Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: iPod manager (Read 2238571 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: [seemingly abandonware] iPod manager

Reply #4050
@musicmusic::

The built-in foobar2000 artwork reader is activated, but I have never really put this feature to the acid test. Thanks for the tip. Even if the order may not be the desired one (in Foobar the picture with the highest resolution is the prioritized one, which will lead to useless wasting of space on the iPod) it may be easier than renaming the artwork manually every time.
Actually, the high resolution won't make much difference. The artwork has to be scaled to specific resolutions that the device wants.

I see; bummer, cause I really liked the friendliness of your plugin.

Long shot (and probably OT here) but now that there's a fb2k mobile version and, AFAIK, it can read iTunes db AND the "documents folder", would it be a lot of work to modify foo_dop (or write a new plugin) to manage that folder?
I'm struggling to maintain the components I already have :)

It's so nice to watch musicmusic working on the plugin at GitHub and to follow piece by piece what's going on.

Press F5 and see the salvation coming closer and closer... ^^
That's also me fiddling with a code base that I've barely touched in six years :)

0.7.0 is now out: https://yuo.be/ipod_manager

I've tested it on nano 7G software version 1.1.2 and haven't noticed anything wrong – let me know how you get on.

A full list of changes can be found in the change log:
https://github.com/reupen/ipod_manager/blob/master/CHANGELOG.md

Reply #4051
Quote from: musicmusic
Actually, the high resolution won't make much difference. The artwork has to be scaled to specific resolutions that the device wants.
Okay, I didn't know that. So all well with the fallbacks^^

Quote from: musicmusic
0.7.0 is now out: https://yuo.be/ipod_manager
For the fact that you had almost nothing to do with the code for such a long time, the result is simply great.
I tested the new version with an old Nano 4G and also with the Nano 7G v1.1.2 and found no errors.
Also the communication between iPod and Foobar seems to run faster, very very nice work.

On behalf of all iPod and Foobar users: Thank you so much for all your efforts !!!

Reply #4052
Yesterday I updated my iPod Nano 7G to v1.0.4 and it works without any trouble.
(i had to downgrade it when I bought it in order to work with foobar2000)

@musicmusic:
Thanks a lot for work. I really appreciated it.

@Nanonyma:
What ist v1.1.2 for the 7G Nano? iTunes tells me 1.0.4 is the latest one.

Reply #4053
Unfortunately I'm unable to check as I've had no success using this plugin with the latest iPhone generations. Maybe if musicmusic is resuming his work on foo_dop I can hope... :)
Unfortunately the status of iOS 5+ support remains along the lines of previous messages. It's not just supporting the new sync protocol – it's also fixing the fact the component doesn't work with the 64-bit versions of the iTunes libraries.

Hello
I have the iPod nano 7th gen. I use this software to manage the iPod as I find iTunes quite annoying really.
I also use Foobar2000 to play music but I add them with iTunes (as i noticed some tracks skipped if they weren't imported via itunes)
I have the software version version 1.0.2 installed on the nano as the 1.0.4 appears not to be compatible with Foobar.
Recently though, i've noticed that my Smart playlists created on the ipod have very wrong Play-Counts. They were reading values well into the million and billion range. I don't know what caused this. Perhaps playing songs in Foobar which has its own play_count statistics or something. This obviously just messed up my playlists (as I have smart playlists that keep track of my Top 10 and top 100 and so on..)
What could be wrong? Is version 1.0.4 now compatible with foobar? Is there any other way around this issue?
Also, is there a way i can use the "genius" feature on the ipod without allowing iTunes to manage the iPod?
Thanks in advance to any tips, suggestions or ideas. (:
I expect 1.0.4 will work with the new version coming out soon.

Interesting about the smart playlist/play counts problem. I don't immediately see anything odd about play counts – there could be something wrong on the smart playlists side, but that sounds like an odd symptom. Could you share a picture so I'm clear on what you're seeing? If you open File/iPod/Manage contents, find one of the problematic files and right-click and select Item details, does it show the wrong info?

No support for genius I'm afraid. It's a bit of a non-starter as the database was thought to be encrypted. Even then, one would need a source for the data to power it.

It just seems odd.
Also, the last poster said he updated his Nano to 1.0.4 and had no issues with foobar usage.
I just wonder whether he lost his data when doing the upgrade? I know for a fact that when i downgraded, i had to lose my music files.
Should I update? Is the 1.0.2 what's causing my issues?

Reply #4054
The direct info for another song on the iPod from foobar (from the directory you requested)

Reply #4055
@Nanonyma:
There are two hardware revisions of the device. Older ones run 1.0.x, newer ones run 1.1.x.

It just seems odd.
Also, the last poster said he updated his Nano to 1.0.4 and had no issues with foobar usage.
I just wonder whether he lost his data when doing the upgrade? I know for a fact that when i downgraded, i had to lose my music files.
Hmm, that does look odd. Almost like an endianness problem (but not quite). I've checked my device and all the play counts are fine.

You said:
I have the iPod nano 7th gen. I use this software to manage the iPod as I find iTunes quite annoying really.
I also use Foobar2000 to play music but I add them with iTunes (as i noticed some tracks skipped if they weren't imported via itunes)
What commands do you use in this component? Note that using any commands from this component that modify the contents of the device when iTunes is running is going to lead to problems (but perhaps not this problem).

Also:
  • Are any of the last played, last skipped and skip count values corrupted?
  • Do you use the Playback Statistics component in foobar2000?
  • Are any of the play counts in your foobar2000 media library corrupted?
  • Are you able to corrupt a new file sent to the iPod?
  • Do you have launch iTunes when the iPod is connected disabled?
  • What kind of play count values would you be expecting for those files?
  • Are any of the values in the 'towards the end' screenshot corrupted?

Reply #4056
@Nanonyma:
There are two hardware revisions of the device. Older ones run 1.0.x, newer ones run 1.1.x.

It just seems odd.
Hmm, that does look odd. Almost like an endianness problem (but not quite). I've checked my device and all the play counts are fine.

You said:
What commands do you use in this component? Note that using any commands from this component that modify the contents of the device when iTunes is running is going to lead to problems (but perhaps not this problem).

Also:
  • Are any of the last played, last skipped and skip count values corrupted?
  • Do you use the Playback Statistics component in foobar2000?
  • Are any of the play counts in your foobar2000 media library corrupted?
  • Are you able to corrupt a new file sent to the iPod?
  • Do you have launch iTunes when the iPod is connected disabled?
  • What kind of play count values would you be expecting for those files?
  • Are any of the values in the 'towards the end' screenshot corrupted?

I don't use any commands in the component at all.
All the other values are okay (last played, skipped etc., on both applications and on the device)
Yes, I use Playback Statistics. (I actually think this is the cause of the problem. As I use Foobar for music playback once I'm on my computer, and I play it off the iPod, it tries to increment the play_count and perhaps it tries to also increment it on the device too and it confuses iTunes :P )
No, no playcounts on my media library on foobar are corrupted.
I don't know. I've not tried corrupting a file on purpose before. O.o
Yes, the auto-launch iTunes_on_connected_iPod is well and truly disabled. Why would i leave it on? I only use iTunes to import the files as I find playback on foobar is better in quality and ease of use. Do you think that's a problem?
I would have been expecting close to maybe 120 for the top files and close to 7 for the lower ones.
Almost all of the files have their playcount values wrong, except perhaps the ones I just imported most recently (about 20 or so)

Just seems odd though. I'm surprised no one has experienced this. I just use the sort by play_count on foobar to get my "real" top-10 and top-50 playlists. Thank God Foobar keeps its own statistics separate from the one in the device, or this would have been a BIG issue then.

Thanks to you guys though. It's always nice to speak to one of these brilliant developers. I did Computer Science but i'm more into Networking than Programming (so i appreciate it when i see pple like you who really know your stuff; well done).

Reply #4057
If you haven't used any of the modifying commands in the component like sync, remove files, send files, rewrite database, 'Save and close' in Manage contents etc. then it's definitely not related to this component. Load library doesn't modify the device at all.  If you don't use Load library then you don't even need this component.

When you play some songs on the device, the iPod creates a Play Counts file which contains how many additional plays there have been for each track. They get imported into the device's main database when use a modifying command from this component, or when you launch iTunes. I don't think this is where the problem has happened though. If you convert the dodgy values to hex you'll see that the ones near the top of the list only have data in the top bytes/bits. Some have data in the lowest bits, which could mean that they've been played after the event that corrupted them all. But that pattern is thrown out of the window towards the end of the list. It's not clear to me how you'd get to the values you're expecting from what's now there. I haven't checked all the values though.

If you don't care about those play counts, I'd suggest just resetting their plays in iTunes and monitoring the situation.

Reply #4058
@musicmusic The iPod Manager update v0.7.0 will not be found by the "Get Updates" feature in FooBar?

Reply #4059
I see support is dropped for XP in the latest version...  But can it still be used with XP?

Also, when I go to the components page there is no option to download?  Does it need to be downloaded from somewhere else, or is it because I am on XP?

Many thanks

Reply #4060
@musicmusic The iPod Manager update v0.7.0 will not be found by the "Get Updates" feature in FooBar?
I've updated the version on the components site now, but the download has never been offered there, so I think foobar2000's behaviour is to just log that there's an update in the console.

I see support is dropped for XP in the latest version...  But can it still be used with XP?
It hasn't been tested, but it's not actively blocked.

Also, when I go to the components page there is no option to download?  Does it need to be downloaded from somewhere else, or is it because I am on XP?
The download is here: https://yuo.be/ipod_manager

Reply #4061
It hasn't been tested, but it's not actively blocked.

foo_dop now requires InitializeCriticalSectionEx function which isn't available in WinXP. So it will refuse to load on XP.

Reply #4062
Looks like that's coming from ATL which is being included by some SAPI (speech API) headers. So, indeed, it does no longer work on XP at all.

Reply #4063
Hi again musicmusic. Recently came into a 4g shuffle, still often used for their waterproof capability. (that's my intention  :P ) Got this error while trying to write/delete, and google turned up this comment on this thread:

i tried it with an iPod shuffle 4G (present) and i got this error message : Failed to query device properties. Write operations are disabled.

When i checked my properties i got this:
Model: iPod Shuffle 4G Blue
Serial Number: CC4H153TDFDP
Firmware Version: 1.0.1

Battery Status: Charging
Raw Battery Data: 0 / 3 / 99

Drive Total Capacity: 1,88 GB
Drive Free Space: 1,28 GB

So it seems like foobar CAN read the ipod's properties.

Any clues what's wrong?
Thanks in advance!

Thanks!

It might be that your iPod has a USB product ID (PID) that iPod manager doesn't recognise. Could you post the contents of the foobar2000 console after plugging the iPod shuffle in?

Also, if you hold down Shift, click on File and then iPod/Raw properties, does it output anything?

Odd chance you're feeling interested in bughunting, Here's the console info of me unplugging it/plugging it in

iPod manager: Apple iPod/iPhone disconnected. Device Instance Path: USB\VID_05AC&PID_1303&MI_00\000A27002324BC7A&AAPL0
iPod manager: Failed to get iPod checkpoint data - Unsupported file format. Artwork functionality will be unavailable.
iPod manager: Apple iPod/iPhone connected. Device Instance Path: USB\VID_05AC&PID_1303&MI_00\000A27002324BC7A&AAPL0

And here's the Shift+File Ipod Raw Properites

removed by moderation

note: I'd just deleted the contents of the device in windows iTunes 12.1 and then added a single file back via itunes to get this info.  If you're keen on info to solve this I'll be happy to provide whatever data I can.

Thanks again for this great software

Reply #4064
It sounds like it's failing to parse the XML plist data, but I ran that example through the relevant function in the component and it was happy. I don't have a shuffle 4G so I'd probably have to send you a few builds with extra logging to work out what's going on.

note: I'd just deleted the contents of the device in windows iTunes 12.1 and then added a single file back via itunes to get this info.
What effect did doing that have on your ability to get that info out?

If you restart foobar2000 after receiving that error, is there any change?

Also note that multiple serial numbers are in that data, so if you don't want those to be public remove it (I have a copy now).

Re: iPod manager

Reply #4065
It sounds like it's failing to parse the XML plist data, but I ran that example through the relevant function in the component and it was happy. I don't have a shuffle 4G so I'd probably have to send you a few builds with extra logging to work out what's going on.

note: I'd just deleted the contents of the device in windows iTunes 12.1 and then added a single file back via itunes to get this info.
What effect did doing that have on your ability to get that info out?

If you restart foobar2000 after receiving that error, is there any change?

Also note that multiple serial numbers are in that data, so if you don't want those to be public remove it (I have a copy now).

Thanks to mod Peter for removing PII (i presume?) and mm for pointing it out. I'll post any logs containing serial number/etc stuff via PM to the relevant recipients for now.

@musicmusic Do you want me to restart foobar2000 and show you the raw properties again? If you need to send me 'a few builds with extra logging' I will be happy to do the test work and send you the results. Let me know whatever info you need (within parameters of my ability to provide it). Running win7 sp1 and latest foobar/latest foo_dop.

Reply #4066
Hey guys,

I realise this component is practically dead but I've recently noticed that foobar no longer imports play counts, rating changes or other playback stats from my iPod Classic (still imports scrobbles though). Has anyone else encountered this problem?
I'm not 100% sure when this started happening. I do know for certain it was fully functional on my old Windows 7 setup around 12 months ago but didn't notice until fairly recently on my Windows 10 set up... a bit fuzzy unfortunately.
I've tried using an earlier version of foo_dop, reinstalled the latest, messing with file permissions, & I've about exhausted everything I can think of to do.
If anyone has some suggestions &/or is able to help please do.

Thanks

Reply #4067
Do you have the Playback Statistics component installed?

That has not been updated since 2011, and you say plays are still being scrobbled, so it would be odd if it's stopped working.

Reply #4068
Example: I have two albums titled, "Greatest Hits", one by Neil Young and one by Guns N Roses, both released in 2004. In album view, instead of having two separate entries, one for each album, I have one entry with all tracks for both albums listed together. i.e. Track 1, Track 1, Track 2, Track 2, etc. What to do? Is this a matter of settings? If I browse by artist, each album is displayed separately.

Reply #4069
I may need more up-to-date documentation. I am using this. But, this does not have "Allow the use of sort order metadata fields from tags" [which I hoped might help] in the Database tab displayed on my foodop v0.70fb2k.
I checked the box for this. I found the "Load library". But, could not find "Update Metadata on IPod"?? [Where the heck is this??] I am trying update everything and not individual tracks. So, I just did the "Rewrite database". 1. I don't know if this process will help my specific issue in my post above? 2. Or, if missing a step here means it will not work?

Reply #4070
I haven't used this in a while but what recall you need to do is load the library first which puts the contents of the iPod in to a playlist. On that playlist you should be able to right click a song or group of songs and see that Update Metadata on iPod option.
Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

Reply #4071
I haven't used this in a while but what recall you need to do is load the library first which puts the contents of the iPod in to a playlist. On that playlist you should be able to right click a song or group of songs and see that Update Metadata on iPod option.
Thx, but I'll be damned if I can find this after using "Load Library"?? I'll have to wait for @musicmusic or anyone else who can provide a clear image, process, etc.

Reply #4072
It's there, ipod > Update Metadata.

Reply #4073
It's there, ipod > Update Metadata.

Well, this helps a lot. When I right-click on a track [after using "Load Library" or not], the only option I see in the right-click menu is "Send to IPod"?? I tried this in "Facets" and in another library. What did you do before the right-click?
EDIT: If you read my previous posts, I was trying "Allow the use of sort order metadata fields from tags" in the Database tab to try to correct something. I thought I needed the additional steps as well in order to put this into effect in my IPod. But, I don't know if this would actually work.

Reply #4074
Click file > iPod > load library. The contents of the iPod should be put in to a new playlist called iPod View. Right click any song within the iPod View playlist and you should see the same context menu in my screenshot.