Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Question regarding Apple Lossless (ALAC) on iPod Classic? (Read 11397 times) previous topic - next topic

Question regarding Apple Lossless (ALAC) on iPod Classic?

I am planning to get an iPod Classic soon, and I also plan to use Apple Lossless on the device for some artists/albums. However, I have been hearing about problems like tracks skipping, and the device going crazy if the files are not encoded in iTunes.

I have been encoding my files in dbPoweramp. Should I re-encode these in iTunes (using the 'Create Apple Lossless version' option) even though it is creating the same file? (lossless so no quality loss whatsoever)

Also, what should I do regarding skipping? Should the aforementioned creation of Apple Lossless files in iTunes instead of dbPoweramp stop it from skipping or not? Also, has new firmware been released to fix all of this so that I don't have to worry about it?

I don't want to buy the iPod and then have to worry about the tracks skipping or messing up the device just because it is Apple Lossless. I already know about the battery life reduction, but since I am also going to be using a lot of lossy as well (HQ lossy) I figured that it wouldn't be significant enough to warrant encoding absolutely everything in lossy for the sake of saving a few hours of battery life.

All help appreciated.

Reply #1
The cache on the iPod Classic is 64mb.  Keep in mind that you are always playing music from the cache, not from the HD itself, so if your song runs over 64mb, the HD has to spin up again and the cache is "reloaded".  So, it could skip or at the very least have a lag.

64mb Lossless files are not uncommon either.

One thing to remember is that not only battery life, but also HD life, will suffer.

Reply #2
Just use MP3 instead. Use 320 Kbps LAME if you are that worried about quality. I've never heard my iPod classic skip once. I have the old 160 GB model that they don't make anymore.

Reply #3
The only problems I have heard of were due to incomplete reverse engineering of the ALAC codec. This should all be pretty much solved by now in the case of dbpoweramp. The original Apple encoders never produced any problem.

Reply #4
Just use MP3 instead.

We had that (EDIT: useless) discussion a month ago.

Frankly, I don't understand the need to start a new thread for this one. 

Reply #5
Just use MP3 instead.

We had that (EDIT: useless) discussion a month ago.

Frankly, I don't understand the need to start a new thread for this one. 

I asked the question regarding whether or not the ALAC tracks will skip or not, and not whether I'm going to use them, because as you've already established, I am. I just want to know if I will encounter any problems using ALAC, that's all.

Reply #6
It was a simple-enough question that could have been asked in that discussion instead of starting a new one, that's all.

Thread closed.