Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [TOS #8] From: Real-world comparisons of 24-bit and 16-bit music from  (Read 3084 times) previous topic - next topic

[TOS #8] From: Real-world comparisons of 24-bit and 16-bit music from

For some reason the 24-bit one sounds like it has a more in-depth stereo feel to it than the 16-bit one. Now this is only noticed when listening at the original sound level, the bass seems to have more clarity too.  Overall I could just be thinking slim here, but it does sound slightly more vivid than the 16-bit one.
Both are very,very, close.

Also, I tried using foobar&LossyWav --portable setting. Obviously the compression was different by about 10mb but when up sampling the 16bit one to 24bit, it shrank a little compared to the original 16bit compressed. o.O?

Why not try a spectrogram? It would most likely be indistinguishable, though... : /

Reply #1
The spectrogram is clearly distinguishable. The 96kHz track has some >22kHz content that the 44.1kHz track can't have by definition. Why don't you try a round of ABX with Foobar's ABX component? When I compared informally I imagined to hear a difference, too. That vanished, when I couldn't see anymore which track was which. Don't forget to set your output sample rate to 96000 Hz before starting.

Reply #2
The 24bit one has a noticeable difference, it makes all frequencies sound less muddy and more rounded. Though, That could just be the samplerate. 
It does make the equalizing and other such processes more finite/accurate, rather than vaguely big changes.  (IMHO it takes about 3 more db @24bit to make the equivalent when equalizing @ 16bit, weird.)

Do the ABX test... 
Sounds like a good idea! The only thing though that will make 24bit more noticeable is on silent passages. The silent passeges transition much better than 16bit, again it could just be the samplerate  , though. 

Reply #3

Reply #4

I think your last smiley needed to pull the trigger!

Cheers,
David.