Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: .opus on JVC KD-X33MBS car/marine stereo? (Read 3053 times) previous topic - next topic

.opus on JVC KD-X33MBS car/marine stereo?

The most recent firmware that I have for the above JVC stereo does not play .opus.  I was wondering if there is a way to flash it such that it can play .opus files?  I'm thinking of how RockBox was flashed to media players...Is this something that is being done or can be done?  I'm not holding my breath but thought HA would be a good place to start.

Re: .opus on JVC KD-X33MBS car/marine stereo?

Reply #1
Assuming you had a device that had a reprogrammable audio decoder, you could port or write a new firmware for it.  Start by taking it apart and see what CPU is in it.

Reply #2
How about a workaround, you install JVC Music Play APP on an android device and connect to your receiver using usb for playback.
You can use the JVC to scroll.

Reply #3
[
Assuming you had a device that had a reprogrammable audio decoder, you could port or write a new firmware for it.  Start by taking it apart and see what CPU is in it.

Well... I suppose I could take it apart, but it's in my Jeep which doesn't have doors or a hard top April-November so I don't think opening it is a good idea.  Beyond that, maybe someone else could port or write new firmware, but I don't have the skills for that.  Getting a bigger USB stick that can hold all the .flacs I want would likely be preferable.

How about a workaround, you install JVC Music Play APP on an android device and connect to your receiver using usb for playback.
You can use the JVC to scroll.

That is a thought but it sort of defeats the purpose of having a stereo that can use a USB stick...If I'm going to use my phone, I might as well just pull from my MPD server.

Well, I guess it was worth a shot!  I figured if there was anywhere on the interwebz where people would know if it could be done, it was here.  Oh well...

Reply #4
According to google you are the only one to ever mention it. JVC KD-X33MBS ".opus"

Reply #5
I've also tried to find car radios that will play Opus and it just doesn't seem to have been built into the relevant hardware just yet.  Or if it has, it isn't advertised as being supported.  Given the very poor support for Vorbis, which has been around a lot longer, I'm not confident it will ever be widely supported.  As mentioned, direct playback is already taking a back seat to Bluetooth and through playback from other devices.

Reply #6
According to google you are the only one to ever mention it. JVC KD-X33MBS ".opus"

Not to be a smart ass, but duh!  That's why I asked, i.e., to see if there was something I'd missed.  If there was information about it available then there would have been no point. 

I've also tried to find car radios that will play Opus and it just doesn't seem to have been built into the relevant hardware just yet.  Or if it has, it isn't advertised as being supported.  Given the very poor support for Vorbis, which has been around a lot longer, I'm not confident it will ever be widely supported.  As mentioned, direct playback is already taking a back seat to Bluetooth and through playback from other devices.
  That's fair but I'd add that .opus is part of Android and it is the codec Google/Alphabet stores YouTube files in.  From the standpoint of back-end support, .opus leapt over Vorbis.