Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Which Beyerdynamics DT880 is right? (Read 2644 times) previous topic - next topic

Which Beyerdynamics DT880 is right?

Hello,
I have a Yamaha RX-V793 receiver. I have a set of Boss speakers connected to the first set of speaker ports on its back (for movies), and 2 custom built speakers connected to a second set of speaker ports (for music). I also use Sony MDR-V600 headphones via the receiver's front headphone exit, and sometimes via the front panel of the computer case. The sound card is ADI AD2000B on an Asus P5Q Deluxe motherboard and I connect it to the receiver with an optical cable on the motherboard backpanel.

Now, I want to buy the Beyerdynamics DT880 to replace my headphones, and I don't know which of the versions to get, the 32Ohm, 250Ohm or the 600Ohm.
Preferably, at this point, I don't have the buck to also buy a headphones amp. Which DT880 will be best? I'm assuming the speakers amp I have can power even the 600Ohm version, but then again, I'm a newbie, and I don't know much. Also, I heard a speakers amp such as the one I have will not compliment the higher impedance headphones as well as a specialized headphones amp. Is this accurate?
Any other thoughts or suggestions?
Thank you very much, and I'm sorry for asking so many newbie questions.

Reply #1
Headphone output impedance in this receiver is at least 390 Ohm. With the lower impedance headphones connected this may result in audible change in the frequency response, particularly with DT880 you may expect a bump in the bass area (around 80..100 Hz). So for minimum distortion the 600 Ohm version is more suitable. On the other hand, the increased bass may be actually what you would like, depending on your taste.

Dedicated headphone amplifiers vary in schematic design, so strictly speaking you can't generalize them to be necessarily "better" than your receiver. While some of them may measure better with this particular load, it doesn't mean that the difference will be audible (or dramatically audible, for that matter).

Reply #2
Thank you. This is the answer i was looking for.
I'm not a bass head, so I guess I'll be getting the 600Ohm version.