Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: help with Plextor set-up,, please (Read 4256 times) previous topic - next topic

help with Plextor set-up,, please

Just got a good deal ( I think) on a PlexWriter 24/10/40A- best I could do on my budget. Just wanted to be sure about a couple of things: The Plextools that come with it  (haven't installed these yet) seem mostly repeats of what already have in EAC/Nero/CDex, etc. Will they conflict with the other programs? I noticed they also offer Real Player- no thanks- I don't need to install that, to install the rest, do I?
Also- okay to add another analog line to soundcard- see now has only one from dvd-rom. Sorry to say it's a SB Live with digital output- it has extra analog in- just want to be sure it's okay to do it. Next purchase - I hope- new sound card.
Thanks for any help- you guys are way over my head, at times (lot of times), but I read everything, in the hope some will sink in- this site is the best. Sorry I can't contribute more, knowledge wise. Thanks again for any help- cadabra3 :confused:

Reply #1
Originally posted by cadabra3
The Plextools that come with it  (haven't installed these yet) seem mostly repeats of what already have in EAC/Nero/CDex, etc. Will they conflict with the other programs?

No, it won't conflict. But it's not necessary to install it or any other programs from CDs, so if you think you won't need it there's no need to install. It offers nothing you couldn't do with the programs you mentioned.
okay to add another analog line to soundcard- see now has only one from dvd-rom.

If your sound card has digital spdif connector use it instead, no need to increase hiss by using analog. If you have WDM drivers for your card you could do without any cable by enabling digital cd-playback from Windows config.

Reply #2
Thanks for the help. I'll probably install the Plextor Manager 2000 but leave it off at boot-up (and add nothing else like Roxio products!) I do have a SPDIF input- wondered why it wasn't used to begin with- then remembered made the mistake of buying from Gateway (first computer). Everything but the motherboard and soundcard now replaced. While I get a different answer any time I call them- they basically say they don't support this type of cable/connection- but can't say why! I've learned rather quickly not to believe 95% of what they say. So, with a SPDIF connection, true digital then? I'd be more than happy to disconnect the dvd-rom I have, from the soundcard (analog) and use a SPDIF cable for the burner if you think it's the best way to go.  Anyway- thanks for the info- appreciate the help- cadabra3
p.s. Now if I can just learn everything there is to know about EAC and every other piece of info I need to know! 

Reply #3
You mentioned using the device manager to enable digital playback- already done ( I hope). But to use Burner's headphone jack- can only use CDex, for example- since soundcard not involved. So, I could switch analog from dvd-rom to soundcard, to burner to soundcard? Using SPDIF would be better ( I get that part, I think), and playback would always be from burner then? Discovered only one cd-rom in on soundcard and one SPDIF also. But Adaptec says don't use both. Don't really care if can't use dvd-rom for playback with speakers (digital out from soundcard) but this would now allow me to use headphone jack on burner all the time? Sorry for the confusion and dumb questions- don't mean to be repetitious. Thanks for any help- cadabra3

Reply #4
Originally posted by cadabra3
Using SPDIF would be better ( I get that part, I think), and playback would always be from burner then? Discovered only one cd-rom in on soundcard and one SPDIF also. But Adaptec says don't use both.

You can use safely both, it really won't do any harm. Only "problem" you'll have is hissing sound that comes from analog connectors. Both sources will be audible when sound card mixer has both enabled so you can use both drives for playback. But if you selected the digital playback from device manager you don't need the cables at all, you can test if it works by muting inputs on soundcard and see if you can still hear audio from cd.
Don't really care if can't use dvd-rom for playback with speakers (digital out from soundcard) but this would now allow me to use headphone jack on burner all the time?

I'm not sure I understand your consern, you can use the headphone jack on all drives regardless of your playback settings.

Reply #5
I think I'll regroup and let my brain catch up to my ability to ask questions before I think them through. I get what you're saying, and appreciate the help. Thanks for the info on the SPDIF input- company made it sound like I'd melt down the whole system. Already appreciating the huge difference between the piece of junk cd-rw that was the original and the Plextor  I replaced it with- like a Yugo and a BMW! Thanks again- sorry for the slow learning curve- cadabra3  :listening