Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: BPM tag with Flac (Read 3618 times) previous topic - next topic

BPM tag with Flac

Hello.

I'm currently encoding my cd-collection to Flac. Flac-files will be used as a music archive. I will later encode all flacs with Lame to mp3 as mp3 is the only format supported by dj-softwares.

The BPM (beats per minute) information is very important for me. Much more important than some basic tags like Track number or Comment. Thank God Id3v2 specifications include a standard Bpm tag (TBPM).

Now I want to include this Bpm information in the tags of my flac files and later encode flacs to mp3s without loosing this important information. Or having to re-enter it to every track. This has been much more difficalt that I excepted! Has anyone else used these kinds of new tags with Flacs and succesfully translated them to other formats? How?

Should I forget about including Bpm info in the tags of flac files and include it in the file name? From the file names it would be quite easy to later add the Bpm's to tags.

Or should I use Id3v2 tags with flac files instead of standard flac tags? What are the risks?

Or is there a method or software to encode flacs to lame-mps and translate a flac tag called "Bpm" to standard id3v2 TBPM-tag?

BPM tag with Flac

Reply #1
Frontah will translate ID3v2-TBPM <=> "BPM" tag for flac tags.

Foobar2000 can do this as well.

BPM tag with Flac

Reply #2
Thanks! Two more questions.

Question 1: What command line to use with EAC to add also Bpm tags to Flac.

Standard doesn't do that:
-T "artist=%a" -T "title=%t" -T "album=%g" -T "date=%y" -T "tracknumber=%n" -T "genre=%m" %s
I quess this could be the right one:
-T "artist=%a" -T "title=%t" -T "album=%g" -T "date=%y" -T "tracknumber=%n" -T "genre=%m"  -T "bpm=&b" %s

Where would EAC get the value for variable b as there is no input fields for these advanced tags in EAC user interface? Or is there a shortcut or menu in EAC to specify advanced tags or user specific tags?

Question 2: Which tag editor program is the best in adding new tags fo Flac. I would need an editor to add these Bpm tags to the files that donät yet have it. I don't want to use editors that could mess the tags by for example including also id3 tags to flac tags. It looks like many tag editors don't support flac tags or they support only standard tags (artist, title, genre, comment,...).