Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Ogg Coding Request, Lyra2 (Read 7515 times) previous topic - next topic

Ogg Coding Request, Lyra2

I recently purchased an RCA Lyra2 . Very cool little device. Uses software codecs to play RealMedia. Windows Media, and MP3.

Unfortunately,  it only plays Windows Media, encrypted RealMedia and encypted MP3. Grrrrrr.....

The good news is that it has an FM tuner, and uses CompactFlash as it's memory (so the sky's the limit).

I just bought a 128 MB card. Works like a champ. Used the FM tuner at the Indy 500. The Windows Media does not require encryption, so it's drag & drop.

It would be really great if an Ogg programmer could write a codec for this beast. I would think that it is very possible. Or an MP3 codec that does not require encryption,

If any coders are willing to do this, I would buy a Lyra2 and ship it to you, providing that you make the codec freely available.

For now, I am enncoding WMA at 96kbs for this device.
flac > schiit modi > schiit magni > hd650

Reply #1
Oh yeah. Actually being a Thomson device, I doubt they will ever ship a Vorbis decoder (since they have mp3pro). So let's hope for the open source community! =)

Reply #2
Yeah. I was thinking the same thing.  I didn't even think about Thomson and their vested interest in MP3Pro at the time I was buying it.

Even so, I think the platform is very good. All of the codecs are sitting on the flash card with the tunes. Should be very possible to port codecs for it.  Wish I had the talent to do it myself.

Reply #3
Unfortunately, it only plays Windows Media, encrypted RealMedia and encypted MP3. Grrrrrr.....

"Encrypted MP3"? Forgive me - either I'm stupid or I just really missed something - but what's the dealio with this? Is it some kind of DRM thing? How would one get / encode these encrypted MP3s?

Just curious. I want in the loop.

Reply #4
On the flashcard there is a directory called "Pmp". In it are the codecs.

wma.exe
mp3.exe
rml.exe

There is also a config file which I assume tells the device what codec to use for each filetype. It looks like this.

MPX=MP3
RML=RML
WMA=WMA

If you just copy an MP3 to the device, the codec won't play it. You have to use MusicMatch to copy an MP3 to the flashcard. MusicMatch then does some kind of "re-encoding" during the copy process and you end up with an MPX file on the flashcard.

With RealJukebox it's the same king of deal. You end up with an RML file on the flashcard.

Needless to say, all of this is rather irritating.

With WMA files I can just copy from my hard drive direct to the flashcard and the codec plays them just fine. Nothing special to do here.

It's not so bad. I actuall prefer WMA files to MP3 at these low bitrates (96). Ogg would be even better if there was a codec for this puppy.

Reply #5
This is ridiculous. How could a company go that far. The customer is unimportant. We should boycott this player...

Reply #6
I agree, it is ridiculous. 

Still, this player has a huge potential if any Ogg or LAME programmers write codecs for it. Everything on this puppy is software based.

Not to mention that the 128MB flash cards work in it, and I would guess that the 256MB cards will work as well.

Reply #7
That's weird wacky stuff. Since I've never messed with Musicmatch, I've apparently missed that goofy shit.

Still, keeping the decoders on the flashcard is kinda neat. I see what you mean about the potential for someone who knows what they're doing, and is intimately familiar with the hardware, to port and compile another decoder for the device. It surely is within the realm of feasability. However, that person is certainly not me.

Reply #8
Just an idea, u say u can copy the WMA files directly onto the flash card and play them but not the other formats.

Have you tried simply renaming the extension of an mp3 to MPX or whatever it was and seeing if it will play it? it may just do!! 

Also, if you copy the three executables off the flash device onto a windows system are you able to run them in a command prompt?

I guess they are using an ARM proccessor running some varient of windows off it, it does seem to have some potential here. Im not much of a programmer at all but i'll like to know more about this as im thinking of doing something like tj=his for my University Final Year Project.

Cheers,

Kristian

Reply #9
Renaming doesn't fool it. Thought of that right away.

This is a link to a discussion on the original Lyra firmware. Don't know if the Lyra2 uses the same chip.

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&....com%26rnum%3D5

Reply #10
I also have a Lyra2 that I bought a while ago, with the same problem.  Right now I rip all my cds into wma just because it's easier then, but still

comeon all u ogg ppl!! we need an ogg decoder for this thing

if there was an ogg decoder for this, or a (non beta) ogg decoder for windows media player, I'd convert all my files to ogg

Reply #11
Originally posted by thepyr0x
I also have a Lyra2 that I bought a while ago, with the same problem.  Right now I rip all my cds into wma just because it's easier then, but still

comeon all u ogg ppl!! we need an ogg decoder for this thing

if there was an ogg decoder for this, or a (non beta) ogg decoder for windows media player, I'd convert all my files to ogg

Huuuh, this is not something that can be easily done. You'd need specs for this puppy (which, given the manufacturer, you're never going to get) or reverse-engineer the whole thing.

Good luck finding someone with the needed skills to do _that_...

--
GCP

Reply #12
I don't know about the lyra, but for windows media player I'm using the decoder from tobias.everwicked.com, and beta or not it makes sound come out of my headphones without problems, letting me use ogg no problems!

Reply #13
garf; I realize that this wouldn't be easy, and probably won't happen
I was being sarcastic.....but still hopeful

hrm....I should check that out; by my logic if WMP can play it, then WMP can convert it and copy it to my lyra....