Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Burn CD from TAK using Nero 11: what plugins do I need? (Read 7121 times) previous topic - next topic

Burn CD from TAK using Nero 11: what plugins do I need?

Hello , I am new to these boards but there seems to be a lot of knowledgeable people here so I guess I will be visiting regularly now:)

I have a question regarding this new codec - if I want to burn a CD using Nero 11, what additional plug ins should I get? Btw, good job on this TAK format, listened to it for the first time recently and enjoyed the sound quality.

Reply #1
Btw, good job on this TAK format, listened to it for the first time recently and enjoyed the sound quality.
Sound quality has nothing to do with it, given that all lossless formats preserve the input signal exactly. Perhaps congratulate TBeck not for that but instead for implementing many features that actually matter, including a highly competitive mean compression ratio, which is the entire purpose of lossless compression.

Reply #2
i have no idea what nero is capable of so i'd just suggest converting to wav first. i'd wager most software capable of playing back tak files would have that feature builtin without requiring extra software.

Reply #3
There was a Nero Burning ROM filter question about license(s) of plugin(s) that never really got addressed: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....st&p=658957
I believe that was one reason why a public release did not occur.
"Something bothering you, Mister Spock?"

Reply #4
In a much delayed after-thought...
The thread I referred to above is the TAK Directshow filter, which might allow WMP (and other media programs) to burn audio CD's from TAK files.

I can not confirm WMP, however I ran a test mode of TAK image file (with external CUEsheet) using the above DShow filter and ImgBurn (WinXP x86 machine). I had one issue with TAK DShow install.bat not registering the filter, which was fixed by merging the registry file manually (right-click 'TAK_Registration.reg' -> 'Merge' -> click 'Yes').

ImgBurn was fine with TAK+CUE image but multiple TAK files as separate tracks it wanted to burn them as a data CD instead of an audio CD, which was expected given the name of the program. I would predict a DShow program that had audio CD burn capabilities would work, and I can confirm FB2K with the corresponding plugin does work.
"Something bothering you, Mister Spock?"

Reply #5
I never knew ImgBurn uses DirectShow. Real-time decoding and burning. Nice! That way for creating an audio cd an intermediate wav-file isn't necessary anymore. Guess I'm going to use this one from now on. 
Too bad it doesn't support tak-files (yet), but using DC-Bass Source Mod and feeding ImgBurn a cue-sheet referring to the actual tak-image works great too. After converting that cd to a tak-image again with EAC, I can say, compared to the original tak-image, the amount of samples (duration) and filesize are identical.