Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Well happy birthday HA (Read 5943 times) previous topic - next topic

Well happy birthday HA

🥂

Re: Well happy birthday HA

Reply #1
Yeah, I decided to put that logo up a bit early. The 20th birthday is coming up next month or so. Or at least, the 20th anniversary of topic=1.

Hurray.

Reply #2
yeah, congrats!
it's really great that there is such a place on the Web.
a fan of AutoEq + Meier Crossfeed

Reply #3
OMG - time passes by so quickly... I'm growing old...
.halverhahn

Reply #4
HA is also growing old. It is even a month or a few older than FLAC and BitTorrent and iTunes. 
Just a bit younger than SACD, DVD-audio, Ogg Vorbis and Napster.

Reply #5
Will you be giving free HydrogenAudio Premium subscriptions?
JK :)
Happy anniversary, HA <3
Error 404; signature server not available.

Reply #6
There was once a need for subscriptions to allow donations to support hosting and such, but I don't think Spoon needs that right now? We've apparently moved hosts a few times, and transferred primary administrators a few times. I think that role falls on Spoon right now, or at least being the owner of the VPS it runs on.

Reply #7
Shocking how old I am! Already 19 years did pass ...
Hearty congratulations for 20 th anniversary!  8)

Still remember the disputes the HA founder Dibrom had with R3mix on LAME settings :))

Reply #8
Happy Birthday and thank you all.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?  ;~)

Reply #9
Woohoo! I vaguely remember this place being started by Dibrom (I think?).

Happy Birthday Hydrogen Audio.

Reply #10
Woohoo! I vaguely remember this place being started by Dibrom (I think?).

Happy Birthday Hydrogen Audio.

Yes. How is he doing now? Some years ago (many many years) he wanted to come to Freiburg/Germany and searched some advice for good beer. Long time ago!

Reply #11
Yes may I also say Happy Birthday

As we move in to 2021, We have LP sales at their highest since 1990, cassette tape sales increasing.
Yes, lets bring on the next 20 years.
Where we see the comeback of betamax, the minidisc & the SID chip.

Reply #12
Happy birthday HA!

Always nice to feel that, thanks mostly to you, I've picked the science-driven "right side of the force" and not the other way around - (cough) audiophools.
Listen to the music, not the media it's on.
União e reconstrução

Reply #13
I remember it like yesterday. Back then I was a young kid in university with interest in mp3 encoding and now I have a grown child of my own. I remember the arguments in r3mix's forum between him and Dibrom about tuning the LAME settings and how Dibrom decided to leave and create this forum and many of us following him. I also remember carrying out listening tests back then in order to find the LAME switches that gave the best quality at the smallest bitrate and the creation of the --alt-preset system. Funnily enough, my name is still in the LAME thanks for providing test samples back in the day.

So, all in all, Happy Birthday and let's hope for many years of objective research in audio technology.  

Reply #14
I remember the arguments in r3mix's forum between him and Dibrom about tuning the LAME settings and how Dibrom decided to leave and create this forum

Yeah, those were rows of almost biblical proportions! (or it might be my memory exacerbating things up)
:D
But Roel could be very adamant in his advocating of his own -r3mix settings (which in fairness, I was very grateful to for a while for having brought me from Radium codec and its 192Kbps CBR mode).

But I guess such now-legendary have helped mold HA's science-abiding precepts, such as TOS8 and what-not, haven't they?
União e reconstrução

Reply #15
Happy birthday HA.

Started with r3mix too. Somehow followed the trail here, learnt how audio ought to be done. Was a teenager then, whew.

Reply #16
I was going to mention the r3mix kerfuffle but that's been so long ago I thought I might not have been remembering correctly. Thank you to Dibrom for making Hydrogen Audio.

Reply #17
Personally, to summarize:

I started out looking at audio compression (home studio projects); then I found r3mix (with stuff like shorten and ALAC); next thing was realizing a bit late of a new forum HA and becoming a member; and, I think that's it. I started out a lossless audio brat, and I'm still a lossless audio brat :)

I'd like to personally thank the developers for their direct feedback and support, plus all the long-time members for their countless efforts.

And thank all of you HA members! Have a safe, enjoyable holiday season :)
"Something bothering you, Mister Spock?"

Reply #18
Happy Birthday HA!

I started out with the Xing MP3 encoder and was unhappy with the quality of resulting files.
That's when I stumbled upon r3mix and HA.

Here's wishing HA another 20 glorious years!

Reply #19
Yeah, I decided to put that logo up a bit early. The 20th birthday is coming up next month or so. Or at least, the 20th anniversary of topic=1.

Hurray.

Next year :p
¡Se habla español! Also available in purple and orange.

Reply #20
Oh crud, I already forgot the date was both September, and in 2001. Talk about brain fart.

Reply #22
Yeah, i was thinking of posting that the topic=1 was in september of 2001, but didn't want to be a party pooper in case it was some glitch throughout all the migrations.

Happy future birthday anyway

Reply #23
In a month's time it will be all right.
União e reconstrução

Reply #24
There was once a need for subscriptions to allow donations to support hosting and such, but I don't think Spoon needs that right now? We've apparently moved hosts a few times, and transferred primary administrators a few times. I think that role falls on Spoon right now, or at least being the owner of the VPS it runs on.

We are all good, technology has moved on in 20 years (cpu, memory, ssd, bandwidth), it is no longer much of a concern...that said the datacenter is emergency visit only because of Covid19, so could be a good 8 months (so 1 year + 8 months) before I can get in to do maintenance checks on the servers.