Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Banned e-mail addresses (Read 7775 times) previous topic - next topic

Banned e-mail addresses

I am sure you get a decent ammount of posts about this, and I would like to comment on it.

A couple weeks ago I went and tried to sign up for this website. They wouldent let me use my gmail account. I dont have an e-mail address from my ISP. (My parents do, who pay for the connection, but not me). A couple weeks later I decided to try and get my own @rogers.com account, just for this site. It didnt work, but for some reason it wouldent let me make a new account. I decided to just use my parents e-mail to sign up for the site.

Now I want to subscribe to a topic (have any new posts e-mailed to me) but I cant, since it would be sent to my parents e-mail and would annoy them. I tried to change the e-mail of this account back to my gmail account but it still wouldent let me.

I know you guys need to keep spammers out, but I go on alot of forum sites and spam is VERY rare, but when do you draw the line between no spam and user conveinance?

Atleast let us, after we confirmed our account with an ISP e-mail, change to another e-mail.

You can still ban the spammers ISP e-mails so they dont join again. That will effectivily keep them out, wont it?

Thanks for reading my rant, and to the admins, hopefully considering what I said
And if you believe theres not a chance to die...

Banned e-mail addresses

Reply #1
I suppose a better way to keep spammers away is to impose a wait period between the the time you register and the time you can start posting, like doom9 does.

Banned e-mail addresses

Reply #2
Are spamgourmet.com addresses blocked?  I doubt it.  Set up a spamgourmet.com address which forwards to your gmail account.  Make the hydrogenaudio.org emails "trusted" so it doesn't increment the email count and start eating them.

Banned e-mail addresses

Reply #3
I suppose a better way to keep spammers away is to impose a wait period between the the time you register and the time you can start posting, like doom9 does.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=347471"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ive seen that work quite well on some other sites, though I still think blocking non ISP e-mails at first then after confirmation letting you change is the best way to go. (But then again, ive never ran any forums, so I can only guess what would work, and suggest)

Are spamgourmet.com addresses blocked? I doubt it. Set up a spamgourmet.com address which forwards to your gmail account. Make the hydrogenaudio.org emails "trusted" so it doesn't increment the email count and start eating them.

Ill try that, thanks
And if you believe theres not a chance to die...

Banned e-mail addresses

Reply #4
There are quite a few free webmails that allow you to register for forums;  try a goole search.

Banned e-mail addresses

Reply #5
Why not allowing change to, for example, gmail, if somebody is registered for a long time and clearly joins the discussions?

Banned e-mail addresses

Reply #6
Here's me clearly joining a discussion.

Banned e-mail addresses

Reply #7
I'm for it too. I registered much later than I would have otherwise because of this filtering, and by now I'm no longer on that ISP, so I can't email features. Free web addresses are much more steady than ISP addresses.

Banned e-mail addresses

Reply #8
[copy and paste sheh text]

I want to use my Yahoo acount to receive e-mails warning me about replies to topics I posted. I can't live in a forum w/o that! Right now I have to open TWO e-mails acounts! -_-

Why not let the user change the defaut e-mail adress after registration? I don't see a reason for that! And even the initial restrition isn't so good, I'm much more for rjamorim proposal. It is too incovenient for new user.

Anyway, thanks for this great forum and I hope that I can freely change my e-mail adress sometime soon...

Banned e-mail addresses

Reply #9
I had to use my ISP address to join, but then changed it to my Gmail one and it works fine.
Acid8000 aka. PhilDEE

Banned e-mail addresses

Reply #10
I posted about this awhile back too. It would be nice to be allowed to change after a certain amount of time. I dont think any spammers would wait many months after joining just to change their email addresses so they can spam.

Banned e-mail addresses

Reply #11
Even worse for me, my ISP (@orcon.net.nz) address was banned too, because they offer free email. I had to sign up using a friend's ISP email. I assumed I would be able to change it to my orcon address after confirming, but can't. It really annoys me and seems entirely unnecessary.

Edit: didn't mean to quote that text

Banned e-mail addresses

Reply #12
No news on this? I still want to change my e-mail adress.... and I still don't understand why it is prohibited...

Banned e-mail addresses

Reply #13
No news on this? I still want to change my e-mail adress.... and I still don't understand why it is prohibited...
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=363612"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

PM me your new address and i'll change it.

Banned e-mail addresses

Reply #14
spamgourmet.com or ipoo.org

Banned e-mail addresses

Reply #15
PM'd.

But why it is prohibited?

HA could mantain a database with the historic of all the used e-mail adresses from its users. I think that people don't change e-mail adresses often, so the database in one year shoud be smaller than the size of this reclamation topic, if size is a issue.

This would solve the problem with change e-mail adresses after registration?

Banned e-mail addresses

Reply #16
The won't be any functionality changes in the forum software until it is upgraded to the latest IPB version, and we can upgrade all current custom patches to bring functionality to current level again, which probably wont happen until this summer.

Banned e-mail addresses

Reply #17
it seems a little retarded that gmail and some isp's are banned, but disposables are not.

i wonder if t-shirt hell addresses are banned.  i could have signed up as supertoad@ieatbabiesforfun.com

Banned e-mail addresses

Reply #18
We can't ban every free/disposable email in existence, but we can surely ban the most abused ones. Spammers tend to give up if pain >> gain.

Banned e-mail addresses

Reply #19
I had luck. When I registered I could use my GMail Account otherwise I had never could register, because I have no other emailadresses than google, web.de and gmx.

I don't understand how you can prevent spammers with this in my opinion stupid measure. Can you please explain me this?
I think you prevent a lot of user from participating in this community.

Banned e-mail addresses

Reply #20
My ISP is Free (french provider). I use one adress for all forums.

Unfortunately, @free.fr is banned. And I don't want to create an account expecially for this forum.

And like "xequence", if I want to subscribe topics, I can't. Why Free.fr is blocked ?