Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Nice pair of Headpones (Read 4869 times) previous topic - next topic

Nice pair of Headpones

Any suggestions on the a nice pair of headphones, either earbuds, or regular headpones? I have been looking at some sennheisers or sonys. i would like a pair that have pretty good bass response and are compact enought for me to carry for use with and mp3 player or laptop. are their any other brands that i havnt heard of, something that is not so mainstream?

Nice pair of Headpones

Reply #1
I am not sure if they are small enough for you to carry with you (it's a personal preference), but I am fond of my Grado SR-80's.  For the price, they are hard to beat.  I got mine new for about $100 a couple years ago.

Nice pair of Headpones

Reply #2
It depends on your budget and demands..
If your budget is unlimited, check out the Etymotic in-ear phones.
Otherwise, use the search function on this board and find threads on this subject like these: 1 , 2 , 3 or 4

Nice pair of Headpones

Reply #3
If portability is a priority, then I'd recommend the Sennheiser PX 100. I'm a happy user myself and I can tell they are amazing for the size (and price). They are even better than the Koss Porta Pro I used to carry around. The PX 100 comes with a really useful plastic case to store them (about he size of a sunglasses case).

Enjoy!

Nice pair of Headpones

Reply #4
Any suggestions on the a nice pair of headphones, either earbuds, or regular headpones? I have been looking at some sennheisers or sonys. i would like a pair that have pretty good bass response and are compact enought for me to carry for use with and mp3 player or laptop. are their any other brands that i havnt heard of, something that is not so mainstream?

Highly recommend Koss Porta Pro. Have excellent bass response. Foldable. Very light. Can wear them for hours. Do not induce headphone fatigue. Can jog with them if you want to. Highly sensitive, designed for portable equipment. Finally they have superb policy: if something happens with them, send them back, and they either repair them or send you the new onces. You only have to pay the cost of shipping your old cans. 'Life time warranty', that is. Have been using them for many years, and still happy and don't feel like switching to anything else.

Nice pair of Headpones

Reply #5
I have the Sennheiser PX 200s which cost me ~$100 CDN - I highly recommend these headphones. They're quite easy to drive with my portable and sound quite good without an amp. The included carrying case is a nice bonus and has saved them on many occasion.

Hope I helped.
-arch

Nice pair of Headpones

Reply #6
I have been using Koss KSC-50s for a long time. They are wonderful portable headphones, which have the same drivers (with great bass response), IIRC, as the PortaPros reccomended above. The difference is that they have an earclip design (no headband). I have found them to be very comfortable for long periods of listening (sometimes all day). Great for use with hats and won't bother your hair.
These are cheaper too, at under US$20.

Nice pair of Headpones

Reply #7
Finally they have superb policy: if something happens with them, send them back, and they either repair them or send you the new onces. You only have to pay the cost of shipping your old cans. 'Life time warranty', that is. Have been using them for many years, and still happy and don't feel like switching to anything else.

I'm also a happy Koss Porta Pro user, and their lifetime warranty is no joke. I wore my headphones so much the earpads disintegrated, so I sent them in along with $6 and they sent me a new pair. Then I used those for years until I finally broke the wire going to the left ear. $6 and a couple weeks later, I got yet another new pair. My Porta Pro "subscription" has averaged out to $4/year, and it just keeps getting better!

The only downside to the Porta Pros is that they look very silly on your head. I get a lot of questions, double-takes, and stares when I wear them in public.  Try the KSC-35's or KSC-50's for more a discrete headphone experience.

Nice pair of Headpones

Reply #8
Another vote for Sennheiser PX 100, can't complain.

Nice pair of Headpones

Reply #10
these aren't portable in the least, but i've found room in my carry bag for them anyway...

koss R-80.  i think they are discontinued unfortunately, but they're definitely nice (and huge).  and the warranty counts for these too - the plastic band failed one day and i was left with an earphone in each hand, but ~3 weeks later i had my cans back.  if you go through the store you got them, you don't even have to pay shipping (w00t)

it's probably worth getting this brand just because of the lifetime warranty, but definitely audition each pair before you buy.  if the store doesn't have demo pairs, just ask them to unpack one.  they should comply, and if they don't then i wouldn't shop there.

Nice pair of Headpones

Reply #11
Shure E3/E3C....  Can't beat em (except for maybe the E5's, but not by enough to make it worth the extra $400 IMHO)

E2/E2c's if you're on more of a budget.

You also can't beat the warranty..... if they're in warrranty, replaced/fixed no questions asked.  Out of warranty, $75 (regardless of original price, but I think they're working on something better for the E2's) and they're replaced, again.... no questions asked.

D.