Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Connecting headphone to a Sound card ! (Read 4178 times) previous topic - next topic

Connecting headphone to a Sound card !

Hello guys ,
this is my very first post in here 

I got my first  sound card which is the Asus Xonar Essence STX which has an onboard headphone amplifier .. and I bought my ATH-M50 whick lacks a bit of bass to be driven by the Xonar.

My question is .. there are 2 ways to connect the headphone to the sound card !!

1- Is through the 6.33mm jack
(third from the left) 

2- Is through the RCA Y cable (white and red)
(the 1'st two from the left)

______

If I connect them through #1 .. the card gives me the choice to adjust the impedance to suit my headphones  .. while #2 doesn't .
______

Which is better ? RCA or jack .. & which gives the full utilization of the amp without sacrificing my cans ?

Thank you for your time .

Reply #1
#1 is for headphones. #2 is for speakers. as clearly stated in the manual. so what is the question?

Reply #2
In the manual it says connect your headphones to the RCA , too 

check this out

What do think ??!

Reply #3
Hello guys ,
this is my very first post in here 

I got my first  sound card which is the Asus Xonar Essence STX which has an onboard headphone amplifier .. and I bought my ATH-M50 whick lacks a bit of bass to be driven by the Xonar.

So the first thing you want to do add some bass so the headphones sound good to you.

My question is .. there are 2 ways to connect the headphone to the sound card !!

1- Is through the 6.33mm jack
(third from the left) 

2- Is through the RCA Y cable (white and red)
(the 1'st two from the left)

If I connect them through #1 .. the card gives me the choice to adjust the impedance to suit my headphones  .. while #2 doesn't .

More details please. What do you mean by "the card gives me the choice to adjust the impedance to suit my headphones  .. while #2 does"

Since you've been so kind as to post parts of the manual that show other things, can you post the part of the manual that describes this?

Which is better ? RCA or jack .. & which gives the full utilization of the amp without sacrificing my cans ?

The classic answer is "whichever one sounds better to you".

It seems to me that until you address the bass problem, the answer would be: neither.

Reply #4
Personally I'd try the one with 'Headphone' written on it first

Reply #5
I bought my ATH-M50 whick lacks a bit of bass

I find audiophiles and HA members alike put too much emphasis on studio monitoring/flat frequency response cans. Other board members then go out and buy such cans strictly for listening purposes (I know I did), and complain that they sound a bit dull (lack of bass comes up often). I suggest buying not-so-flat frequency response cans that make listening to your favorite music a lot more fun (they tend to be cheaper, too).

Reply #6
Well thanks every one

For now, I have the M50 hooked up to the 6.33mm Jack out .. and it sounds fantastic .. the bass really punches much better than before (integrated  ALC889a on a MoBo)

In the Essence .. there are 3 options for headphones impedance  (only available when 6.33mm jack is used).. the M50 has a 38Ohms impedance.

those options don't appear when the Y RCA is in use.

The M50 is a studio monitor headphones but gives you a very high detailed sound .. plus it is about 129$
I'v never tried a good sound staging headphones .. but upgraded from a cheap ones to the M50 .. thats like WoW to me guys .. lol

Reply #7
In the Essence .. there are 3 options for headphones impedance  (only available when 6.33mm jack is used).. the M50 has a 38Ohms impedance.

That doesn't say impedance, it says gain.  Its just adjusting the volume.  I would try the lowest setting, and if that is too quiet, try increasing the volume.

Reply #8
For now, I have the M50 hooked up to the 6.33mm Jack out .. and it sounds fantastic .. the bass really punches much better than before (integrated  ALC889a on a MoBo)

I'll bet money that the big difference is that you can play them louder. Motherboard headphone jacks are typically limited to a maximum output of about 1 volt, which IME just isn't enough with most headphones.  OTOH, 2 volts max generally works for me. I generally don't use all 2 volts, but it takes more than 1 volt with most of the headphones I have.

those options don't appear when the Y RCA is in use.

The options look like various gain options. Higher impedance phones tend to want more voltage. I agree with the other post that said that you should look at this as a voltage option, not an impedance option. Impedance was only mentioned because of its usually effects on voltage requirements.

The M50 is a studio monitor headphones but gives you a very high detailed sound .. plus it is about 129$

I've got a pair and I think they are just fine.  Pretty smooth, pretty uncolored.

I'v never tried a good sound staging headphones .. but upgraded from a cheap ones to the M50 .. thats like WoW to me guys .. lol

IME there are no significant differences in actual imaging with headphones, Two speakers with perfect directivity in very small rooms with a human head in between. It is all the same. Open ear phones theorectically allow some left <> right leakage and leakage from the room but it is usually minimal. 

The room leakage is usually a PITA unless what leaks in is words from she who must be obeyed! ;-)