Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Impress your friends (Read 3896 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Impress your friends

Reply #1
Tacky, but to each his own.

Reply #2
Yowzers! I think the back looks better than the front!

Reply #4
Tacky, but to each his own.
The profits will all go to charity, no doubt.
About $1495 from each sale then.

Seriously, apart from the price, is it that different from the illuminated maker's logo on a certain brand of laptops? Although, I guess with those at least it's free to the user - apart from the gratuitous battery-wastage.

Reply #5
I would be embarrassed to have that in my living room.  :-[

Reply #6
Normally I don't care how most electronics look because it's typically not unsightly.  But that is one very ugly peice of equipment.  It should say "how to lose your friends" instead.

Reply #7
Looks like something you'd find on Alibaba ready to be customized in bulk.

Reply #9
Although, I guess with those at least it's free to the user - apart from the gratuitous battery-wastage.
What gratuitous battery-wastage? It's just the screen backlight leaking through a translucent piece of plastic.

Reply #10
Although, I guess with those at least it's free to the user - apart from the gratuitous battery-wastage.
What gratuitous battery-wastage? It's just the screen backlight leaking through a translucent piece of plastic.
Fair point if that's the case. Personal opinion but it's pretentious and it's free advertising for the maker (not that other makes are immune). They could probably still make a more practical use of the light, with a small effort (a reflector perhaps).

Reply #11
Hence a likely reason why the newer models don't have an illuminated logo any longer.

Reply #12
Does it lift veils on the soundstage?

Reply #13
Towels, book, keyring, chair.... and more etc.

This is not for the brand-loyal, this is for the brand obsessed. Wasn't McIntosh once a respected audio brand?
The most important audio cables are the ones in the brain

Reply #14
I beg to differ! If I ran the company and felt there was demand for $1500 "Handcrafted in USA" signs bearing my company's logo, my only question would be "How would you like to pay for that, Sir?". I never felt that I had the luxury of turning down a good honest buck (or in this case, 1500 of them). Anyone who suggests that the price should reflect true cost plus a "reasonable" markup is clearly not understanding how the luxury-goods market works  ;)

Reply #15
Wasn't McIntosh once a respected audio brand?
I still remember when Mcintosh was the top name in audio electronics, before it was purchased by Sony. My assumption at that time was that their quality would probably suffer (Japanese products were not well respected at the time).

Reply #16
Wasn't McIntosh once a respected audio brand?
I still remember when Mcintosh was the top name in audio electronics, before it was purchased by Sony. My assumption at that time was that their quality would probably suffer (Japanese products were not well respected at the time).

The most recent item I can find about this topic is this:

https://www.psaudio.com/article/industry-news/

"[In its 70 year history, McIntosh Laboratory has had a number of owners. The company was bought by the Japanese car audio maker Clarion in 1980, and was sold to D&M Holdings—which also owned Denon and Marantz, among several other audio companies— in 2003. The Fine Sounds Group was formed in 2007 when Italian capital group Quadrivio SGR bought Sonus Faber; Mauro Grange came on as CEO of Sonus Faber in 2009, the same year the group bought Audio Research. Subsequently, Fine Sounds purchased the importer/distributor Sumiko in 2010; Wadia in 2011; and McIntosh in 2012. Fine Sounds also owned an Asian distribution company, Fine Sounds Asia, and started a luxury headphone brand, Pryma. In 2014, Grange and McIntosh Laboratory President Charlie Randall led a buyout of Fine Sounds in partnership with two capital groups, and in 2016, the group was renamed McIntosh Group. Complicated, eh? —Ed.]"

Is there more news that is more recent than this?

Reply #17
My apologies, I was thinking of Marantz that was bought by Sony in the 60's, not Mcintosh.