that we had no sound for the half of the movie ..
So, nobody was bothering to look/listen to the audio/video to see how the shots turned-out????  The sound guy didn't check to see if he was capturing anything?  Has anybody on this project ever heard of dailies

DVDoug i dont know ..i wasn't there  . Im an editor who tries to help