Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: strange sound disturbance while surfing sites (Read 4530 times) previous topic - next topic

strange sound disturbance while surfing sites

hi there.

i got a problem with my system. everytime i'm listening to my mp3s with foobar2k while surfing a website with graphics, the sound is cracking. i don't know if you know the sound but it's like someone would be messing around with the audio cable on your soundcard turning it around and producing weird sounds and cracks because the connection is nearly interrupted. i get the same sound while either the internet explorer or mozilla firebird load up a page with graphics on them (even the forums here produced the sound)

my system setup:
P4 2,66 HT
786mb ram
ASUS P4PE-X
ATi Radeon 9800Pro
Creative Labs Audigy 2

Windows XP professional SP1
DirectX 9.0b (4.09.0000.0902)
ctaud2k.dll 5.12.0001.0441 (soundblaste driver version)
catalyst 3.10

i'm using foobar2000 v.0.7.7 special installer
active DSPs are Volume Control, Equalizer, Resampler (SSRC), Convert stereo to 4 channels. i did try vanilla (only volume control) it happens nevertheless.

sample rates are set to 24bit 48khz (doesn't work in standard values as well)

(english is not my mother language so please excuse the errors)

Reply #1
i did some switching around and now i'm only receiving the sound if the output data format in the playback menu is set to 24bit or higher (16bit works now  )

any suggestions?

Reply #2
Did you try to switch your soundcard to another PCI slot?

Reply #3
yeah i did. it is not an IRQ problem.

any other ideas?

Reply #4
What output method do you use?

Reply #5
Same problem here. Using Directsound v2.0 for output but it doesn't make a difference when switching to other methods, or disabling hardware mixing (and restarting playback).

Reply #6
I used to have this problem about a year ago, it happened on all websites that used PHP. I don't know what caused it and I don't know what fixed it, but I haven't had the problem for a long time now.

Reply #7
hi there.

i got a problem with my system. everytime i'm listening to my mp3s with foobar2k while surfing a website with graphics, the sound is cracking. i don't know if you know the sound but it's like someone would be messing around with the audio cable on your soundcard turning it around and producing weird sounds and cracks because the connection is nearly interrupted. i get the same sound while either the internet explorer or mozilla firebird load up a page with graphics on them (even the forums here produced the sound)

my system setup:
P4 2,66 HT
786mb ram
ASUS P4PE-X
ATi Radeon 9800Pro
Creative Labs Audigy 2

Windows XP professional SP1
DirectX 9.0b (4.09.0000.0902)
ctaud2k.dll 5.12.0001.0441 (soundblaste driver version)
catalyst 3.10

i'm using foobar2000 v.0.7.7 special installer
active DSPs are Volume Control, Equalizer, Resampler (SSRC), Convert stereo to 4 channels. i did try vanilla (only volume control) it happens nevertheless.

sample rates are set to 24bit 48khz (doesn't work in standard values as well)

(english is not my mother language so please excuse the errors)

Sounds like a motherboard/chipset driver problem. Go to ASUS's site and make sure you have the latest chipset drivers for your motherboard.

I used to have a similar problem, but this was back in Windows 98 years ago, and it was because of a cheap video card/bad drivers. I'm running an Athlon 2GHz on an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe via nForce onboard audio with no sound problems whatsoever.

Reply #8
well i just reinstalled the whole system. newest drivers for everything but the problems persists. i'm going to try some pci latency tweaks and switching around with AGP modes (it happens while something is being displayed/loaded).

edit: it does of course not matter what output method i use

Reply #9
Hmm. Maybe it's a bit stupid, but I had a similar problem with my Aureal Vortex sound card.
And what was the problem? Line In connection. I just disabled it in mixer and everything was fine...

Reply #10
I had a similar problem until I disabled onboard RAID on my MSI KT3 Ultra with Audigy.

Reply #11
well i tried disabling the line in to no avail.
as my board does not have a raid controller onboard this can't be the problem too. i tried disabling every device in the bios and in windows and switched to every available PCI slot (even reinstalled without ACPI to get rid of possible IRQ sharing). it all didn't help.

Reply #12
Check creative site for updated driver. There were updates providing compatibility with hyperthreading technology. Also your graphic card driver is old. There are on the net Catalyst drivers version 3.9.

EDIT: Sorry, I made mistake with Catalyst version. I thought you have 3.1 version installed. Of course you hava latest available version.

Reply #13
just because a similar issue was discussed on irc last night, someone suggested checking the usb, he had seen problems like that with wireless net connections, and aparently also heard about problems with some printer drivers on usb printers (some bus polling/timing problem)