Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Encoding AAC with foobar2000 without creating M4A file (Read 3475 times) previous topic - next topic

Encoding AAC with foobar2000 without creating M4A file

Hi, I've successfully create a M4A file from AC3 with foobar2000 using NeroAACEnc, but is it possible to encode straight to AAC without creating the M4A container?
I need this to put the audio track into a MKV file.
Thanks!

Reply #1
You'd need to use an encoder with the option to create a raw file, or strip the container post-encode (e.g. with MP4Box).

Reply #2
Thanks for the quick response, any advice on an enconder with that feature?

Reply #3
I don't know of any (perhaps there are), but anyway it shouldn't be difficult to perform the extra step of extracting with MP4Box; you could probably even create a batch file.

Reply #4
What are you using to mux to MKV?

I've done exactly what you describe many times (well, almost exactly - I use eac3to instead of fb2k), and MKVToolnix (and therefore mkvmerge) has never had a problem with Nero-encoded M4A files.
"Not sure what the question is, but the answer is probably no."

Reply #5
What are you using to mux to MKV?

I've done exactly what you describe many times (well, almost exactly - I use eac3to instead of fb2k), and MKVToolnix (and therefore mkvmerge) has never had a problem with Nero-encoded M4A files.

Thanks for your advice, with mkvmerge now it works!