Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Internet Radio with Android remote? (Read 4390 times) previous topic - next topic

Internet Radio with Android remote?

Free is always good, I listen to BBC2 , BBC4 and Classical mostly.
I have a laptop (PC) connected to my amp (Marantz PM6010KI) with an external usb drive for storage, running Vista 32bit and use Foobar for playback controlled by a Nexus 7 tablet.

Are there any free radio programs that will allow me to listen to any or all of the above stations with remote access through my Android tablet?

Can anybody please help me set this up?

Reply #3
file>add location

or if you've installed foobar properly (not portable) and have associated all the filetypes, it will open those links by default if you open them in your browser.

Reply #4
I'll try the first option , I tried my browser (firefox) and vlc decided it would give it a try instead.

Reply #5
That worked, not much station info but it did work.
Now, is there anyway I can do this via my tablet with foobarcon? Do I have to save it as a play list?

Reply #6
OK guys got it working, however the lack of station and programming info isn't doing it for me.
Are there any dedicated radio software programs controllable via an android tablet?

I will have a look at Windows media player and see if I can go through that but the thing can be twitchy and I always seem to end up cursing at it.

Reply #7
I think the concrete solution you search for does not exist. It's something like airplay (or sending the audio to another device), and having the whole thing on your phone/tablet.
In theory, it should be possible to do with UPnP, but the radio application in the phone should be able to tell the upnp player to play what it says (in this case, a remote url), while the app itself manages all the rest of the info. In other words, it's not a remote. It is audio played remotely.

In my Samsung phone, the player app is able to send audio to an upnp player (like the TV, which is connected to the stereo), but i haven't really found a nice way to play online radios. (For that I had to do a cumbersome solution setting an upnp server with the online radio links).

Reply #8
can you control the windows desktop from an android app? perhaps then you could control iplayer or any other website from the tablet.

Reply #9
Thanks Marc, Ive downloaded TeamViewer which puts the PC's desktop on the tablet, on the desktop I have put a link to BBC iplayer radio and I am now able to get BBC radio on my music server. All I need to do now is learn how to configure it properly and add more internet radio station links to the desktop or dedicated folder and I think it will be spot on.
Thanks again.