Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_looks v2.1 (Read 474422 times) previous topic - next topic

foo_looks v2.1

Reply #25
EDIT: Any suggestions why
function onrightbuttonup(this) fb2k_menuCommand('Foobar2000/Exit') end]

results in a foobar failure error?

the exit button error seems to have been fixed for me with the latest foo looks 2.1 and fb2k 0.8

be sure you remove the old foo_looks.dll from your /foobar2000/components/ directory, or you'll have some weird problems..

foo_looks v2.1

Reply #26
i use this for the close button in graviton:

Code: [Select]
list scripts string { "[function onleftbuttonup(this) fb2k_menuCommand('Foobar2000/Exit') end]" }

and i never get any errors/failures

foo_looks v2.1

Reply #27
no old foo_looks.dll files anywhere in sight...

foo_looks v2.1

Reply #28
...So my idea was to use foo_looks with a transparent cover art look like yours (but without the mouseover functionality) over the playlist, so the album art effectively appears as a background to the playlist.

The problem is I don't know how to acheive this.  The look should only stay on top of the foobar2000 main window.  But if I select  Always On Top then it stays on top of every application, and if I deselect Always On Top then it becomes hidden behind everything, even the foobar2000 main window.

Use mine... (reload it )

set look "always on top" AND foobar "minimize in the system tray" (preferences/display/defaut user interface/system tray)

to kill mouseover functionality change this:

alpha = 40...

Thanks melomane.  This kind of does the trick.  However, there are two problems for me.  Firstly, I tend to focus other apps just by clicking them in the task bar.  It is a pain to have to minimise foobar2000 first.  And if i don't minimise it then the look is still on top of everything.  I don't know of any way to make foobar2000 automatically minimise whenever it loses focus to another app.

Secondly is something I hadn't considered which is that using a transparent look as a background doesn't really work because of course really it is still on top so when I click on the playlist where the look is, the playlist doesn't respond.  I am actually clicking on the look.  I presume there is no way round this, unless it is possible to configure a look to ignore mouse input and pass it to the window behind it?

foo_looks v2.1

Reply #29
for the background section try using this:
bool  mouseinput  false

i don't know whether this will prevent dragging as well, too early for me to start working.

foo_looks v2.1

Reply #30
unless it is possible to configure a look to ignore mouse input and pass it to the window behind it?

when you use render.erase on the background sprite, any pixels that are totally transparent pass mouse input to the window beneath

go back to my post on 'open projects' (page 1) try out #003, called albumart frame

play a song that doesn't have any albumart, then position the skin over the fb2k playlist... you'll be able to click right through the center of the skin!

foo_looks v2.1

Reply #31
for the background section try using this:
bool  mouseinput  false

i don't know whether this will prevent dragging as well, too early for me to start working.

Hmm.. the look I am using from melomane doesn't have any part that says "background section" (or "section background").  I don't know anything about ski files.

There is a line with the text "sprite background" so I tried creating a new line under that with the text "bool mouseinput false" but this didn't seem to have any effect.

So I thought perhaps I needed to create my own background section so I added a new line with the text "section background" at the end of the file and then a line with "bool mouseinput false" under that but this also didn't seem to have any effect.

foo_looks v2.1

Reply #32
unless it is possible to configure a look to ignore mouse input and pass it to the window behind it?

when you use render.erase on the background sprite, any pixels that are totally transparent pass mouse input to the window beneath

go back to my post on 'open projects' (page 1) try out #003, called albumart frame

play a song that doesn't have any albumart, then position the skin over the fb2k playlist... you'll be able to click right through the center of the skin! 

I loaded the tk-albumart_frame.ski look and I get errors:
[Warning] Unable to find import file - [Line 5] Token = 'import'
Reference to undefined script 'draglook' encountered in section 'background'
Reference to undefined script 'albumartDisplay' encountered in section 'albumart'
Reference to undefined script 'draglook' encountered in section 'bgCover'

I'm afraid I don't know anything about .ski files so don't know what to do about these.

Presuming this is an unrelated issue, looking at your explanation I guess this means I will only be able to click through the album art where the pixel colour in the image is white?  Is this correct?  Is there any way to make it so all pixels are clickable through?

foo_looks v2.1

Reply #33
ok, the albumframe errors are due to the relocating of the common scripts file

i'm sorry i didn't see that issue before it happened

i'll fix that ASAP

as for your requests - i'm starting to get the feeling that the kind of functionality you are looking for is very different to that of a typical skin

by reading your comments i think you need a dedicated albumart plugin.

foo_looks can achieve this, but it won't pass mouse input to the window beneath unless you are clicking on invisible parts of the skin

so if you tried to click through an album cover, the fb2k window wouldn't respond

foo_looks v2.1

Reply #34
ok, the albumframe errors are due to the relocating of the common scripts file

i'm sorry i didn't see that issue before it happened

i'll fix that ASAP

Thanks

as for your requests - i'm starting to get the feeling that the kind of functionality you are looking for is very different to that of a typical skin

by reading your comments i think you need a dedicated albumart plugin.

Yes, I'm starting to think you're right.

foo_looks can achieve this, but it won't pass mouse input to the window beneath unless you are clicking on invisible parts of the skin

so if you tried to click through an album cover, the fb2k window wouldn't respond

Is there any way foo_looks could be changed to allow this behaviour?  The beauty of foo_looks compared to other solutions is how configurable it is.  I can't see I would be likely to get that level of configurablility with an album art plugin.  Also if it worked how I wanted I could then use this with any playlist GUI: the default one, foo_ui_columns or whatever else comes along in the future.

Putting aside the click-pass-through issue for a moment, is there an answer to my other question:  is it possible to make the look window always on top of the foobar2000 window but not on top of other applications?  An example of what I would like is the foobar2000 console window.  This is always on top of the foobar2000 main window, but if I bring another app to the front without minimising foobar2000 then that app is on top of the console window too.  It would be great if foo_looks could do this.

foo_looks v2.1

Reply #35
[Putting aside the click-pass-through issue for a moment, is there an answer to my other question:  is it possible to make the look window always on top of the foobar2000 window but not on top of other applications?  An example of what I would like is the foobar2000 console window.  This is always on top of the foobar2000 main window, but if I bring another app to the front without minimising foobar2000 then that app is on top of the console window too.  It would be great if foo_looks could do this.

Not presently because the look window is a child of the desktop window.  I can see about adding a config setting to allow this to be configured so that foo_looks can be a child of the foobar2000 window.

foo_looks v2.1

Reply #36
Thanks DanZ.

foo_looks v2.1

Reply #37
Secondly is something I hadn't considered which is that using a transparent look as a background doesn't really work because of course really it is still on top so when I click on the playlist where the look is, the playlist doesn't respond.  I am actually clicking on the look.  I presume there is no way round this, unless it is possible to configure a look to ignore mouse input and pass it to the window behind it?

You will still have issues with other apps getting in the way, but you could have a transparent fb2k window ontop of the albumart window.  That way atleast you could see your art, and click on the playlist...

foo_looks v2.1

Reply #38
This has nothing to do with the previous post, but I wanted to add a small contribution...

I like the exit button from foo_looksv1 default skin 'mini', and I miss it in the new foo_looksv2 default skin 'mini'. I also need a button to show/hide foobar's main window . Thus I've made small mods to foo_looks.ski includind these features (modded .ski here)

Maybe  the developers (danZ, tk32 ?) could include these small (but handy, at least for me) features in the next foo_look versions ?

foo_looks v2.1

Reply #39
danZ is the plugin developer

i am the skins, scripts & tutorials guy

the default look was created by danZ as a feature-showcase. i'm sure he'd be happy to add requested features, but if you are able to add them yourself, then that's even better

i love the idea of users modifying the skins to their own needs - that's what i call uber-customization!

foo_looks v2.1

Reply #40
Great effort guys thanks. Now we need more skins. I think updating the foobar looks site would attract more developers, wouldn't it?
The object of mankind lies in its highest individuals.
One must have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star.

foo_looks v2.1

Reply #41
Great effort guys thanks. Now we need more skins. I think updating the foobar looks site would attract more developers, wouldn't it?

or how about updating the new foo_looks 2.0 gallery?

foo_looks v2.1

Reply #42
yeah

the 2.0 gallery is my responsibility

i will bring it up to date as soon as possible

however, i'm not sure when AngelGR will update foobarlooks.tk - it's still only 1.0 compatible. i have a bad feeling that site will fizzle out - as i asked him to make an update 2 months ago.

here is a provisional list of skins - if anyone knows of any i forgot, then please emend the list

foo_looks 2.0 compatible skins:
  • default look - danZ
  • fooAMP - tk32
  • micropanel - tk32
  • carbon - DocUK
  • concept - UpNorth
  • Graviton* - tk32
  • Hand Orb* - tk32
  • coverart - melomane
  • aeroamp - aero
  • orb* - anza
  • skin raw - URMEL
  • bogslook* - bogsnarth
  • AlbumDisplay - Overdo
[span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%']* this skin is still in development[/span]

hope i didn't forget anyone

foo_looks v2.1

Reply #43
IMPORTANT:

possible bug when used with styleXP
=========================

i've had emails from 3 different users reporting that foo_looks does not work while using the windows XP theming software StyleXP [span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'](http://www.tgtsoft.com/)[/span]

all 3 users have reported skin display problems like this, even after uninstalling StyleXP:

---
[span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%']btw...

Graviton update in the next day or 2![/span]

foo_looks v2.1

Reply #44
....foo_looks & styleXP works fine here 

Anyway, StyleXP (v 1.01) with skin "brushed" already caused trouble when I wanted to have access to "Software" under XP. Uninstalling of programs was not possible anymore. It took me me some time to figure out that StyleXP was the reason. It was possible again when I changed the style.
There are also some other styles that seem to be critical.
So I´m assuming that SOME STYLES are causing the trouble. Anyone who has problems of this kind should try to swith to the standard style (without disabling StyleXP) to see if everything is works fine then.

In that case you should try another style. 

foo_looks v2.1

Reply #45
Style XP and foo_looks working well here (unless the problem I've got with the always on top is related to this, I have to investigate further).

foo_looks v2.1

Reply #46
thanks for the feedback guys

... the plot thickens ...

perhaps it's a graphics card driver problem

maybe some 2d hardware accelerations that are screwing with GDI+

[span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'](i'm no expert on this topic so we may need to find one)[/span]

foo_looks v2.1

Reply #47
Style XP and foo_looks working well here (unless the problem I've got with the always on top is related to this, I have to investigate further).

the AOT problem is generic, i have it here and i'm not running StyleXP.

tk32 - u forgot to list me

Download AlbumDisplay0.2

There is a coverart only sublook, everything is pretty self explanatory, just have a play and use both left and right mouse buttons  I'll add some extra features in later, this is just so there is another skin available to choose from.

foo_looks v2.1

Reply #48
Well,... I wouldn't list my skin as "not under developement".
Shure, I paused (don't know how long, gotta redo the whole thing  ) it, but it's not done.

foo_looks v2.1

Reply #49
IMPORTANT:

possible bug when used with styleXP
=========================

i've had emails from 3 different users reporting that foo_looks does not work while using the windows XP theming software StyleXP [span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'](http://www.tgtsoft.com/)[/span]

all 3 users have reported skin display problems like this, even after uninstalling StyleXP:

---
[span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%']btw...

Graviton update in the next day or 2![/span]

I have this problem solved using the 'F9' key. (I don't use styleXP). But this is still unsolved in 2.1 (still need 'F9')