Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foobar id3v2 ->replaygain deletes tags! (Read 7498 times) previous topic - next topic

foobar id3v2 ->replaygain deletes tags!

How can I get around this severe error in foobar?

I recently replaygained files with foobar and -GOSH- what was that?

All ID3V2 Tags were gone. Foobar just deleted them.
What happened?
Why is that and how can I get around this servere error in foobar?

Thanks,
TAS

Reply #1
Do you have ID3v2 reading and writing enabled in foobar2000? How did you notice the tags vanished? Did they disappear in your playlist view, or did you notice it in another application?

Reply #2
mhh, I'm confused now.

Tag&Rename (2.1.7) shows me no ID3v2 Tags after replaygain
MP3TAG V2.2.3 & The GodFather 0.65 do.

MP3TAG says APEv2 (ID3v1 ID3v2 APEv2)

The strange thing is - when i retag ID3v2 with Tag&Rename, then it can read the ID3v2 tags.
Foobar sees the replaygain info at all times.
Maybe it's a unicode character set written by foobar? that's not recognised by this older version of Tag&Rename.

thanks fpr taking time to answer!
TAS

Reply #3
MP3TAG says APEv2 (ID3v1 ID3v2 APEv2)
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=243613"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sounds like you have foobar set to write apev2 tags instead of id3v2 tags in the preferences - and it did exactly what has been set there. Better check your facts a bit more careful in the future before jumping to early conclusions.

- Lyx
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

Reply #4
Plus, without foo_id3v2 installed, removal of stale ID3v2 tags is not automatic, you must enable it.

Reply #5
Plus, without foo_id3v2 installed, removal of stale ID3v2 tags is not automatic, you must enable it.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=243693"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well I haven't set any specific option and I haven't been asked if I want to delete ID3v2 tags either.

My simple steps:
1. downloaded foobar complete pack and installed it.
2. Replaygained my MP3 files and then foobar changed ID3v2 so that they became unreadable by Tag&Rename.

Thanks to "GodFather"  which was able to recover the tags.

thanks for your help.

Perhaps you should tell people about foobar's strange behaviour.

Reply #6
If you had used an installer which came with foo_id3v2, there would no longer be any ID3v2 tags. Sure, you could install it and configure it to create new ID3v2 tags from the information in the database, but there would be no way to recover the original ID3v2 tag blocks. Basically, you get to keep the text tags foo_id3v2 supports reading, and lose all the binary data it refuses to read, such as bitmaps.

Reply #7
Problem with ID3 tags: after processing of mp3 files in 'MP3Gain', tags are invisible for foobar2k.

They are visible in other programs (WinAmp, mp3tag, mp3 Tag Tools).

Why?

Reply #8
Problem with ID3 tags: after processing of mp3 files in 'MP3Gain', tags are invisible for foobar2k.

They are visible in other programs (WinAmp, mp3tag, mp3 Tag Tools).

Why?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=285987"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Its a known issue.  MP3gain uses APEv2 tags.  If you had ID3v2 tags when you used it, you now have APEV2 and ID3v2.  foobar always assumes that APEv2 is the correct tag type if you have both, so it doesn't read your APEv2 tags.

The solution is to not have multiple tag types on one file.  The easiest way to do this is to remove any MP3gain info, and use replaygain in foobar instead.

FWIW I believe mp3gain is being updated to not add blank APEv2 tags and foobar to allow you to set which tag type to read if you do have blank tags.

Reply #9
My problem is vaguely similar to the topic.

I've ripped my CD collection with EAC and LAME 3.96.1.  EAC is writing ID3v1.0 and ID3v2.3.0 tags to them.  I installed the 'special' version of Foobar v0.8.3 with the ID3v2 component enabled.  The standard inputs preference is set to write ID3 v1 and v2 tags.

After that, they all worked perfectly in Foobar.

I then scanned everything for replaygain info, as multiple albums.  Foobar now reports many of these having out of sync streams on the very last frame.

On further inspection, the v2 tags have been slightly broken.  The 'comments' have all been changed to "COMMENT:" and the genre tags have all been removed.

When removing the replaygain info, the tracks still get reported as going out of sync when Foobar plays the final frames.

The number of samples is still identical between the corresponding CD tracks and MP3s.

Any ideas?  I can reproduce this consistently.  I figure this can't be extremely uncommon, it's not like I have some bizzare set up.  Since I'm apparently not losing actual music, it's not critical, but it's still kind of annoying.  I'd prefer to not have to hide the console, so that I can catch genuinely broken MP3s a little easier.

Thank you.

Reply #10
It complains about the last frame?  Are you sure you're using ID3v2 and not APEv2?  ID3v2 should be stored in the first frame (or before it anyway), while APEv2 would be in the last frame.

Reply #11
It complains about the last frame?  Are you sure you're using ID3v2 and not APEv2?  ID3v2 should be stored in the first frame (or before it anyway), while APEv2 would be in the last frame.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=287320"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
It complains about the last frame ... and I'm pretty sure that APEv2 is never ever used.  EAC/LAME don't use it.  Foobar is definitely set for ID3v1 and ID3v2.  If I run this 'testmp3.exe' tool on a broken track, this is what I get:
Code: [Select]
C:\MP3s\Albums\808 State - 1991 - ex-el>testmp3 "05 - Nephatiti.mp3"
"05 - Nephatiti.mp3"
ID3: TIT2:☺ ■Nephatiti/TPE1:☺ ■808 State/TALB:☺ ■ex:el/TYER:1991/TRCK:☺ ■05/13/
OMM:☺ ■Track 5/TCON:☺ ■Electronic/TENC:☺ ■Exact Audio Copy   (Secure mode)/TSSE
☺ ■LAME v3.96.1/TRCK:☺ ■5/TXXX:☺ ■replaygain_track_gain ■+1.25 dB/TXXX:☺ ■repla
gain_track_peak ■0.805132/TXXX:☺ ■replaygain_album_gain ■-0.07 dB/TXXX:☺ ■repla
gain_album_peak ■1.001355/
Incorrect ID3 header length
Frame sync lost at 005D5004    124 bytes from end
65 70 68 61 74 69 74 69 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00     ephatiti∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 38 30 38     ∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙808
20 53 74 61 74 65 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00      State∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 65 78 3A 65 6C     ∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙ex:el

Hmmm.  For reference, the same track before replaygain info ever touches it:
Code: [Select]
C:\MP3s\Extracted\808 State - 1991 - ex-el>testmp3 "05 - Nephatiti.mp3"
"05 - Nephatiti.mp3"
ID3: TIT2:Nephatiti/TPE1:808 State/TALB:ex:el/TYER:1991/TRCK:05/13/COMM:engTrack
5/TCON:Electronic/TENC:Exact Audio Copy   (Secure mode)/
Incorrect ID3 header length
TAG:Nephatiti/808 State/ex:el/1991/TAGNephatiti/808 State/ex:el/1991Track 5/4

Again, I don't really know how to interpret this.  It appears that the tags are slightly already messed up immediately after EAC and LAME are done with the songs.

Reply #12
*smacks head*

EAC was still set to write ID3 tags, on top of the ones LAME was creating with the parameters passed to it.

Now the question is whether I re-rip my collection or not.  I should probably switch from LAME 3.96.1 to 3.90.3, and I want to archive my damaged CDs in FLAC anyway.

Reply #13
I have recently seen MP3 files with normal ID3v2 tags and with replaygain info written in APEv2 tag. foobar2000 does not read ID3v2 in such files, cos it detects APEv2 presence with only replaygain info in it. That's the reason why tags seam dissapeared.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

BTW, good way to solve this problem is:
tag --removeid3v2 --force id3v1 --force ape2 *.mp3

Reply #14
MP3Tag can't read UTF ID3 tags, which is what Foobar writes. The tags are still there, it's just MP3Tag can't see them. Tick the "Always write ISO-8859-1 tags" box in the ID3v2 preferences.
</signature>

Reply #15
This is happening to me too.  When I scan a file for replay gain, that file losses the id3v2 tag.

I recheck the file info in winamp to confirm if the the tag disappeared and it did. I restored the id3v2 tag by copying from id3v1 using winamp, replay gained again, id3v2 tag erased again.

edit : confirmed with mp3tag - after replay gain
id3v1 (id3v1 apev2)

before mp3tag read it as id3v2 (id3v1 id3v2 apev2)

solution : take out foo_id3v2 - now everything works as it should

foobar2K rules

Reply #16
This is happening to me too.  When I scan a file for replay gain, that file losses the id3v2 tag.

I recheck the file info in winamp to confirm if the the tag disappeared and it did. I restored the id3v2 tag by copying from id3v1 using winamp, replay gained again, id3v2 tag erased again.

id3v1 (id3v1 apev2)

foobar2K rules
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=289398"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If you take out foo_id3v2, it'll absolutely remove any ID3v2 tags you have.  If you want to keep them, install the id3v2 componet and set foobar to write ID3v2 tags.  That way it won't convert them to APEv2 tags.

Reply #17

id3v1 (id3v1 apev2)

foobar2K rules
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=289398"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If you take out foo_id3v2, it'll absolutely remove any ID3v2 tags you have.  If you want to keep them, install the id3v2 componet and set foobar to write ID3v2 tags.  That way it won't convert them to APEv2 tags.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=289455"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Actually, my id3v2 tags remain intact when I took the plugin out.  I can now safely apply replaygain without fear that my id3v2 tags will be affected. 

And usually I use mp3tag to fix my tags though the masstagger plugin is very good. Well anyway, I just officially shifted from winamp to foobar only today, so Im still trying to tweak it out.

edit: reinstalled the id3v2 plugin, found some settings in input to write id3v1 and id3v2.  Well it seems in some files, the artist where written in kanji suddenly became jibberish.  But anyway now at least i dont get my id3v2 tags deleted  Anyway this is an isolated incident since some of my other files have kanji in their tags.  Anyway, I'l just have to backup first before using anything that may alter the tags. Just to be safe

Reply #18
AFAIK if you do not have the ID3v2 plugin installed, foobar will remove all ID3v2 tags on update.

Reply #19
AFAIK if you do not have the ID3v2 plugin installed, foobar will remove all ID3v2 tags on update.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=289853"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Not true.

In case you do not have foo_id3v2 installed fb2k will not to anything to your id3v2 tags except if you tick the "remove id3v2" tags option in the standard input preferences

Reply #20
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=289853"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Not true.

In case you do not have foo_id3v2 installed fb2k will not to anything to your id3v2 tags except if you tick the "remove id3v2" tags option in the standard input preferences
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=289871"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I thought all tags are always removed on update, then new tags are written.  Or without the plugin does foobar consider ID3v2 as part of the stream?