Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Cool edit pro 2.1 wavepack 4.42 hi bitrates broken (Read 6521 times) previous topic - next topic

Cool edit pro 2.1 wavepack 4.42 hi bitrates broken

I have a bunch of .wv files that I just downloaded from HA.

I'm trying to open them in CEP 2.1 using the latest-greatest wavepack filter I just downloaded from the wavepack web site (readme says it is version 2.9).

The 44/16 files open well:  (e.g. eig.wv)

The higher sample rate files open as white noise:  (e.g. Mangione02.wv, lovely1.wv, etc.)

Doesn't matter whether I drag and drop them or open them with the file open menu.

Reply #1
Hi Arnie.

The problem is that those are very old WavPack encodings (2003!) and back then WavPack files retained the RIFF header from the original WAV file at the beginning of the file. This caused some programs (like CEP in some cases) to interpret the file as a WAV file before even allowing the WavPack plugin to have a shot at it. I tried these with CE2000 and it worked, but unfortunately I don’t have my PC with Audition anymore. I do remember that there were workarounds for this, but the only one I can think of now (at 5am) is to temporarily move the wavepcm.flt file in CEP's program file folder somewhere so that it won’t be used.

Alternatively, you can drop the files into the wvunpack.exe program to convert them into WAVs, which will work fine with CEP. Or convert them with Foobar2000.

Sorry you’re having trouble...WavPack is just supposed to work! 

Reply #2
Hi Arnie.

The problem is that those are very old WavPack encodings (2003!) and back then WavPack files retained the RIFF header from the original WAV file at the beginning of the file. This caused some programs (like CEP in some cases) to interpret the file as a WAV file before even allowing the WavPack plugin to have a shot at it. I tried these with CE2000 and it worked, but unfortunately I don’t have my PC with Audition anymore. I do remember that there were workarounds for this, but the only one I can think of now (at 5am) is to temporarily move the wavepcm.flt file in CEP's program file folder somewhere so that it won’t be used.

Alternatively, you can drop the files into the wvunpack.exe program to convert them into WAVs, which will work fine with CEP. Or convert them with Foobar2000.

Sorry you’re having trouble...WavPack is just supposed to work! 

Well the wvunpack option worked for me, so that is that.  The ability to just drop files on it is very neat.

Thanks for the quick response.