Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: LAME 4.0 alpha 13 CLI encoder for TESTING ONLY 20 (Read 31706 times) previous topic - next topic

LAME 4.0 alpha 13 CLI encoder for TESTING ONLY 20

Reply #25
i tried the lame 4 alpha 14, and it's really fast , amazing, now the encding it's x2 fast.

If with lame 3.97 i spend 30'' with 4 alpha 13 it's 17'' ..woowww...

When a fast encoding for ogg vorbis? I have the optimized sse2, but in comparison with this lame "looks slow" (and it's).

Reply #26
I decided to use Lame4.0a14 to re-rip and encode Glenn Gould Goldberg Variations 1981 recording. Not entirely happy with the 3.97b2 encode using -V 2 --vbr-new on my ipod. The 4.0 encode using -V 0 sounds terrific. I've encoded a few more classical piano CDs and the results are excellent. Congrats to the developers!

Reply #27
I decided to use Lame4.0a14 to re-rip and encode Glenn Gould Goldberg Variations 1981 recording. Not entirely happy with the 3.97b2 encode using -V 2 --vbr-new on my ipod. The 4.0 encode using -V 0 sounds terrific. I've encoded a few more classical piano CDs and the results are excellent. Congrats to the developers!

Shouldn't you try -V0 on 3.97b2 before jumping to 4.0a14?
we was young an' full of beans

Reply #28

Shouldn't you try -V0 on 3.97b2 before jumping to 4.0a14?

Sorry, should have said this. Yes, I did and was happy with the result. But thought that seeing I had the .wav image of the CD (one of my favourite classical discs) ripped anyway, I should give 4.0 a run. I've since encoded Gerard Willems' Beethoven Sonatas with similar good results, again replacing 3.97b2 V2 and V0 versions. I'll be trying a couple of Wynton Marsalis  trumpet discs tonight to see how 4.0 handles it.

I should also explain that I've been a lurker for the last few months learning about EAC/Lame from the great comments/tutorials/etc on this board. I've since re-ripped/encoded over 550 CDs to replace older 128bps MusicMatch MP3's to go onto my new 60G ipod. This included setting up a variety of AAC vs MP3 tests using iTunes. But I've decided to stick with MP3 via Lame. I've also experimented with FLAC to see if it makes sense to create an archive of my "cannot replace" CDs.

So thanks to all the posters who have shared their experiences with us lurkers.

Reply #29
Does anyone have en idea of when lame 4.0 MIGHT be available in a stable release? I suppose this wouldn't be in just a few months, but I haven't followed any other lame development (and recently noticed i encoded my entire cd-collection with 3.90) 
Can't wait for a HD-AAC encoder :P

Reply #30
Not entirely happy with the 3.97b2 encode using -V 2 --vbr-new on my ipod. The 4.0 encode using -V 0 sounds terrific. I've encoded a few more classical piano CDs and the results are excellent.
I think you are likely to get flamed here if you don't provide some ABX-results that show that 4.0 sounds better (to you) than 3.97 b2. You are violating TOS #8.
//From the barren lands of the Northsmen

Reply #31
Not entirely happy with the 3.97b2 encode using -V 2 --vbr-new on my ipod. The 4.0 encode using -V 0 sounds terrific. I've encoded a few more classical piano CDs and the results are excellent.
I think you are likely to get flamed here if you don't provide some ABX-results that show that 4.0 sounds better (to you) than 3.97 b2. You are violating TOS #8.

Well, I'm not sure that jumping up two notches on the quality settings and claiming that it sounds better constitutes a TOS #8 violation. It's common sense! Even when we are talking about a beta vs an alpha of the same codec.

But it has already been said: quality comments on LAME 4.0 alphas are not welcome until public tests have begun.

And besides, this guy just said that he is not "entirely happy" with V2 on the recommended LAME compile. I guess that says a lot (and that does constitute a TOS #8 violation)
I'm the one in the picture, sitting on a giant cabbage in Mexico, circa 1978.
Reseñas de Rock en Español: www.estadogeneral.com

Reply #32
It would be nice to have more details. You said that 3.97 --V2 isn't that good. That's interesting: developers may be interested to know what the problem is and to correct it (-> submitting a sample illustrating the issue may be useful).
You said that 4.00b14 -V0 is terrific; what about 3.97b2 -V0 too?

Reply #33

Man, I want to avoid those TOS #8 police. They sound mean!

Without wanting to get flamed off the board on my first post (and I'm happy to crawl back to my lurking hole again), I was searching for any threads about Lame4.0, found this one, and decided to post a thanks to the developers given my positive experience. I wouldn't want anyone to read my post as any sort of scientific comment on one rev vs another.

'nuff said, back to ripping...

Reply #34
It's not a matter of being mean, but of proving statements you made:
Not entirely happy with the 3.97b2 encode using -V 2 --vbr-new on my ipod.

What exactly weren't you happy about? Is that ABXable?
"To understand me, you'll have to swallow a world." Or maybe your words.

Reply #35
It's not a matter of being mean, but of proving statements you made:
Not entirely happy with the 3.97b2 encode using -V 2 --vbr-new on my ipod.

What exactly weren't you happy about? Is that ABXable?

Will everyone please lighten up.  The man was merely expressing his opinion.  He's not preaching to convert anyone to some cult religion.  It's his opinion, and he doesn't have to prove it.  When discussing 'perceptual' encoders, there is no absolute truth.  Microsoft has published ABX listening tests which show Windows Media Encoder to superior to everything.  Call me skeptical.  "Can't we all just get along...."

Reply #36
Will everyone please lighten up.  The man was merely expressing his opinion.  He's not preaching to convert anyone to some cult religion.  It's his opinion, and he doesn't have to prove it.  When discussing 'perceptual' encoders, there is no absolute truth.  Microsoft has published ABX listening tests which show Windows Media Encoder to superior to everything.  Call me skeptical.  "Can't we all just get along...."

You're on the wrong forum, buddy. ABX tests are infallible when implemented correctly. I'm not going to argue it though here... if you don't like the rules, there are other places on the internet to hang out. Around here, he DOES have to prove his opinion.

Reply #37

You're on the wrong forum, buddy. ABX tests are infallible....

Infallible??  Well, if you say so.  I stand corrected.

Reply #38

You're on the wrong forum, buddy. ABX tests are infallible....

Infallible??  Well, if you say so.  I stand corrected.

They are, and they are reproducible. And they are the most scientific way of proving such a statement.

One is entitled to his opinion, but once he decides to share it, it must be backed up by evidence.
I'm the one in the picture, sitting on a giant cabbage in Mexico, circa 1978.
Reseñas de Rock en Español: www.estadogeneral.com