Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: XLD Requested Features List (Read 201342 times) previous topic - next topic

XLD Requested Features List

Reply #250
I thought that maybe the CLI just manages the transcode/encode and passing the tags, but it's the GUI that's had the most work and not the encoding engine.

For transcoding this is probably true, but that leaves out ripping, verifying, and offsetting.

Reply #251
For transcoding this is probably true, but that leaves out ripping, verifying, and offsetting.

I think I might be able to live with that, though.

That would simplify my workflow. It means I could set up XLD for the best rips possible, and encode to multiple formats, then set up scripts for the CLI for when I need to transcode files into iTunes.

I'll do some testing this week and report back, though it has to be said my scripting skills aren't all that.

Reply #252
For the first time I had the chance to use the "Edit tags before convert" option under Preferences >  Metadata. I had 15 FLACs that I had selected for converting to ALACs, but the FLACs had missing metadata. So I enabled this option and was presented with the tags window. Unfortunately, since the file name wasn't displayed in the window, I couldn't tell which FLAC I was on in the group I selected, making entering metadata very hard. While doing this, I also thought of a change that could make entering metadata from scratch much easier. So, I have 2 suggestions:

1) In the Edit Metadata window, display the file name of the track that's being operated on.
2) Carry over filled-in metadata to subsequent tracks if no metadata exists (this can be user-configurable; i.e. either show the metadata that's embedded or carry over metadata that's been previously been filled in from a previous track. The embedded artwork should be shown and should be also be changeable. Check out how Max does this; it's not perfect )by far), but it's much better than XLD at this activity.

I feel these changes will make it much easier to add consistent metadata without constant cut/paste operations. And please don't suggest that I use iTunes (or some such) to fill in the metadata. I'd rather fill in as much metadata with XLD as possible, since I'm converting on my local HD. My music is on a NAS that I access wirelessly, so slow read/writes are the norm here.

Thanks for a great program! I'm a contributor; it makes me very happy to do some small part to keep XLD on its way to super greatness (it's already great  ).

Reply #253
The progress window needs some enhancements:

1) Make it a true GUI window, not a simple list output. When I'm re-encoding tracks on my hard drive, the lack of an adjustable column width for the track name makes all tracks look the same in the Progress window. Because of this, it's impossible to pick the correct track to cancel, since all the track names display the same.

2) Global Pause, Resume and Quit buttons, along with the same for each entry on the Progress window.

3)  With this nice GUI box would come the ability to neatly display and search (filter) the output. I regularly convert hundreds of tracks at the same time, so this would be a welcome addition. In fact, any changes to the Progress window would be welcome

Thanks for reading.

Reply #254
When selecting multiple files (flac, ape, etc.) for re-encoding, XLD should present me with an all-in-one track list, metadata, and album art window before re-encoding. I should be able to change the metadata, add album art, and review the track names, order and times. This is how Max functions with selecting multiple tracks, and is the reason why I use Max instead of XLD for this function. I would like to use XLD, but this birds-eye view functionality is not there (the "edit tags before convert" option under Preferences > Metadata is not the same, and usually crashes XLD when I use it).

Reply #255
in the CD rip window, some way to "uncheck all" would be nice. that way, if you only want to rip one track, you don't have to click on each checkbox (but one).
in iTunes, cmd-clicking on one checkbox will check/uncheck all.

Reply #256
in the CD rip window, some way to "uncheck all" would be nice. that way, if you only want to rip one track, you don't have to click on each checkbox (but one).
in iTunes, cmd-clicking on one checkbox will check/uncheck all.

Right click on any track or group of tracks and you will be able to check or uncheck those selected as well as the entire list.

Reply #257
first off, i love this application. its truly an incredible application. thank you for its continual development.

the only feature that i would love that is missing (correct me if im wrong or am missing it) is the ability for XLD to output the files in a folder that is the same as the input. Example, if i where converting the record New Wave by Against Me!, it would be nice if i could add that record to the conversion window of XLD, and XLD would then create a folder named Against Me! while putting all the output files within another folder called New Wave within the Against Me! folder, instead of just outputting the raw files in which we then manually create the folder structure.

thank you again for the amazing work.

Reply #259
I have maybe an unusual and small request.  Compare the two files below, and notice the bitrates:

Come Together | The Beatles | Abbey Road | 4:20 | Rock | 149 kbps
Bloom | Radiohead | The King of Limbs | 5:15 | Rock | 114 kbps (VBR)

Both files were encoded as AAC.  The Beatles song was done on a Windows PC using dbPowerAmp & qtaacenc, configured for QuickTime TVBR 68.  The second was done with XLD also using QuickTime TVBR 68.  What I'm wondering is why the Beatles song shows 149 kbps for it's average bitrate, while the Radiohead song shows 114 kbps (VBR), and is there some way to not have the (VBR) part display/be written to the file.  I know all of my files are going to be VBR and really would rather not waste the column space repeating that info.  I pasted some output from MediaInfo if that helps.  Thanks.

Beatles song:
General
Count                            : 275
Count of stream of this kind    : 1
Kind of stream                  : General
Stream identifier                : 0
Count of audio streams          : 1
Audio_Format_List                : AAC
Audio_Format_WithHint_List      : AAC
Audio codecs                    : AAC LC
Audio_Language_List              : English
Complete name                    : 01 Come Together.m4a
File name                        : 01 Come Together.m4a
File extension                  : m4a
Format                          : MPEG-4
Format/Extensions usually used  : mp4 m4v m4a m4b m4p 3gpp 3gp 3gpp2 3g2 k3g jpm jpx mqv ismv isma f4v
Commercial name                  : MPEG-4
Format profile                  : Base Media / Version 2
InternetMediaType                : audio/mp4
Codec ID                        : mp42
Codec ID/Url                    : http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/standalone.html
Codec                            : MPEG-4
Codec/Extensions usually used    : mp4 m4v m4a m4b m4p 3gpp 3gp 3gpp2 3g2 k3g jpm jpx mqv ismv isma f4v
Writing application              : qtaacenc 20100307, QuickTime 7.6.6

Radiohead song:
General
Count                            : 272
Count of stream of this kind    : 1
Stream identifier                : 0
Count of audio streams          : 1
Audio_Format_List                : AAC
Audio_Format_WithHint_List      : AAC
Audio codecs                    : AAC LC
Audio_Language_List              : English
Complete name                    : 01 Bloom.m4a
File name                        : 01 Bloom.m4a
File extension                  : m4a
Format/Extensions usually used  : mp4 m4v m4a m4b m4p 3gpp 3gp 3gpp2 3g2 k3g jpm jpx mqv ismv isma f4v
Commercial name                  : MPEG-4
Format profile                  : Apple audio with iTunes info
InternetMediaType                : audio/mp4
Codec ID                        : M4A
Codec ID/Url                    : http://www.apple.com/itunes/
Codec/Extensions usually used    : mp4 m4v m4a m4b m4p 3gpp 3gp 3gpp2 3g2 k3g jpm jpx mqv ismv isma f4v
Writing application              : X Lossless Decoder 20110212, QuickTime 7.6.6, True VBR Quality 68

Reply #260
These two features have jut be added. Simply amazing application.

Implemented a profile manager. Now you can save frequently used settings as a profile and quickly switch them through the profile menu.

Added support for reading cue sheet associated with multiple files (aka "noncompliant" cuesheet)

Reply #261
Re-add the shortcut "Control + D" to start extraction (or a similar shortcut).
Make it easier to see what profile you are currently using (eg with a tick next to the one currently implemented).

Cheers.

PS: I hope everyone is using the new ripping engine - it owns!

Reply #262
When selecting multiple output formats, it would be nice to be able to use different filename formats for each one. I use different filenames for FLAC (image) and AAC (tracks) so using multiple formats won't work for me.

Reply #263
I like the new profile feature, but I would like to see the following changes made to profiles, the ability to save changes to an existing profile. That is unless I am doing something wrong. Also with profiles, I made a profile to transcode from FLAC to multiple formats, but it doesnt save my name changes within the multiple formats section. For example, when I am working in Multiple formats I change Mpeg-4 aac 320kps... to AAC, but when I save the whole profile, it reverts back to the long spelled out format, and it only seems to happen with aac.

Reply #264
support for creating m3u, ffp, sfv, and md5.

Reply #265
Support for MKA (Matroska Audio).

http://www.matroska.org/technical/guides/faq/index.html

Q: What is the advantage of using the .mka file instead of the original audio formats, like mp2, mp3 etc?
A: In many cases there is not a reason to store audio only files in MKA. If you have an audio file with a single track, or "song", that you don't intend to edit.

Here are some reasons that placing audio in MKA is useful:

1. The tags will be the same no matter what audio format you use. That means that if you write a program to read back tags, it only has to read them from one type of tagging system, no matter what type of audio is being used.

2. All tracks to a CD can be in a single file. You have the option of dividing the tracks into seperate Tracks, or seperate Chapters. You could make your own compilation in a single file, even using different audio formats, such as MP3 and Vorbis.

3. If you write a program to read audio of of MKA, then you don't need to understand how the framing works in the different formats because it is already done for you in Matroska.

4. It is easy to delete portions of the audio without reencoding because you just throw away those blocks. You don't even have to be able to play that format back, you could edit by just knowing timecodes.

5. Detecting differences between two audio streams would be easy because you could store both in a single file, start playback, and then just switch between tracks.

6. If you intend to combine the audio with video, then having is in MKA means you can merge it with an MKV, even if the application doesn't support the audio type.

7. In the case of MP3, MP2 AC3 and even some AAC, using "compressed headers" the MKA file may even be smaller than the original "raw" file, without losing any bit of information.

Reply #266
It's too late to read 11 pages sorry...may I request that checkboxes and radio buttons need to be clicked specifically 'on target' rather than simply somewhere on the text line as I find it too easy to change things without meaning to and end up having to reload profiles just to make sure things are as they were.
XLD is an awesome piece of software that continues to amaze me, thank you!

Reply #267
When will XLD be updated with lame 3.99?

Reply #268
When will XLD be updated with lame 3.99?
You can d/l the bundle and insert it by right clicking XLD -> Show package contents, and replacing the included XLDLameOutput.bundle with the version from XLD.

Thorolf

Reply #269
I've just seen that, thank you!

Reply #270
Hi,

First many thanks for this great software.

Is it possible to add these features (first one is the most important):
- Possibility to choose between "Append Gaps to Previous Track" or "Append Gaps to Next Track" (as in EAC) and generate/save cuesheet file as a single file according to the selected Gaps setting.

- MusicBrainz integration for accurate metadata.

Many Thanks in advance

Kind Regards

Reply #271
Right now, it's possible to rip either individual tracks, or a complete CD with the track markers as chapters. What I really really needs is the ability to rip, say, tracks 4-6 as one file, with the track markers as chapters. I.e., extend the functionality of the full CD + chapters in one file to multiple tracks + chapters in one file.

I originally used EAC on Windows for years after getting a Mac because there was nothing really equivalent. Then Rip came out and I used that. Have just switched to XLD, and very very happy: a big thumbs up. The reason I want the above feature is for classical music. It makes absolutely no sense to have, e.g., the three movements of a concerto as three different files: for resuming an interrupted work, for shuffling, for sorting, it makes sense to have them joined as one file, but with chapters. Right now, I'm forced to run XLD with whole CD + chapters, and then trim the resulting file. Very laborious. The above would fix this problem.

Reply #272
It would be wonderful if XLD would read the CD-Text information from the disc and include it in the CUE file.
@tmkk Thanks for the awesome work!

I'd also love to see CD-Text readable from CD and DDP.  ISRC and UPC are already passed through from both, so I was surprised to find the CD Text missing.  Have had to revert to EAC to get that, but much prefer working on a Mac with XLD.

Reply #273
This is a large request but I would love to see integration with the CueTools database (CTDB). I only recently started using CueTools and it is extremely useful to have another source when your rip appears to be free of major errors (CRC mismatches and the like) but has no AccurateRip matches or does not match. Integration of the error correction would be great, too.

Reply #274
Can we please have two file name options:
1. For compilations:
Compilations/%T/%a - %T - %n - %t
2. for Artist
%A/%T/%a - %T - %n - %t