Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: --replay-gain Flac Switch Question (Read 4974 times) previous topic - next topic

--replay-gain Flac Switch Question

Does the flac --replay-gain switch add just per song replaygain or is their a command line switch to get EAC to add per album replay gain ALSO?

Reply #1
IIRC, EAC is only capable of passing the commandline on a per file basis, therefore can only do track gain.  Replaygain for FLAC can be used from the commandline adding multiple files for album gain.
"You can fight without ever winning, but never win without a fight."  Neil Peart  'Resist'

Reply #2
Note that FLAC always add both track and album ReplayGain values, however, since only 1 track is passed, they will both be the same.
To add the correct Album Replay gain, use metaflac or foobar, etc.
If you wish, I have a windows batch file that will treat all the (FLAC) files in a directory as an album and use metaflac to add the Album gains (the track gains are also re-written).
[Edit]Correted some typos.
"There is no point in saving WAV... unless you have a huge HD in a very slow computer" - Jan S. (WAV or FLAC, Space No Problem)

Reply #4
I'd be interested in your batch file if you'd like to post it here.

I like foobar, but for ripping I'd like to have as few steps that require me to use a mouse as possible.
Guinness for strength!

Reply #5
You can always cd to your music dir and issue something like 'sweep if exist *.flac metaflac --add-replay-gain *.flac'.
Although this will overwrite any existing values, so you'll have to move non-rg'ed albums to some temp dir first and run from there, I think.

Oh, or you mean you want to do it from eac cmdline?

Reply #7
leland, I have uploaded the batch file here.

Any feedback welcome.
"There is no point in saving WAV... unless you have a huge HD in a very slow computer" - Jan S. (WAV or FLAC, Space No Problem)

Reply #8
Thanks for the script, Go2Null.

I have just ripped my CDs using EAC and FLAC.  They are in the folder format artist / album / track-title.flac. 

It sounds like your script can do what I need.  But I'm also wondering if the option in Foobar 2000, ReplayGain / Scan Selection as Multiple Albums will do the same thing.

The info on the ReplayGain site is pretty old.  I'm currently scanning the forums for replaygain info, but if anyone can point me to any other resources I'd appreciate it.

Basicly, I'm looking to learn how to properly use replaygain, starting with methods of doing the same thing as Go2Null's script.  I've been learning the features of Foobar 2000 so that's where I'm starting.

Thanks again for the scripts.

Reply #9
Yes, fb2k "Scan selection as album" does the same thing. I am not sure how the "Scan selection as multiple albums" works - ie, not sure how it determines the different albums (Album tag?).
There is only one difference between the metaflac's (and flac's) calculation of rg values and fb2ks' that I know about - it is discussed here.
Bear in mind that the rg values are stored in tags, and these tags can be manually updated. For example, in fb2k you can sort by the track  rg vals, get the greatest value and update the album tags them. This may be a way out if you have tons of files and don't want to spend the time rescanning them to calculate the rg values.
[EDIT] Added the qualification "I".

Reply #10
Yes, fb2k "Scan selection as album" does the same thing. I am not sure how the "Scan selection as multiple albums" works - ie, not sure how it determines the different albums (Album tag?).

Check Preferences -> Components -> ReplayGain scanner -> Album grouping pattern.
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.

Reply #11
Thanks for the batch files. I'll get back to you with any comments in that thread should I have them.
Guinness for strength!