Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: De-emphasis components (Read 98389 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: De-emphasis components

Reply #125
Does anyone here know why mudlord's foo_dsp_deemph component is not available on the Foorbar2000 components webpage anymore?

Because I thought lvqcl's stuff completely replaces it :/

Reply #126
Does anyone here know why mudlord's foo_dsp_deemph component is not available on the Foorbar2000 components webpage anymore?

Because I thought lvqcl's stuff completely replaces it :/
Thanks for the reply!

Sounds like one more reason to try and get lvqcl's plugin into the official components' list.

Reply #127
Ok, I learned something new today.  I've been using fb2k for years, but just very rudimentarily.  (Just to play CDs, or MP3 or FLAC files burned to CD-Rs.)  I finally wanted to figure out how to deemphasize properly.

I just figured out, that it doesn't work on the fly.  I mean, I play a song right now, and I add the tag and value, deemphasis won't start until I *replay* the song.  Duh.  This is very cool though, I'm using the dsp_deemph version, because I play MP3 sometimes ...  :)

Reply #128
Any chance of FB V2.x  32/64 compliant versions? (please)

Reply #129
Until we get a proper compile fromlvqcl I got a friend to do this plain x64 compile with no alterations done. 

Reply #130
Could foo_deemph be made to read 'FLAGS PRE' that already exist in my EAC/Cueripper cue sheets. I ask because I don't believe it is possible for foobar to read 'PRE-EMPHASIS' tag from an external cue sheet, eg, 'REM PRE_EMPHASIS yes'.

I also think it would be great if de-emphasis turned on automatically for tracks with PRE flag set in cuesheet. Would this be difficult to implement?
Is the main issue for the implementation of flag based auto de-emphasis that components cannot easily (or at all) read per-track FLAGS in cuesheet?

Reply #131
it would be great if de-emphasis turned on automatically for tracks with PRE flag set in cuesheet. Would this be difficult to implement?
foo_external_tags may help you here:
  • Open cue of an album with pre-emphasis in foobar2000.
  • Select all its tracks - right click - Tagging - Edit External Tags.
  • Click on "+ add new" in the opened window, call new tag PRE-EMPHASIS, set its value to 1.
Magically yours
Raistlin

Reply #132
Hello,

Sorry if my question may sound simplistic...

After having read the whole thread I'm still unable to figure out if it is possible, with this foobar component to directly rip a CD to de-emphasized files (wav or others).

If yes, what would be the exact procedure ?

Thanks !

Reply #133
I don't even know if foobar2000 can detect pre-emphasis flags in a CD at all? (CUERipper - part of CUETools - can check for de-emphasis both in the CD's TOC and in the subcode.)

But even if you can, do not. There are CDs with inaccurate pre-emphasis flags, so better keep an unprocessed file.
(Also, if you keep a rip as it is, you can later retro-verify AccurateRip and possibly even repair the rip with CUETools.)

Reply #134
Tx.

In fact I have 1 CD that's confirmed with emphasis : Pet Shop Boys - Please.
I counter checked it with EAC and, yes, it says the same.

So, I had to process it.

What I did :
- rip it to wav with Foobar
- edit the properties of each single wav file to add the "PRE-EMPHASIS" tag and value "1"
- convert it to wav again with Foobar
This should, I think, have de-emphasized the files.

I then analyzed the frequencies with Audacity.
The same 16khz sample :
- was at -51dB
- is now at -62dB
So...if I correctly understand it looks like it did what I was expecting.

Reply #135
You don't have to convert the files - presuming you use fb2k as player. If a file has the tag, then the relevant component will apply the EQ upon playback.

Another thing - anyone?
lvqcl licensed out foo_deemph with "Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute" [provided the notice is kept], so I presume it is OK to make a proper recompile for both 32-bit and 64-bit use . (And submit it to the official component list, for that matter.)

Reply #136
It is still unclear to me....so
- is it possible to directly rip and remove the pre-emphasis ?
- if not, I still have to rip the file and then add the pre-emphasis tag
- and then ? How can I get a file without pre-emphasis without re-converting it ?

Reply #137
I don't know how.

Yeah, but adding a tag to a number of files - if you know which ones! - that isn't much job.

- and then ? How can I get a file without pre-emphasis without re-converting it ?
Once you have the component installed and the file tagged, the component will do the de-emphasis upon playback.
Imagine that you have a good old-fashioned equalizer in your bookshelf, and then indicators saying "to do de-emphasis, set sliders as indicated". The component does that for you.

Reply #138
Understood.

But I don't want to listen to a de-emphasized file.
I want to create a de-emphasized file I will then use on my home systems.

Reply #139
Personally I rip the disc, keeping it and the CUE sheet containing the PRE codes, then use sox to create a de-emphasized version that I use for playing. I do the same for HDCD discs as I like to have a copy of the originals.

More information can be found here.

Reply #140
Thank you.
I used Sox successfully.

Reply #141
Greetings to all!

This is my first post, I just joined the forum.

The de-emphasis used to work fine for me in foobar2000. I spent a lot of time with it today (half a day) reading forums, searching for official Foobar components, but nothing was there when I searched for the word "emphasis". I'm getting tired of it and have not found a solution.

Please help me, is there a during playback de-emphasis component for 64 bit Foobar 2.0 that automatically "fixes" e.g. mp3 files tagged "PRE_EMPHASIS" or "PRE-EMPHASIS" (not only lossless files)?

Why am I looking for it?
There is a lot of good music from the 80s, most of which cannot be obtained in good quality lossless format. Even if I buy a CD, I can't be sure that it will have the best mastered version. There is a Dynamic Range database ( https://dr.loudness-war.info/ ), but it doesn't have everything. However, in most cases I can download hundreds of lossy files from a single piece of music and pre-filter some of them quickly with MasVis ( https://www.lts.a.se/ljudteknik/masvis/ ). I delete dynamically compressed files. Then I listen to the rest to decide which are the best. In most cases, good quality LAME-encoded 256-320 kbit/s files with good dynamics can be found, while lossless, barely available with good dynamics. My experience is that, in terms of sound quality, it usually matters more what the master is than whether the file is lossless. Some of the files were clearly audibly (and visibly from the frequency response) recorded with pre-emhasis. I would like to play these files correctly with de-emphasis.

Please help me. Thank you very much!

So far I have picked out about 200 tracks from about 32GB of data in this way and the result is very good. It's time consuming, so I thought about automating it. Maybe some kind of artificial intelligence solution could be an option. Rarely (just as a curiosity) I load MP3 files into EncSpot to see what has been encoded with what. ( https://www.rarewares.org/rrw/encspot.php ) Sometimes an MPC, OGG, or WMA file will sound best.

Reply #142
... However, in most cases I can download hundreds of lossy files from a single piece of music and pre-filter some of them quickly with MasVis ( https://www.lts.a.se/ljudteknik/masvis/ )...
11 security vendors and no sandboxes flagged this file as malicious ~ https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/c3469b820b56a3e7b98451732a88ce4d8a107ebadd020420ba33418a599b2843
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?  ;~)

Reply #143
is there a during playback de-emphasis component for 64 bit Foobar 2.0 that automatically "fixes" e.g. mp3 files tagged "PRE_EMPHASIS" or "PRE-EMPHASIS" (not only lossless files)?
No. It doesn't work on-the-fly for mp3 (checked in fb2k 1.6.16). However you may convert the pre-emph'ed mp3 to de-emph'ed wav and play the latter.

11 security vendors and no sandboxes flagged this file as malicious
False positive.
Magically yours
Raistlin

Reply #144
In regards to CD De-emphasis:

You may be interested in this video by Gary Galo.

RED-BOOK DE-EMPHASIS USING THE IZOTOPE RX EQ MODULE presented by Gary Galo

youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=WL2t0X8Mb-w

He suggests F = 5780 Hz, Gain = -5.2 dB, Q = 0.5, for his de-emphasis parameters.

Using foo_dsp_effect 0.50 beta 7: IIR Filter, I added these parameters to the High shelf filter option and converted a known pre-emphasis CD. I have no idea whether these parameters match what Gary Galo is doing since I don't know the inner workings of foo_effect_dsp. I just listened to and compared replay gain data in Foobar2000 between this and the default CD De-emphasis filter for fun. I think Gary Galo had his filter going from 1 Hz to 100 kHz.

I have no expertise in this area but maybe someone would like to investigate this.

Thanks
SHM-CD

Reply #145
I took a look into the IIR Filter: CD De-emphasis (RIAA_CD) settings of foo_dsp_effect.

if (filter_type == RIAA_CD)
   {
      //thanks to lvqcl for coeffs
      switch (samplerate)
      {
      case 44100:
         pf_gain = -9.465;
         pf_qfact = 0.4850;
         pf_freq = 5277;
         break;

I put these values into the High-shelf filter of foo_dsp_effect to check that they produced the same results as the default "CD De-emphasis" filter after converting a known pre-emphasis CD. The results were exactly the same when looking at replay gain data.

I noticed that Gary Galo's gain parameter was for the "mid Gain = -5.2 dB" at 5780 Hz. I decided to change the gain to -10.4 dB to match what I believe the High-shelf filter is asking for with this program. The results were very close to the default "CD De-emphasis" filter, again using just replay gain data. This was done just for fun without graphing any results. So the final settings to replicate Gary Galo's parameters in foo_dsp_effect: High-shelf filter are:

F = 5780 Hz, Gain = -10.4 dB, Q = 0.5

Maybe someone can check to see if this is actually correct and giving good results.

My test CD was: Bob James & Earl Klugh - One on One (rec 1979, CD year = 1983, CBS/Sony, 35DP 10, Japan)
Matrix (1983 CD): 35DP-10 81A2
or use Matrix (October 1982): 35DP-10-2 1B1

Thanks
SHM-CD

Reply #146
I just watched Gary Galo's updated video presentation from October 19, 2022 below:

Red-Book De-Emphasis Using the iZotope RX EQ Module, Presented by Gary Galo

youtube.com/watch?v=pSjvVNz4Rlk

His final CD De-emphasis settings calculated using mathematics are:

1) math calculation: F = 5811.52 Hz, mid Gain = -5.23 dB, Q = 0.5
accuracy: +/- 0.015 dB, 20 Hz - 20 kHz.

2) simulation results: F = 5780 Hz, mid Gain = -5.2 dB, Q = 0.5
accuracy: +/- 0.025 dB, 20 Hz - 20 kHz.

In foo_dsp_effect / IIR Filter / High-shelf filter, I believe you enter the "full gain" as below:

1) math calculation: F = 5811.52 Hz, mid Gain = -10.46 dB, Q = 0.500

2) simulation results: F = 5780 Hz, mid Gain = -10.4 dB, Q = 0.500

Thanks
SHM-CD

Reply #147
In foo_dsp_effect / IIR Filter / High-shelf filter, I believe you enter the "full gain" as below:

1) math calculation: F = 5811.52 Hz, Gain = -10.46 dB, Q = 0.500

2) simulation results: F = 5780 Hz, Gain = -10.4 dB, Q = 0.500

Could not edit previous post, Thanks
SHM-CD