Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_sid (Read 97556 times) previous topic - next topic

foo_sid

Reply #75
The debugging information is only there to help you figure out why this isn't working between your different systems. It's not there for regular use. Once you find the problem, you should replace the installation with the version from the official components repository, which has no such debugging notices.
that wouldnt make the additional information useless :-)

so you're saying i need to replace that dll by hand? auto update will not do it?
that would answer my question above:
another question: will your "debug" version automaticly update if a newer version is available, or do i have to install the "official" version?

foo_sid

Reply #76
foo_sid version 1.22
It does go on to the next sidfile in the playlist according to the songlength database in portable mode.
However the seekbar and the ui regards every sid to be 3 minutes long.

foo_sid

Reply #77
If you added the files to your playlist after setting the database up, you'll need to manually force the player to reload the tags from the files to update the lengths. The decode process always loads the correct value from the database, if configured.

foo_sid

Reply #78
Ahh, I see
Removed them from library and added them again.
It works now!

foo_sid

Reply #79
Simply right clicking on the files and either opening properties and selecting "Reload info" from the Tools menu, or shift-right clicking and selecting "Reload info from file(s)" from the "Tagging" category would have worked.

foo_sid

Reply #80
1. The ability to switch sid chip model and clock speed - these options are found in most other sid players.

I know it's been five years, just wanted to say I'd like this feature too - there are some .SIDs that just don't sound right on certain chips. For instance, try C64Music\MUSICIANS\G\G-Fellow\Independent_God_Remix.sid - compare the .SID as played through foo_sid to the "R4" chip version at SOASC (link here) - particularly around the 1:30 mark. The foo_sid version sounds... not so good, to put it mildly  It's also noticeable in Rob Hubbard's Knuckledusters in places, though less annoying there.

Would really like to be able to do all my music playing through foobar, and if your plugin allowed me to switch the chipsets I'd be able to! 

foo_sid

Reply #81
I don't know where you live but I live in the USA, and PAL isn't the TV standard we use here. And since the foo_sid plugin was most likely made by not only someone from Europe, but someone who thinks that clearly thinks that "pal is the best" they didn't include an NTSC setting on the foo_sid plugin. I know my C64 sid songs and I can tell when the sid chip's clock oscilator isn't running at 60hz (NTSC) because the music I'm familiar with sounds like its playing off key. And I don't know if indeed the writer of this plugin intentionally left this feature off as if to say "you dumb americans and your dumb NTSC standard will not be supported by MY plugin!" or if he just forgot it as a mistake. Either way, someone needs to fix it. Now I don't know if it's open source, but someone really needs to find out just who made the plugin in question an inform them that they neglected this quite important feature.

foo_sid

Reply #82
someone really needs to find out just who made the plugin in question an inform them that they neglected this quite important feature.
I found him! In this, the second result for a built-in Google search for foo_sid. Your separate topic has been merged in accordingly.

foo_sid

Reply #83
SID files may specify whether they want NTSC or PAL speed. Be sure to check the file Properties dialog, under the Properties tab, for a clock_speed variable. If there is none, then the file does not specify which speed it is intended to play back with.

foo_sid

Reply #84
The new release of Foo_SID v1.24 has "slightly less annoying filtering defaults". Unfortunately that went in exchange for slightly more annoying clipping. Is there room to fine-tune this some more?
Please check uploaded examples for the most prominent example I found so far.

foo_sid

Reply #85
Nope, that's not clipping, that's a slow square wave pulsing. (Wait, I can hear some clipping, but that shouldn't be possible, it's not even hitting the integer limit on the main output. Maybe the stupid resampler needs an extra bit or two of headroom, in exchange for less precision. You know, since it's using an integer resampler now.)

I don't really want to install Java to test the latest Java player for the same bug, which seems like it would be the only way it would get reported and fixed, since Java crap is really all he's interested in developing anymore.

For convenience, do you have a recording on actual hardware? Several examples on the ReSIDfp C++ page don't sound exactly like the emulator, but sound odd in their own ways. Like the Wizball title theme, for example.

Feel free to fire off an e-mail, I haven't made any emulation level changes, just enough minor modifications to get it to compile. Such as dumping that stdint.h from the VC directory, since 2010 comes with its own, and the one he includes is missing multiple types that are used throughout the sidplay library.

Also, this version does support a regular version of ReSID, but the filtering in that copy of ReSID is totally broken. I could try dropping in the last original release of ReSID to see if that functions, though.

foo_sid

Reply #86
I don't really want to install Java to test the latest Java player for the same bug [..]
I checked this Java player and it appears to be unable to play the file Once_More.sid. I double checked with other SID files which it was able to play though.

For convenience, do you have a recording on actual hardware?
Sorry, no. I would have offered such as a reference in my previous post if I could.

Since I was wrong with my previous examples to showcase clipping I uploaded another example which I guess demonstrates clipping, or whatever you identify it really to be.
This time encoded with FLAC to avoid possible lossy encoding artifacts to alter the result. For example check from playtime 00:22.

foo_sid

Reply #88
SID plugin needs oscillator frequency switch

The games played on a UK versus US commodore sound fundamentally different because the SID chip's clock oscillator is literally a multiple of the power line frequency. It's 60Hz in the US, and 50Hz in the UK. I live in the US so I am familiar with how the music in games is "supposed to" sound over here in the US. However I find that the music sounds a bit funny with the Foobar2000 SIDplugin. I can only assume that it is running based on a 50Hz oscillator and that the writer of the plugin lives in the UK or some other European nation (I think they all use 50Hz power over there). Unfortunately the writer of this plugin didn't take into account American users of this plugin when writing it, so none of the options in its configuration screen allows the oscillator base frequency to be set to 60Hz.

I hope that by writing this post, the writer of this plugin will read this post and see the need to fix his plugin so it can have its oscillator's base frequency set between 50 and 60 Hz in the preferences screen for the plugin, so each person can set it to how they remember hearing the music when they were a kid.

foo_sid

Reply #89
No, I am not living anywhere in Europe, I just never bothered to add overrides for these settings. The thing is, all SID files specify which region they were meant to be played in, so the emulator acts accordingly. They also specify which SID model they were designed for.

I have added overrides for both clock speed and SID model, which is sure to please some people.

foo_sid

Reply #90
I have a request that you hopefully can implement into upcoming releases of this excellent plugin.

When listening to SID's, many of them contain second long sound effects and other things and i love that you can put in a limit of how long each song should play, e.g. 3 min. What is missing though is an option to specify a maximum amount of allowed silence between each song before it switches to a new one. This would really remedy the issue with short sound effects...

If i could allow a maximum of e.g. 5 sec of silence before it automatically switches to the next tune, i wouldn't have to do this manually. Anyway, thanks for a superb plugin!!

foo_sid

Reply #91
Hi kode54. Another vote here for stereo output from regular SIDs. I love the plugin and have used it to generate MP3s for playing in my car. The MP3s are output in mono mode, which typically wouldn't be such a big problem except my car stereo (2012 Sonata) plays mono through the left side speakers only. I don't mind if the actual audio is mono as long as the output MP3 is stereo. I've been using Pieknyman's plugin in XMPlay to generate MP3s since I tried a stack of things and wasn't actually able to devise a string of LAME parameters within foobar2000 which would take WAVs from your plugin and fluff them out into stereo. Bonus points if it's at all possible for you to create a fake stereo effect such as with the XMPlay plugin. I'd much rather use foobar's interface for everything and only use XMplay when mandatory (gritting my teeth the whole time because of its abysmal UI). Thank you sir!

-Dhry

foo_sid

Reply #92
I could look into how to play a fake stereo mode, but until such time as I do, you can add a "Convert mono to stereo" DSP to your conversion chain, which will always promote mono streams without altering anything else.

foo_sid

Reply #93
I could look into how to play a fake stereo mode, but until such time as I do, you can add a "Convert mono to stereo" DSP to your conversion chain, which will always promote mono streams without altering anything else.

Hmm. I tried this before and it didn't work, but I was adding it to the output DSP chain. I just looked again and realised per your comment that you can add DSPs into the convertor system as well, which works perfectly. Thank you!! Still would be great if you could fancify some of the features in the foo_sid plugin when you have the time (I know you're upgrading foo_dumb quite regularly); I listen to SIDs almost 50/50 with regular music.

All the best
Dhry

foo_sid

Reply #94
Nice plugin!  I'm having trouble playing a SID file (Synth_Sample.sid) from the latest HVSC (#58).  All nine tracks default to 3 minutes even after I've entered the path to the Songlengths.txt database.  The status shows 42212 entries loaded, yet all tracks still default to 3 minutes.  I also tried highlighting all the tracks and doing a right click Properties -> Tools -> Reload info, but that didn't change anything.

Any other things I can try?  My OS is Windows 8 Pro and I'm running foobar2000 v1.2.3.  Thanks.

foo_sid

Reply #95
Hey  You've got a lot of people asking for things on here. In fact, I was going to ask for help with the song database thing, but I seem to have it sorted - I think!

I just wanted to say thank you for this plugin. I now have a pretty decent stream with chiptunes from pretty much every old console. 31 weeks of music! So yeah - great work, and thanks.

foo_sid

Reply #96
I am using foobar 1.2.9 with foo_sid 1.31 in portable mode
Songlength status: not loaded
But some tunes like synth_sample.sid by Georg Feil seem to have songlengths applied, but the final_synth_sample_i.sid by rub hubbard does not
I tested it in acid64 and there both files have songlengths applied

foo_sid

Reply #97
Songs will end if the original song ends inside the emulator and stops running. For actual song lengths to be reported, you need to load a song length database. This may be from a path relative to your foobar2000 portable directory, so it will be saved internally as a relative path. Currently, it supports storing paths at or inside of the component's directory (which will be wiped when you update it with foobar, unfortunately), the profile path, and the player path. I suggest storing the file in the portable directory, or a subdirectory underneath it. It will be resolved to an absolute path when it loads the database.

foo_sid

Reply #98
Songs will end if the original song ends inside the emulator and stops running.

The sids never end as such, they keep running the play routine even if the song has ended

For actual song lengths to be reported, you need to load a song length database.

Now a weird thing has happened: Yesterday foobar said "Not loaded", today it has been loaded but nothing seems to have changed.
It still only has songlengths on some tracks and not for all of those which are in the songlength db.
See: Foobar with some songlengths
Well, partially loaded? since this is in the songlength db - match that with the above screenshot:
; /MUSICIANS/H/Hubbard_Rob/Final_Synth_Sample_I.sid
b60484180e2d97693e497b7f7e647b08=2:34 1:29 1:44 2:30 1:55 1:17 1:56 0:03 0:02 0:02 0:02 0:03 0:02 0:03 0:04 0:03 0:02 0:02 0:06 0:03 0:01 0:03 0:04 0:04 0:04 0:04

This may be from a path relative to your foobar2000 portable directory, so it will be saved internally as a relative path. Currently, it supports storing paths at or inside of the component's directory (which will be wiped when you update it with foobar, unfortunately), the profile path, and the player path. I suggest storing the file in the portable directory, or a subdirectory underneath it. It will be resolved to an absolute path when it loads the database.

I guess you are referring to the songlength database from the hvsc. It comes with the hvsc package or update. I really don't want to copy it anywhere or you will have to do that for each update of hvsc.
I can see it's format can cause some trouble but it could be fixed by setting the base dir of hvsc ?

foo_sid

Reply #99
Hi kode54,

one for reed.rsid can't be played with the latest release v1.32 of foo_sid, I just get silent output (no crash/error). The previous release v1.31 has no such issues. Probably relates to the update of sidplay-residfp to revision 1516?