Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Do I need to use -S when encoding? (Read 4225 times) previous topic - next topic

Do I need to use -S when encoding?

Changed my FLAC config to -8 -S as I've added seektables to my FLAC files. The -8 doesn't take me that much longer and so the files are no larger. However, I'm only adding seektables in the hope that in the future I may find them in some way useful. My question is should I bother, and are the standard 10 second steps enough? I also wonder why adding seektables isn't being recommended?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?  ;~)

Reply #1
I'm no expert but doesn't the seektable allow one to jump to an arbitrary time within the file when playing it back? If you always play your files from beginning to end without jumping around then you don't need the seektable. Even if you don't have a seektable it just means that jumping to a time within the file is a little less precise.

Reply #2
Where or who says that adding seektables isn't recommended?

if you just use -8 instead of -8 -S you will still get seektables, you need to add the switch --no-seektable which is a negative option according to flac.exe --help.
Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

Reply #3
This thread was split from Eli's unofficial guide on EAC and flac.  I will include that in the title.

Please accept my apologies.

EDIT: Here's a link to the flac website:
http://flac.sourceforge.net/documentation_...ncoding_options
With no -S options, flac defaults to '-S 10s'. Use --no-seektable for no SEEKTABLE.

Reply #4
One entry for every 10 seconds of audio sounds like a very small price to pay.

Reply #5
This thread was split from Eli's unofficial guide on EAC and flac.  I will include that in the title.

Please accept my apologies.

EDIT: Here's a link to the flac website:
http://flac.sourceforge.net/documentation_...ncoding_options
With no -S options, flac defaults to '-S 10s'. Use --no-seektable for no SEEKTABLE.

Darn, missed that. I guess my question, and the -S flag, are unnecessary after all, so sorry.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?  ;~)

Reply #6
I'm no expert but doesn't the seektable allow one to jump to an arbitrary time within the file when playing it back?
with FLAC, seektables are not required for random access but they can speed up the access time.  on a PC and most devices you probably won't notice the difference.