Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: This AAC file has no "seekbar" (Read 12579 times) previous topic - next topic

This AAC file has no "seekbar"

Hi

I downloaded a music video from YouTube and extracted the audio out with MP4Box. Here is the result:
https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D317495_2839236_755670

foobar2000 plays it well but there is no seekbar slider. However if I play the file with Windows Media Player the seekbar slider works normally so I guess the problem is not in the file itself?

Reply #1
Raw aac streams don't support sample exact seeking (without parsing the whole file first), so foobar disables seeking. Programs that let you seek in the file are not sample exact. To enable seeking in foobar, put the raw aac file in a mp4 container. You can do this with mp4box as far as I know.

Reply #2
Raw aac streams don't support sample exact seeking (without parsing the whole file first), so foobar disables seeking. Programs that let you seek in the file are not sample exact. To enable seeking in foobar, put the raw aac file in a mp4 container. You can do this with mp4box as far as I know.

It seems like a Microsoft style answer: "It's not a bug, it's a feature"...

I don't know the reason why you can seek in aac files with Media Player Classic, with old "Winamp", with VLC and even with the stupid Windows Media Player and you can't in foobar, unless you put the audio file in an mp4 container.  If I want an mp4 container it's ok, but if I want only seek into a dumb aac file, why it's not possible?

Forgive my poor english.

Regards

ggmanci

Reply #3
foobar2000 mandates sample-exact seeking for the sake of accurate timing and processing. This is not possible in raw AAC files—at least not without consuming a lot of time in order to construct a seek-table like that present in an MP4 container. Thus, foobar2000 disables all seeking within raw AAC.

The other players you mention are presumably not sample-exact, and therefore are not really relevant.

Almost all of this was already stated above by The Link.

Reply #4
MPC-HC does it, it uses FFmpeg like foobar2000. Again, can this be implemented in foobar2000?

Reply #5
MPC-HC does it, it uses FFmpeg like foobar2000. Again, can this be implemented in foobar2000?

Haven't you read the previous replies?
MPC-HC doesn't support sample accurate seek on ADTS. In fact, you will notice that even duration shown by MPC-HC for ADTS is not correct.
ADTS header doesn't contain timestamp, serial numbers or something that is required to tell frame's position, which means that you cannot even do seek bisection on ADTS (like in the case of MPEG-TS or Ogg).

Reply #6
Oops my bad, the name Media Player Classic always confuses me, I always think they talk about the older/different version.

Thanks nu774.

Reply #7
Jeez, why not let users seek those raw aac files using some sort of fallback that can be enabled with a checkbox in the Advanced section of preferences?

And if it "mandates sample-exact seeking" why not at least report the reason to the user? It just feels like it simply doesn't work, like it's a bug.

Reply #8
Add a "Package in MP4 container" context menu command and that solves it. Hell, you could add this with foo_run and MP4Box.

OP should really just update his process to get MP4Box to emit valid MP4 streams. -isma is the option, I think.

Reply #9
Thank you, but I'm not really asking for workarounds. I'm suggesting to avoid non-obvious behavior.

Reply #12
Thank you, but I'm not really asking for workarounds. I'm suggesting to avoid non-obvious behavior.
Using raw AAC is non-obvious. Why is it so hard for you to create compliant MP4 files?

For some reasons people with silly raw AAC files pop up regularly. Maybe Peter should add an option to "Multiplex into MP4", since f2k already uses ffmpeg. This would be similar to the MP3 VBR header fix stuff.
It's only audiophile if it's inconvenient.

Reply #14
fb2k decodes your aac file to PCM 32bit and sends this pcm to ffmpeg. I think it's not what you want.

Maybe foo_run will do the trick.

Reply #15
fb2k decodes your aac file to PCM 32bit and sends this pcm to ffmpeg. I think it's not what you want.
In theory it'd be nice if Converter offered an option checkbox "Don't decode files before sending to encoder". In practice though I can see a lot of people shooting themselves in the foot. The better you hide an option, and the more you stress it's advanced and for special cases, the more people who should not use it will try to.
It's only audiophile if it's inconvenient.

Reply #16
Maybe foo_run will do the trick.

that should work as you'd only be passing the filename for ffmpeg to process. the only thing you might need to consider is how it handles selections of multiple tracks??