Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How to get the bit depth _and_ sample frequency of a flac file? (Read 15069 times) previous topic - next topic

How to get the bit depth _and_ sample frequency of a flac file?

Hi to All,

I simple would like to know some if my flac files bit depth and sample frequency.
Please note, I am not talking about detecting fake's and analyzing spectrum. I simply talking about the format.
(Similarly like a picture file have bit depth)

What' I was trying:

- Google: interestingly nothing, or I missed something.
- Tried to use flac.exe and found some command line switch to get this metainfo. Unfortunatelly neither -a or -t does not gives the sample rate or bit depth.
- Tried to use Audacity and load the file. Unfortunately it always seems to be "32-bit floating point" even for my red-book simple CD ripped flacs

Thanks in advance

Reply #1
Create them yourself? 
Listen to the music, not the media it's on.
União e reconstrução

Reply #2
Load them into FB2k, select files, right click > Properties, click Properties tag, et voilà!

Reply #4
metaflac --list <file.flac>

lists that info since it'll be in the initial STREAMINFO block.

Reply #5
ffprobe (from ffmpeg) also shows rate & bitdepth amongst other details.

Reply #6
Another one for the list: sox.
The most important audio cables are the ones in the brain

Reply #7
Load them into FB2k, select files, right click > Properties, click Properties tag, et voilà!

I would also load them into FB2k, but then create an extra column with the info I would like to see, like samplingrate and bitrate/depth.

Reply #8
you can create a new column with this information (I have the same thing)

to set up a new column in the playlist view, right click on the column headers -> columns -> more
then, in the custom columns frame, type this into the pattern field:
%__bitspersample% bit
this will give you the bit depth
for sample rate, just type this into the next row under pattern as well:
%samplerate%

Reply #10
or with mediainfo
Code: [Select]
mediainfo file.flac | egrep 'depth|Sampl'

Sampling rate           : 44.1 KHz
Bit depth               : 16 bits
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

Re: How to get the bit depth _and_ sample frequency of a flac file?

Reply #11
Hi to All,

I simple would like to know some if my flac files bit depth and sample frequency.
Please note, I am not talking about detecting fake's and analyzing spectrum. I simply talking about the format.
(Similarly like a picture file have bit depth)

What' I was trying:

- Google: interestingly nothing, or I missed something.
- Tried to use flac.exe and found some command line switch to get this metainfo. Unfortunatelly neither -a or -t does not gives the sample rate or bit depth.
- Tried to use Audacity and load the file. Unfortunately it always seems to be "32-bit floating point" even for my red-book simple CD ripped flacs

Thanks in advance

https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

EXAMPLE (after right-clicking on the file; selecting <MediaInfo>; note: MediaInfo configured in HTML mode) :
General
Complete name : C:\pub\Shared_Music\Carpenters, The\The Carpenters - Singles 1969-1981 (2013) [24-96 HD FLAC]\01 - Yesterday Once More (1991 Remix).flac
Format : FLAC
Format/Info : Free Lossless Audio Codec
File size : 78.8 MiB
Duration : 3 min 58 s
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 2 773 kb/s
Album : Singles 1969-1981
Album/Performer : The Carpenters
Track name : Yesterday Once More (1991 Remix)
Track name/Position : 01
Track name/Total : 21
Performer : The Carpenters
Composer : John Bettis, Richard Carpenter
Genre : Soft Rock
Recorded date : 2013
Copyright : 2004 A&M Records
Cover : Yes
Cover type : Cover (front)
Cover MIME : image/jpeg

Audio
Format : FLAC
Format/Info : Free Lossless Audio Codec
Duration : 3 min 58 s
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 2 759 kb/s
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : Front: L R
Sampling rate : 96.0 kHz
Bit depth : 24 bits
Stream size : 78.5 MiB (100%)
Writing library : libFLAC 1.3.0 (UTC 2013-05-26)

P.S.: MediaInfo will also give you video, subtitle, chapters + more when researching a video file.

Reply #12
Load into Mp3tag and turn on the appropriate columns.

Reply #13
The file specs information window on Windows is unreliable. Sometimes, it tells you anything, but not what the file really contains.

If you've chosen 16-bit FLAC for ripping your CDs, then these should be 16-bit. ;D

Every serious audio player should be able to tell you that by right-clicking the song in the playlist -> "file info" or something like this. Some players display that during playback too.

Tried to use Audacity and load the file. Unfortunately it always seems to be "32-bit floating point" even for my red-book simple CD ripped flacs

What you see on the left side of a track is the bit depth which is used internally by Audacity. It will be converted back once you save it as 16-bit file.
Audacity converts (hopefully, if not, do it manually before editing!) everything up to 32-bit Float during loading, because that is very important for editing. This is not useful in your case.

As I remember, there is no 32-bit FLAC. Only 16 or 24 bit.
You can still determine bit depth in a bit clumsy way using Audacity, if you are a bit experienced using Audacity:

Zoom the track vertically and horizontally until you see the "stairs" of the individual samples. Do that in the beginnig or in the end of the track, where the song fades to silence. If you see a noticable rasterization or if you see dithering, the audio data is 16-bit. If it looks smooth, it is 24-bit.

This way is useful to spot "fake" 24-bit FLAC files containing only 16-bit audio, which is pure wasting of space. Converting these to 16-bit is lossless (but turn dithering off!) ;)
- I abandoned this account since I didn't find a way to delete it -