Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: With --replay-gain command vs. without (Read 2978 times) previous topic - next topic

With --replay-gain command vs. without

I noticed today that EAC's rips to FLAC are slightly different sizes depending on whether I used the --replay-gain command.

For instance, with --replay-gain, this one version of Last Kiss by Pearl Jam is 24,416,415 bytes whereas without it is 24,416,267 bytes.  After updating the Replay Gain tags with foobar2000, as far as I can tell, everything else is identical.

My questions are: one, is it normal for the file sizes to be slightly different?  And two, is one way preferred over another?  If so, what is it?

Thanks a ton for your help!

Reply #1
If you know what replaygain is  (if not, you risk getting slapped for using a setting you don't know what it does), you should know that it needs to store several values.
Now, if you know that those values are written as text, that there are four, and that they are written in VorbisComment (IIRC!), you would understand why the different in size is around a hundred bytes.

Reply #2
Thank you for the quick response!

Let me first apologize for being dense; I just want to clarify and make sure I understand this correctly.  The file size difference persists after I used foobar2000 to apply Replay Gain tags to both versions of the file even though the Replay Gain tags are identical.  (This might not have been made clear in the previous post.)  Does that mean there is a particular way flac.exe generates Replay Gain tags that carries over even after those tags are overwritten by foobar2000 to account for the slight size difference?

Thanks again!

Reply #3
flac.exe --explain:

--replay-gain
...NOTE: this option may also leave a few extra bytes in the PADDING block.

So this can be the reason for filesize difference.

Reply #4
I was referring to using flac.exe as the external compressor under EAC.

The extra padding block sounds reasonable.

Thanks again!