Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_midi (Read 82234 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: foo_midi

Reply #325
I see with Fluidsynth, it uses bit more CPU and memory usage compared to BASSMIDI when starts new playback. I wonder if its because of this lib or you could fix it in plugin. Cached always display no info, is it because not being used? Anyway just found this sf2convert to convert soundfont to sf3 if anyone need :)

Reply #326
For anyone that had the same problem as me, with their default Windows soundfont for BASSMIDI not working anymore, this version of the default Windows soundfont seems to work with the new version with FluidSynth:
https://musical-artifacts.com/artifacts/713

Reply #327
Ever since the last version 2.6.0, when I rapidly search a midi track clicking the progress bar, it makes foobar crash.

Edit: Confirmed regression, just tested and 2.5.7 doesn't have this issue for me.

Reply #328
Ever since the last version 2.6.0, when I rapidly search a midi track clicking the progress bar, it makes foobar crash.

Edit: Confirmed regression, just tested and 2.5.7 doesn't have this issue for me.
Happened to me as well.

Reply #329
Should be fixed by 2.6.1.

Reply #330
I can still reproduce the issue as of 2.6.1.

Reply #332
Send me files. Tell me what drivers or plugins you're using.

If they're bundled with Windows, I already have them.

Reply #333
This is my setup. I use the "GeneralUser GS 1.471 - for use with FluidSynth 1.0.9 or later" soundfont.
The DSP list is empty so Effect DSP, Headphone EQ, SoX Resampler etc. don't really matter I think.
foobar2000 set to "Primary Sound Driver", non-exclusive, and in Windows Sound panel I have ticked "all enhancements disabled".

Did I miss anything?

Reply #334
I don't have any problems with VSTis at all before the last update that fixed problems that the previous one before that caused, playback would simply stop if I seeked while it's playing, now it works normally.  It's the built-in stuff like the Nuclear Option, Emu de MIDI, etc. and the FluidSynth that can cause problems with any MIDI I try to seek while it's playing resulting in infinite hangs or crashes.  Before the last update I couldn't even load a different MIDI sometimes without crashes or infinite hangs.

Reply #335
Ah yes, also, I use "FluidSynth" with that mentioned soundfont obviously.

Edit: Also confirmed that it happens not just with FluidSynth but all the other plugins I was able to test, too.

Reply #336
Meh, I just rebuilt that, too. I may need to set vcpkg to retarget it for Windows 7.

Reply #337
Thanks, I tried something new. Let me know how it works.

Reply #338
Still got crashes on my end.  Even trying a portable clean install to only experience the same as before.  One improvement is unlike before is the crash dumps seem to have more useful data in them instead of being empty files and the crash report dialog box does show up.

Reply #339
This is a crash report for 2.6.2. Foobar doesn't seem to always dump after crash, in fact I had to make it crash like 10 times for a report to appear. Thanks for your efforts so far.

Reply #340
I guess I'll ditch FluidSynth and go back to BASSMIDI then.

Reply #341
Just in case you missed my earlier edit, I had the same thing happen with all plugins except for MUNT (just because I don't have it set up) so it seems to be a general issue.

Reply #342
I found a more likely way to cause it: Setting the mixing sample rate to 192 kHz. I'll try to debug it.

Reply #343
Oh, my god. You're going to hate this.

In my play function, it has a block at the start that renders any time left over from the previous call. It's supposed to repeatedly loop sometimes, if we're doing blocked rendering. It's supposed to scope the sample count to how many the caller requested, minus how many have been rendered already.

It was scoping against how many have been rendered, minus how many are requested. Subtracting to an unsigned type, with what would otherwise be a negative result. This resulted in the comparison always failing.

Fixing that, then the while() loop was never escaping if the loop rendered less than the leftover samples, because the loop condition didn't check that state either.

A two-fer! Everything should be lovely now.

Reply #344
Well I'm glad it was a sufficiently crazy bug and that it's gone now. Cheers! ;)

Tested. Yep, it's all working now.

Reply #345
No crashes to report here.  Works great now.

Reply #346
I can also confirm that the crashes are gone, thanks for the fix! :) However, I found an issue with Secret Sauce. It seems that the map isn't updating properly when set from the MIDI filter preferences, for example when I set the flavor to GS SC-88 Pro or GS SC-55, it continues to use the SC-8820 instruments. Disabling reverb and chorus isn't working as well.

Reply #347
Filtering should work properly now.

Reply #348
Indeed it does, thanks.

Reply #349
@kode54

I haven't posted here for a long time. Well, i decided to update foo_midi, to test if the "CoInitialize" error would be fix (always i get that error every time that i play a song again, after stopped it for the first time, and mainly happens with midi files), when i was going to set it up, i found an option called "MIDI Filter" that replace the "Secret Sauce" option, but that it worked only with SC-VA, i tested it with the S-YXG50 with the GS flavour (there's four options, but i chose SC-55 because it is the closest) and works!, works with S-YXG2006LE too, now i don't listen a "melodic" drum channel anymore!

I just came back to thank you. I don't know in which version was added because i don't updated it since 2020, but i like that new feature, it's exactly what i wanted! Thanks!