Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Multiformat Listening Test @ 128 kbps - OPEN (Read 164732 times) previous topic - next topic

Multiformat Listening Test @ 128 kbps - OPEN

Reply #125
,Dec 8 2005, 12:57 AM]I think you should also say that they're VBR ranges, and they remain RANGES, not exact bitrates - they spread out on collections, etc.. what has been said on this topic, to prevent seb's email getting spammed with "USELESS, not 128!!"
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=348450"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I could try adding a little something about that. Not to much though - people wont ever get through it all...

@Rjamorim: noted.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=348459"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ok. Submitted now with a few slight modifications, as well as a line about the VBR aspect.
davidnaylor.org

Reply #126
Guru  It won´t be a problem if I´d call you Guru. It´s hard to not say incorrectly your nickname. 
I didn´t interprete myself correct. I mean there is 10%  difference between  your  objective  marks. For example 4 and 4.4. And not between bitrates.
I wanted to say that 10% is not a tiny difference for bitrate and  objective marks. Btw the difference reach up to 17% and not 10%.  . It maybe sound  too precise and too annoying. But its not 1-2 % like in Guru test  ( Guru´s test is enough precise for real life ). It´s up to 17%.

But this test wont be enough precise for people like from Doom9 (video entuasist) who search a good  audio codec for ABR encodes.   

However  it test  will be usefull.
I  think if new Nero and itunes will be tight I will choose Nero cause of robust file size.  I´m understanding that people here not care much about final size.

The idea about VBR doesn´t  convince me at all. I didn´t see any scientific or probalistic (or both) proof  about that if one codec always produces a big file size (as it happens in this test) on VBR then it will most smart on ABR.     
Ok, for melomans ( audiofils, sound professionals etc ) the size isn´t problem,  but there a lot of people who care about it.

Reply #128
if one codec always produces a big file size (as it happens in this test) on VBR then it will most smart on ABR.    [a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=348474"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

They say that codecs do not produce always a big file size, except in this test.

Reply #129
Really, until the test is finished, the only things that should be discussed in this thread, in my opinion (Sebastian can add something here if he doesn't agree), are metaissues such as discussion about obtaining or distributing the files, announcing the test at other places, or discussion about problems with the abc/hr program.[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=348204"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I agree on this. If someone has technical problems the possibly available answers would be easier to find without the OT clutter.

We already had a thread of 865 posts about the codec choices and other details. This thread should really concentrate on the topic. People who are invited to take the test and come here may get confused.

I would like to see all OT replies moved to another thread (including this one).

[span style='font-size:7pt;line-height:100%']Edit: added the quote (Argh, now I am doing it myself, adding clutter...)[/span]

Reply #130
We already had a thread of 865 posts about the codec choices and other details. This thread should really concentrate on the topic. People who are invited to take the test and come here may get confused.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=348496"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

In any case, the only information you need about the test is in the first post.  The rest is for follow-up only.

Reply #131
My slashdot posting was rejected...
davidnaylor.org

Reply #132
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=348578"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Duplicates, maybe?  Someone mentioned that posting on Slashdot was planned?

Reply #133

Duplicates, maybe?  Someone mentioned that posting on Slashdot was planned?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=348579"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Don't know. Maybe they just didn't find it interesting enough. (I posted to index, as 'announcement'.)
davidnaylor.org

Reply #134
My slashdot posting was rejected...[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=348578"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Makes me wonder if that wasn't for the best...

Reply #135
My slashdot posting was rejected...[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=348578"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Makes me wonder if that wasn't for the best...
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=348599"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Heh. You're probably right 
davidnaylor.org

Reply #136
I think that there are too many samples, at least for me. I don't got the time/patience to test all samples.

Anyway, I sent the results for the first two samples. I could point out 3 of 6 codecs. It'll be very interesting to know which they are. I'm especially interesting in my results on WMA Pro since I haven't tested it before.

Have there been a major listening test with a recent WMA Pro?

Reply #138
Not that I know of. Roberto used WMA Pro once, but it was 9.0 if I am not mistaken.[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=348704"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes. And it was the oh-so-dreaded two-pass VBR profile. Makes me wonder why noone bitched at me. Must be because I'm much less polite than you and I have no patience for that sort of bullshit :B

Reply #139
hallo everybody
please take my request as easy as possible
since i hate java, expecially having to install a huge JRE just to use this program (annd maybe a very few others), is it possible to have a win32 compiled binary as a standalone .exe?

would be great 

Reply #140
I installed the JRE in order to be in the conditions required for the test, but the jar file seemed to work without the JRE. I have Windows XP Pro SP2.

Reply #141
I installed the JRE in order to be in the conditions required for the test, but the jar file seemed to work without the JRE. I have Windows XP Pro SP2.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=348784"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You need a JRE (or the JDK) to run Java.  It doesn't have to be the Sun one though (in theory, lots of stuff requires the Sun one).

Reply #142
Unable to run test on OSX

Get error when opening the .ecf

Config file could not be loaded.
File Sample01/BigYellow.wav could not be opened.

Should mention that after running the bin_osx/Sample01.command it extracted the .zip to a Sample01 folder, but files therein have different names than the one in the error message:

/Sample01
BigYellow_1.wav
BigYellow_2.wav
BigYellow_3.wav
BigYellow_4.wav
BigYellow_5.wav

Any tips?

Note: tried to listen to the this sample using my e3c's and must say that my ears apparently suck a good deal more than i expected

Reply #143
BigYellow.wav is the reference file. I have no idea how to fix the problem since I have 0 experience with OS X. Maybe jido, who created/modified the bash scripts can help you and send me an updated version of the .command files if he sees need.

Reply #144
You're missing two files in your directory : BigYellow.wav and BigYellow_6.wav

Reply #146

Once the results come in, post that, you'd most definately not want the /. masses praticipating since 9/10 they'd just purposely screw up the stats.

Reply #147
Once the results come in, post that, you'd most definately not want the /. masses praticipating since 9/10 they'd just purposely screw up the stats.

Interesting. How would they purposely screw up the stats?

Reply #148
Unable to run test on OSX

Get error when opening the .ecf

Config file could not be loaded.
File Sample01/BigYellow.wav could not be opened.

Should mention that after running the bin_osx/Sample01.command it extracted the .zip to a Sample01 folder, but files therein have different names than the one in the error message:

/Sample01
BigYellow_1.wav
BigYellow_2.wav
BigYellow_3.wav
BigYellow_4.wav
BigYellow_5.wav

Any tips?

Note: tried to listen to the this sample using my e3c's and must say that my ears apparently suck a good deal more than i expected
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=348949"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Do you have MacOS X 10.4 Tiger?
You should have a "lib" folder in bin_osx, otherwise wavpack will not decode files.

Reply #149

Interesting. How would they purposely screw up the stats?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=349130"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Maybe he thinks they would just rate the samples at random?
davidnaylor.org