Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Lossless > mp3 - alt-preset-standard not reported (Read 2121 times) previous topic - next topic

Lossless > mp3 - alt-preset-standard not reported

hi guys

I have been using foobar 2000 now as my primary means to convert from Lossless to mp3 over the past few months. I have set up all the options correctly and encode to alt-preset-standard. I use Lame 3.96.1.

I checked with MrQuestionMan today on some of these files and instead of reporting the encoder setting as APS it is reporting them as VBR V2.

Does anybody have any idea why this is happening? Surely it should be reporting as APS? I use EAC and exactly the same command line and LAME compile to rip CDs and these report as APS in MrQuestionMan.

It also looks like the bitrate seems a bit low - around the 180 avergae mark when i would be expecting it to be more around 200. Does this have anything to do with it?

thanks for your help guys!

Reply #1
V2 = APS.

Reply #2
That's weird... what version of MrQuestionMan is it?

Whether I've used fb2k 0.8.3 or 0.9b9 to convert, my 3.96.1 --preset standard (V2) encodes are reported as:

"MPEG 1 Layer III LAME 3.96r V2: preset standard" - in MQM 0.7 and 0.701

Anyhow... (the long version of what anza said:) since LAME version 3.95.1, the -V2 preset is equal to (alt)--preset standard. http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=18091

And the bitrate is within the expected range for V2/APS, so I doubt it has anything to do with it.